• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad to say the replacement "PA5 II Plus" also died after only 5 days.
I was asked to destroy it and send them pics for the refund which I did. I received the refund but lost out on the Paypal commission which was deducted when i transferred out to my bank acc.
What was more disappointing was when I also took a peek inside the destroyed unit. It was the PA5II without the plus although it came in a box that was labelled as such.
Probably a refurbished unit that was also faulty to begin with.

View attachment 346119
I thought the (plus) was just a beefier power supply, higher current?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was the PA5II without the plus
The only difference between the plus, and non plus is the power supply. The amp itself is identical. You'll note the label says "PA5 II Series"

klimal

I stand corrected, not much of consolation tho' coz it lasted anly 5 days.
I was using the original power brick that came with the PA5, so it probably didn't matter.
All in a rather disappointing experience.

Roland68

Major Contributor
So the new pa 5plus are rubbish too?
No, the PA5, PA5 II/Plus are actually really great amplifiers, but due to this absolute nonsense, which consists of drowning the small signal circuit in casting compound, these amplifiers become brand new scrap.

And because Topping still hasn't identified the actual problem, the new PA5 II/Plus has even worse measurements than the old PA5.
Why? Because Topping has now packed the entire circuit around the OPAmps into the two gray/black boxes with significantly longer cable paths, nice and far away from the OPAmps. Anyone who has a bit of knowledge about circuit layout in general and PFFB knows what a stupid idea this is.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Be careful - there is no evidence of the II being particularly susceptible to failure so far.
I already have two PA5 IIs that have failed in my circle of friends. A channel failed in both of them and one of the two grey/black plastic boxes at the top had a dent. A picture of such a dent was posted somewhere.
I recommended the amplifier to both friends because it worked well for me and I assumed that Topping would have understood the actual problem with the PA5. Luckily these amplifiers were purchased through Amazon and refunded. One now has my PA5 II and the other got a 35 year old NAD 3020E from me, which still works perfectly and can easily keep up with the PA5 II in terms of sound.
A quick measurement also narrowed down the problem to the box/OPamps in question. Don't be mad if I'm being sarcastic, but with 2 out of 3 PA5 II within 4 months, it's definitely just a coincidence.

And the nonsense with the outsourced circuit boards... :facepalm: To hide a circuit that everyone knows, that there are white papers about and that can still be easily re-engineered? All the problems, even with the other devices, are just based on this nonsense, but instead of stopping it, they top it (pun intended).

Holmz

Major Contributor
I stand corrected, not much of consolation tho' coz it lasted anly 5 days.
I was using the original power brick that came with the PA5, so it probably didn't matter.
All in a rather disappointing experience.

so are you” done” buying Topping?

iLoveCats

Well PA5 number 3 is dead on arrival. It's actually a PA5 II as a warranty replacement for PA5 number 2. The power supply is no good. No light on the brick. It's getting 120v AC and putting out 0v DC. See what Apos says now. I had a little subjective test lined up with a Fosi ZA3 and PA5 II sharing the same balanced signal and A/B switched via remote on a Neohipo VU meter that allows switching between 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers. Now I'll have to wait a month again or more probably.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Well PA5 number 3 is dead on arrival. It's actually a PA5 II as a warranty replacement for PA5 number 2. The power supply is no good. No light on the brick. It's getting 120v AC and putting out 0v DC. See what Apos says now. I had a little subjective test lined up with a Fosi ZA3 and PA5 II sharing the same balanced signal and A/B switched via remote on a Neohipo VU meter that allows switching between 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers. Now I'll have to wait a month again or more probably.

At some point it seems like one could assume that there is a possibility of a trend.
Allowing 3 strikes is somewhat like baseball.

iLoveCats

Apos is sending another power brick. I asked to exchange and pay for an LA90D but they said no. I've already moved on to the Fosi but I did want to A/B test the PA5 against it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It seems that some of the fault here is on the reseller's side,as there are indicators that they maybe recycling the returns?
(some users on other forums report boxes like been opened and closed again)
I can't get to my head that so many devices fail out of the factory and company does not discontinue it at the spot.

iLoveCats

It seems that some of the fault here is on the reseller's side,as there are indicators that they maybe recycling the returns?
(some users on other forums report boxes like been opened and closed again)
I can't get to my head that so many devices fail out of the factory and company does not discontinue it at the spot.
For the record this one I just got was definitely unopened. Just a DOA power supply. The goofy plug they use left me no way to even try the amp with another power supply.

mrmeng430

Earlier last year I started having the crackling sound when I power on this device, but yesterday the crackling sound stopped when I turned it on. I did change power outlet and input cables and speaker cables before yesterday, maybe that's why it helped. Not sure what I did right.

