• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

xaon60

Has anyone done a poll to find out if a greater number of failures occurred with people driving 4 ohm speakers versus 8 ohm ones?

No anomaly on R-820F examined at 5.4 Ohms and at the lowest at 3.2 Ohms. Still a marvel of listening with room correction, low frequencies in the bones. Used it for a little over an hour yesterday afternoon at a fairly high volume.

klimal

It happened again. 6 months after getting it back from the first repair, it started to crackle and hiss in the left output and gradually lose its spl. Now it is out of warrany and i would need to pay for shipping and repair in China.
Is it worth the hassle. I must say it was a great listen when it worked.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It happened again. 6 months after getting it back from the first repair, it started to crackle and hiss in the left output and gradually lose its spl. Now it is out of warrany and i would need to pay for shipping and repair in China.
That's a bummer. I have a PA5 also. Good so far, but if I was in your situation, I'd just replace it with the Mark II. Especially now that it's on sale.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Ouch. My PA5 is still working and sounds great. I would hold off on purchasing a Topping PA5 II until more time has passed to assess its' reliability.

MAB

Major Contributor
Topping and the resellers said they extended the warranty to 2 years. Is your amp over 2 years old?

Toku

Major Contributor
No matter how many times I repair PA5, I don't know if it will work properly. It's like buying a lottery.
I would request a replacement PA5 ll during the warranty period.

Eldus

My warranty is ending in February. No issues so far. But I am a little worried, and with the PA5 II and PA7 on sale...

Talisman

Forum Donor
That's a bummer. I have a PA5 also. Good so far, but if I was in your situation, I'd just replace it with the Mark II. Especially now that it's on sale.

In practice he is complaining about having had a defective product which, despite a repair, has already had new problems and the advice is to give money to the same company?
So are you rewarding a company that used you as a beta tester again? did I get it right?
I don't know, but am I the only one who finds the idea ridiculous?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
My warranty is ending in February. No issues so far. But I am a little worried, and with the PA5 II and PA7 on sale...
FYI

Fosi Audio is bringing a differential (balanced) version of their V3 amplifier to market called the 'ZA3'.

The Fosi Audio ZA3 may be an alternative for Topping PA5 owners - if the ZA3 is reliable.

dsnyder0cnn

I don't know, but am I the only one who finds the idea ridiculous?
To each his own. I don't know of another $350 amplifier that sounds as good as my PA5. If it died, I'd want another one, and I'd jump at the chance to pick it up for only $200. It's safe to assume that Topping learned their lesson with the OG PA5 and won't repeat the same mistakes in the Mark II. For $200 (less than the cost of a nice dinner out with my wife), I'd be willing to take that chance. If we were talking $2k, probably not.

Vladetz

To each his own. I don't know of another $350 amplifier that sounds as good as my PA5. If it died, I'd want another one, and I'd jump at the chance to pick it up for only $200. It's safe to assume that Topping learned their lesson with the OG PA5 and won't repeat the same mistakes in the Mark II. For $200 (less than the cost of a nice dinner out with my wife), I'd be willing to take that chance. If we were talking $2k, probably not.
Maybe topping pa7? More expensive, but close
Still no reports of failures

dsnyder0cnn

Maybe topping pa7? More expensive, but close
Still no reports of failures
Perhaps. But, have there been any reports of issues with the PA5 Mark II? I've not seen any, and it's been out about the same amount of time.

MAB

Major Contributor
Perhaps. But, have there been any reports of issues with the PA5 Mark II? I've not seen any, and it's been out about the same amount of time.
Mis-wired polarity:
The new TP RA3 amp is blowing up though, likely more problems with Topping's encapsulation obsession. The PA5 II also has circuit encapsulation, so Topping continue to make amps that are bound to blow up. I would paste links but I got tired of pasting links to Topping's reliability problems. Their customer service is way worse though, so not sure if details about reliability are the core problem, yes reliability may be technically interesting, but given the after-sales service will affect all of their products probably a good idea to not recommend Topping until they demonstrate good business practices.

MAB

Major Contributor
But Topping didn't learn their lesson one single bit.
For instance the LA90D has 50% showing signs of poor survival rate:
RA3 encapsulated module blown up:
Repeat purchase of this defective gear and excuses made for reliability problems doesn't help.
Also, in 100 tries you won't be able to distinguish between a properly working Topping and another amp. That's if your amp doesn't have a marginality that you just hadn't noticed.

Last edited:

Vladetz

Anyway after Shenzhenaudio offered me refund for faulty pa5 (and shipment) I set e70v and pa7 with two arctic p12 fans running on 5v

Attachments

• IMG_20231116_222218.jpg
    IMG_20231116_222218.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 25

MAB

Major Contributor
Anyway after Shenzhenaudio offered me refund for faulty pa5 (and shipment) I set e70v and pa7 with two arctic p12 fans running on 5v
It's kind of sad the number of people who now have fans running on their Topping gear, out of the mistaken belief that it will help with the reliability of their Topping gear. Here is Topping's own statement:
Not something that can be solved by a fan, it is a localized internal overheating that can be improved by adjusting the manufacturing process of the components. As a whole there is no problem with PA5 heat dissipation.

Topping's unreliability causes some understandable hysteria.:eek:o_O That's one of the bad side effects of unreliability.

Using a fan, even one that is said to be 'silent', eliminates any performance advantage the PA5 has over other amps.

Top Bottom