• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 48726

Yah it's the perfect little amp if it stays running. The new ones are $249. I don't need the plus. The warranty on the original PA5 is supposed to be 2 years. See what Apos says since it's already been changed out once. I just thought I'd share I've been bitten twice by the PA5 reliability woes.
So you're rewarding them with another purchase based on two bad prior devices?

Bleib

Major Contributor
I think I might have done as well. E30, MX3s, E70, DX5 Lite all work perfectly.

iLoveCats

The newly released Fosi Audio ZA3 speaker amplifier has a differential (balanced) input, 12 volt trigger input, and lists for $149.99 at Amazon USA (when in stock). I don't know how the ZA3 measures but I suspect it measures closer to the Fosi Audio 'V3' amplifier than the Topping PA5 II

That is on my list now if I don't get warranty. Thank you. Probably get 2 of these.

iLoveCats

Yeah that was my initial thought. It's just a plug and play replacement on cords with everything I already have. But that Fosi looks really good. Hopefully they come through with warranty. I've also really thought about a Topping LA90D. Reward them with more money

D

Deleted member 48726

Yeah that was my initial thought. It's just a plug and play replacement on cords with everything I already have. But that Fosi looks really good. Hopefully they come through with warranty. I've also really thought about a Topping LA90D. Reward them with more money
You, my friend, is the perfect customer. Any manufacturer would be glad to have you. :)

Bleib

Major Contributor
I'd avoid PA5 and 90D for sure

iLoveCats

My replacement offer is a PA5 II, which is now $249, or I pay $80 ($329) for the PA5 II Plus. The original PA5 I bought was $349.

I'm guessing I won't be getting anymore replacements if the replacement PA5 II quits on me since my original PA5 purchase was Feb 2022.

I'm thinking of just forgoing the warranty exchange and buying a PA5 II and putting it on my PA5 4a power supply, thus making it a PA5 II Plus and reset the warranty period in case the PA5 II is also a problem.

iLoveCats

Or take the PA5 II replacement for free and order a Fosi ZA3 for $149 and wait a month for it.

Lräk

My replacement offer is a PA5 II, which is now $249, or I pay $80 ($329) for the PA5 II Plus. The original PA5 I bought was $349.

I'm guessing I won't be getting anymore replacements if the replacement PA5 II quits on me since my original PA5 purchase was Feb 2022.

I'm thinking of just forgoing the warranty exchange and buying a PA5 II and putting it on my PA5 4a power supply, thus making it a PA5 II Plus and reset the warranty period in case the PA5 II is also a problem.
Why wouldn't you take the replacement instead of buying it?

morpheusX

Its my turn now :(
My PA5 started to exhibit the dreaded random hiss/cracking noises problems 2 months ago.
Sometimes the noises started after a few minutes, other times after a few hours, and other times nothing would happen.

I've sent the amp to audiophonics, i detailed the problem and given the random occurrences, i asked them to run the tests on the PA5 for a few hours so they can check the problems.

I won't be buying Topping again, i don't think the company handled the situation correctly, as, given the problems are due to a bad implementation on their part, they should have assumed the problems and asked the customer to return the amps, and either correcting the problem or offering a voucher for future buys.

I'm now waiting for audiophonics feedback.

iLoveCats

Why wouldn't you take the replacement instead of buying it?
I want to keep the PA5 power supply. It's what makes the PA5 II the 'Plus' version. The PA5 II replacement has a smaller power supply. Also I'm sure the warranty on the original purchase won't continue to cover all these replacements so if I bought new the warranty starts over again and I get to keep my big power supply to make a cheaper PA5 II into a PA5 II Plus

klimal

Just to update on my case.
I have just received a new PA5ii Plus as a replacement for my faulty PA5.
Postage and shipment all borne by Topping.
Thank you MAB for referring me to the Topping Service member here.
Topping also provided great service too.
Tho'the product may be faulty, can't say the same for their service in my case.

New PA5 II Plus.JPGFrt Logo New PA5ii Plus.JPGSBS with V3.JPG

The PA5ii Plus is larget than the Fosi V3 which I bought to use whilst waiting for the faulty PA5 to come back.

Last edited:

Entropy

That's apos for ya. I fought them for months to get a $300 in store credit on my $350 Pa5 after waiting months for a replacement. But to be fair, if topping (who also claimed a two-year warranty) recomp'd Apos, there probably wouldn't be nearly as many issues.

Lräk

I want to keep the PA5 power supply. It's what makes the PA5 II the 'Plus' version. The PA5 II replacement has a smaller power supply. Also I'm sure the warranty on the original purchase won't continue to cover all these replacements so if I bought new the warranty starts over again and I get to keep my big power supply to make a cheaper PA5 II into a PA5 II Plus
If you send your PA5 to me, I'll modify it with a spare gamerpaddy board to see if that fixes it. You could even take it out of the case.

iLoveCats

If you send your PA5 to me, I'll modify it with a spare gamerpaddy board to see if that fixes it. You could even take it out of the case.
I just boxed it up to send back to Apos. I'm getting a standard PA5 II in return and I pre-ordered one of the next batch of Fosi ZA3. I'll use the PA5 II if I don't like the Fosi.

Maciekw

Jak leci?
Starting tomorrow, I am completing the tools to solder the original module. A soldering iron alone is not enough to do it the right way. I will use the ideas on how to do it shown on this forum. And I will perform the replacement operation itself this weekend.

klimal

Sad to say the replacement "PA5 II Plus" also died after only 5 days.
I was asked to destroy it and send them pics for the refund which I did. I received the refund but lost out on the Paypal commission which was deducted when i transferred out to my bank acc.
What was more disappointing was when I also took a peek inside the destroyed unit. It was the PA5II without the plus although it came in a box that was labelled as such.
Probably a refurbished unit that was also faulty to begin with.

Screenshot_2024-01-30-13-30-57-586_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpg

Top Bottom