Last edited:

akafreak

Created an account to vote. Left channel volume is too low compared to right channel.

Going to try gamerpaddy D01 module replacement solution. Its amazing one man was able to find a solution which Topping hasn't been able to solve yet from what I have surmised after reading 1000 posts here.

Martinvb

Created an account to vote. Left channel volume is too low compared to right channel.

Going to try gamerpaddy D01 module replacement solution. Its amazing one man was able to find a solution which Topping hasn't been able to solve yet from what I have surmised after reading 1000 posts here.
You tipped the balance: now there is a majority of voters who report problems with the PA5. Apparently I am increasingly lucky to have a unit that still works flawlessly after almost 2,5 years…

akafreak

I can try going for Topping 2 year warranty but whats the point. After going through the complicated process, paying for shipping, lying to customs, waiting for months, I will get another refurbished unit which will also be encapsulated in the same potting compound and will definitely fail again.

It is cheaper and easier for me to try my soldering skills with the replacement D01 module from gamerpaddy.

The left channel has gone quiet and has significant higher distortion than earlier. It's a weird product. If it was any other amplifier, I would have just tossed it. But it is genuinely good when it works. So, it deserves another chance. Also, I will get a soldering project for a few weekends.

But I won't be buying any other Topping product. And my trust in ChiFi has been shaken. Performance without reliability is pointless. I have an old Onkyo amplifier that is still going strong even after so many years of rough use in an almost sealed off TV cabinet. It doesn't sound as good as Topping but it has done a consistent job over the years. And that's more important in the long run.

iLoveCats

Hey it's April 13th and I finally got my PA5 II replacement power supply. It's been a few months I think. In the mean time I've acquired a Fosi ZA3. I'm comparing the two right now, level matched with a multimeter. The Fosi gain is at about 3/4 and the PA5 II is all the way up. I have a Neohipo VU meter that will switch amps and speaker with a remote control. I'm listening to Roger Waters and Pink Floyd tracks as I know them best. The Fosi has a grainy/hard top end, it can be slightly irritating in parts and the Topping is just crazy smooth at all times. The Fosi sounds a little more live maybe? Like a Klipsch speaker sound. Too much live sometimes. A sizzle? I can A/B instantly and check. I don't hate the Fosi, I like the look and I like the gain, I don't have to wring my pre-amp's neck for volume. I'm guessing 95% of people who would listen to the two wouldn't be able to tell anything. I'm going to buy 2 Fosi V3 mono's next and try them versus the Topping.
PXL_20240414_015021336.MP.jpg
PXL_20240414_015047376.jpg

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey it's April 13th and I finally got my PA5 II replacement power supply. It's been a few months I think. In the mean time I've acquired a Fosi ZA3. I'm comparing the two right now, level matched with a multimeter. The Fosi gain is at about 3/4 and the PA5 II is all the way up. I have a Neohipo VU meter that will switch amps and speaker with a remote control. I'm listening to Roger Waters and Pink Floyd tracks as I know them best. The Fosi has a grainy/hard top end, it can be slightly irritating in parts and the Topping is just crazy smooth at all times. The Fosi sounds a little more live maybe? Like a Klipsch speaker sound. Too much live sometimes. A sizzle? I can A/B instantly and check. I don't hate the Fosi, I like the look and I like the gain, I don't have to wring my pre-amp's neck for volume. I'm guessing 95% of people who would listen to the two wouldn't be able to tell anything. I'm going to buy 2 Fosi V3 mono's next and try them versus the Topping. View attachment 363649View attachment 363650
Do you have 8 ohm speakers paired with Fosi ZA3?

Top Bottom