• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Poll] What is your experience with the reliability of the Topping LA90D?

How was your experiences so far with a Topping LA90D amplifier?

• I had problems (out of the box) and received a replacement

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lindong

Quick update on my situation: When I switched from D90LE to DX5 as the DAC, everything is working normally now. Will debug why D90LE did not work later - looks to be user error on my end.

Bryguy

Quick update on my situation: When I switched from D90LE to DX5 as the DAC, everything is working normally now. Will debug why D90LE did not work later - looks to be user error on my end.
How are you liking the LA90D?

CarbonMakerU

Forum Donor
If you step back and look at the sheer amounts of new "stuff" continuously coming from Topping it would be miraculous that there weren't problems. They can and do make great stuff, but with their production and service methodology it's always going to be rolling the dice. Between their horrendous state of the economy, and the overall themes of decoupling, and on-shoring, times are changing. We are now in a place where with a little research you have tons of value in audio without risking non-existent PRC service.

lindong

How are you liking the LA90D?
I’m blown away and will buy the second unit from APOS shortly to try the mono config. At the moment the unit is driving some old NHT 2.5i speakers in my office and two things jumped out:

1. Sound stage expansion in all three dimensions. That 3D/holographic feel has transformed the listening experience.
2. The bass: I had SVS Micro 3000 in the the NHT setup through SMSL A300. Now NHT 2.5i with LA90D can hold its own on the bass front - very tight and coherent.

Buying the second unit to try mono config on my KEF R11 next.

I've had my D90LE, Pre90 and original LA90 for about 12 months. Use it quite often, and I'm not shy with the volume either. The Pre90 is also driving a sub.

No problems encountered, in fact I'd but another LA90 if I could find one! Mine are covered by a 2 year warranty with Electromod in the UK.

lindong

The 8/15 shipment batch sold out. My second unit is now coming from the 10/20 shipment batch, btw.

Snix

My 2 units of August batch are going strong over 2 week plus!!!

"We are pushing the record guys you can do it!!!"

OP
anphex

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I sold mine months ago due to fear of them breaking down (and China/Topping crumbling due to economic issues + real estate bubble) and I kind of miss them now for no particular reason. Maybe I don't trust the internal processing of my Denon 3700 + Audyssey with Audio from Windows 11 over HDMI after all?

I still have my SMSL SU-9N. Maybe I should grab this bad boy?

I just wonder why if it is so inexpensive considering its larger brother that costs 300 € more. Is it really just the casing?

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
I sold mine months ago due to fear of them breaking down (and China/Topping crumbling due to economic issues + real estate bubble) and I kind of miss them now for no particular reason. Maybe I don't trust the internal processing of my Denon 3700 + Audyssey with Audio from Windows 11 over HDMI after all?

I just wonder why if it is so inexpensive considering its larger brother that costs 300 €. Is it really just the casing?
That and the trigger as it seems.
I would get the bigger one just for the idea of better thermals (and because it looks much-much nicer),but that's only me.

OP
anphex

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I took the small one. 300 € more for a case are just too hefty imo. I'll see how the thermals go, but I have a nicely vented space to place the amp.

I have gone full cycle now. NC400, Purifi, LA90D and now NCx500. I really really hope it's the end now :D. Of course I always sold the "older " amp for about 80% of original price.

I also looked at Topping PA5 and PA7 (plus) but it's basically you get what you pay and for long term satisfaction and repairability the NCx500 is unmatched.

1698054024630.png

dan_uk

I just wonder why if it is so inexpensive considering its larger brother that costs 300 € more. Is it really just the casing?
I managed to send my LA90D back to the China supplier lucky, and have since bought a Nord One NCx500ST Stereo Power Amplifier with dual PSUs. Very happy with it indeed, lovely bit of kit and is very well made. https://nordacoustics.co.uk/product-category/nord-one-ncx500/

SashaR

I do.
An amp is an amp. Be it desktop, tabletop, laptop, rack mount, or sitting on the floor. They're all still amps. Size is irrelevant.
Agree, the company is not innocent. From reliability issues (due to bad design) to warranty support, to IMHO shady business practices when it comes to declaring values for customs, etc.

The horror stories seem to be endless. No joking, I can't think of anyone I know who owns some form of Topping gear, hasn't had issue.
Because of how well they always seem to measure, for a while I really considered getting a Topping dac or amp. Thankfully after hearing so many bad stories and Toppings lack of support, especially on this site, I have lost any urge I may have had to own a Topping.
I have TOPPING's DAC and Amp (D90SE & LA90). I have not an issues for about 14 months. (I listen at 65-70 dB in stereo configuration with 6 and 4 ohm speakers)

Last edited:

SashaR

Glad to meet ya and ya do now!! I have owned the PA3s for 18 months, not one problem and one hell of a little amp. I've owned the D30 DAC for 3 years works like a charm no issues whatsoever. Look, here's the thing : any mass produced product can fail, Topping is certainly no exception. To me, their biggest problem is not having world - wide service centers. Most have a problem with the service, not the product. And let's keep this in mind : happy customers don't complain.
I have TOPPING's DAC and Amp (D90SE & LA90). I have not an issues for about 14 - 18 months. (I listen at 65-70 dB in stereo configuration with 6 and 4 ohm speakers)

MAB

Major Contributor
Excuse me for the repeating my question. Can you help me with your answer?
(Besides more power, is there any reason to replace the LA90 with the LA90D?)
According to the poll at the top of this thread, a ~50% fail rate.

SashaR

According to the poll at the top of this thread, a ~50% fail rate.
I am asking about the TECHNICAL (acoustic) arguments in favor of replacing the LA90 with the LA90D.

MAB

Major Contributor
I am asking about the TECHNICAL (acoustic) arguments in favor of replacing the LA90 with the LA90D.
None.
Hard to find two more identical amps, Topping churns out this stuff one after another. They are technically identical until they break. And to be clear, a defective LA90D will sound odd, reliability is a really big deal.

Top Bottom