• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Poll] What is your experience with the reliability of the Topping LA90D?

How was your experiences so far with a Topping LA90D amplifier?

• I had problems (out of the box) and received a replacement

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi!
Since some ongoing discussion in this thread I wanted to create a poll where people could vote and then share their experiences.

I have two LA90D in monoblock configuration, figuring these would be the last amps I'd ever need in my lifetime if vented well. Because of the above mentioned thread I was worried about survivor bias because the thread didn't show many clear examples, but I also read some Amzn review of a person who has received a broken one on delivery, seemingly.

So please vote and maybe share some context.

My monoblocks are running for 3 weeks now for about 6 hours a day a least and I have no trouble. Temps are about 32°C-34°C. They get a lot of air and at least 1cm space to the sides.

Edit: Admins feel free to edit some formatting or grammar issues. I wrote this tiredly.

Last edited:

aphysically

Right now it sounds like Apos wants to treat the return of my two failed LA90D like a regular return within a 45 day window with a restocking fee and such. I’m giving a little pushback and we will see what happens.

See below. I didn’t mention anything about my amps being DOA, and the request for return was only in response to them offering it…I had only contacted asking what my warranty options were.

Thank for your reply.

I'd like to acknowledge that your request was received on 05/18.

Since this order has already been delivered for more than 14 days by the time you submitted your request for return, it is subjected to a 20% processing/restocking fee.

We can only consider that the item is DOA if you have submitted a request within 7 days of the delivery of the order. You may visit our documentation for cases like, What if my purchase arrives defective?

As soon as you can let me know if you'd still like to proceed with the return or a warranty replacement, I'll escalate this request to my colleagues from the Returns Team and for them to follow up with you on the next step.

In the meantime, feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Last edited:

LesterNZ

Forum Donor
Can't help noticing that there is no circle to tick for PROBLEM not being addressed to customers & ASR readers. And its' being solved, or not, from the Guangzhou design & manufacturing guys. Somewhat disappointed with the "limited" response from this (presumably?) 'Quality Brand".
jp

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Can't help noticing that there is no circle to tick for PROBLEM not being addressed to customers & ASR readers. And its' being solved, or not, from the Guangzhou design & manufacturing guys. Somewhat disappointed with the "limited" response from this (presumably?) 'Quality Brand".
jp
What? I read this several times and I still don't get it. Maybe it's an English skill issue on my behalf.

aphysically

As easy as it is to pile onto Topping I don’t think there’s anything to criticize in their response at this point in time - you can criticize that I had issues in the first place, but until Topping has had a chance to look at my failed amps I don’t think you can reasonably expect them to have a prognosis yet.

Firespeed

Hi guys,

Just voted !

No problems at all, everything has been running smoothly since I received the amp 2 months ago (March 30, 2023).

Everything works just as it did with the previous PA5. ;)

Thank you for this poll.

aphysically

Right now it sounds like Apos wants to treat the return of my two failed LA90D like a regular return within a 45 day window with a restocking fee and such. I’m giving a little pushback and we will see what happens.

See below. I didn’t mention anything about my amps being DOA, and the request for return was only in response to them offering it…I had only contacted asking what my warranty options were.
It's now been 19 days since I had problems and approaching 2 weeks with no response from Apos. Since the above message Topping says they discussed the case with Apos and to contact Apos again, but Apos has maintained radio silence since then as well. I'm not upset about a particular response or the direction it's going - it hasn't been going any direction at all. Not really sure what to think. Starting to feel like it's just $1600 down the drain.

Last edited:
OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
I am really surprised about two amps failing at the same time. Are you sure you don't just have wrong input enabled, or one of the switches on the back in a wrong position? @aphysically

Moto

I just returned mine after a month. It was being used in stereo config and began crackling in one channel. Disappointing.

joe.decaf

First unit died at about 3 months with double blinking lights. I could restart it but it kept happening. Replacement I received only had the light in front fit channel 2, Chan 1 and 3 showed no light, returned it. I'm on my third unit now and will likely return as I'm not sure I can trust longevity. The company is claiming warehouse issues but you'd think with as many used units they are selling, which I presume are refurbished, they would know what the issue is. I would feel a lot better if they could identify the issue similar to how a car dealer identifies a recall. The idea they have no idea why they fail seems odd.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ugh

Early days - but at 6:8 failed to not failed, this thread is mirroring the similar thread for the PA5 quite closely.

A year or so ago, I really wanted to like topping, but it is feeling quite difficult right now.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Seriously, if the Topping LA-90 has similar reliability issues identified by genuine purchasers/owners, then a public service announcement must be made. No further reviews of their products and no recommendations should be made. Anything else is unacceptable.

Why anyone buys Topping gear completely eludes me. There is not a single other brand with similar mass failures identified on ASR, or anywhere else for that matter.

Disappointing, but not unexpected.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
after the nonsensical situation with the PA5 no one should be buying their amplication

their dacs? maybe but their amps? you take your chances given you know what a clown show apos shenzen hifiexpress will be post sales

Music1969

Major Contributor
Why anyone buys Topping gear completely eludes me. There is not a single other brand with similar mass failures identified on ASR, or anywhere else for that matter.

I've never seen an analogue amp manufacture have to release "firmware update" for every new analogue amp released, like Topping

With their headphone amps, I wait at least 6 months after product release until I even think of buying one - so that all the firmware and field issues have been fixed.

Tony Roma

after the nonsensical situation with the PA5 no one should be buying their amplication

their dacs? maybe but their amps? you take your chances given you know what a clown show apos shenzen hifiexpress will be post sales
Totally agree just sent back a Topping a70 pro to one of those retailers, customer service is laughable, never again

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

This is the main problem. Poor reliability can (almost) be tolerated if the supplier replaces quickly and without question. Topping supply chain spectacularly fails on this point.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
if a japanese company is going thru a local distributor in your neck of the woods then you can mostly be rest assured that they will rectify the situation

remember how yamaha i think were doing updated hdmi board fixes for their budget line of av receivers

and remember how onkyo decided to bury their heads in the sand on a similar issue

i'm not in a mood to entertain companies and their adjacents while they gaslight customers

i think at this time you can assume topping and apos shenzen hifiexpress are in the one and same gaslight business

i would love to see how audiofonics handles this?

OP
anphex

anphex

Forum Donor
Seriously, if the Topping LA-90 has similar reliability issues identified by genuine purchasers/owners, then a public service announcement must be made. No further reviews of their products and no recommendations should be made. Anything else is unacceptable.

I doubt there will be any official coming around making such a statement when even their internal communication is already bad (Amir measurements vs. LA90D specs for example).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt there will be any official coming around making such a statement when even their internal communication is already bad (Amir measurements vs. LA90D specs for example).
Is there a difference between them?

Slayer

If it was possible, I would have liked your post a hundred times over. Anyways,
Glad you said it and did so, politely. My response was going to be much harsher.
Any ASR member should know by now, buying a topping product, is the equivalent of walking across a 50 yr old mine field. Will it blow or not? 50/50

Top Bottom