• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

Rusty

I was considering one of these amplifiers for a secondary system until I found this thread concerning the poor reliability issues (regardless whether it's the brick power supplies or design flaws). In the first post of the review thread Amir gave this amplifier his recommendation. I have not read every page of the review or this thread, but has he commented on the reliability problems? Changed his recommendation elsewhere? Is there a reason he wouldn't have modified the original post to mention these issues or remove the recommendation?

iLoveCats

Amir doesn't test reliability and there's no way he really can. The pictures inside the equipment can help us decide if it's manufactured well, and good testing equipment should also point to good manufacturing techniques but the PA5 proves that's not always the case. The PA5 was tested as a technical marvel, especially for it's price point. Many of us here have found it to be unreliable. I'm on my second one. The sellers seem to handle the returns differently so that makes the situations and feelings vary. No one knows how many PA5's were sold so we may be a small sample size in the forum. The Topping LA90 discrete looks like the best deal going now, but, zero reliability data. At least it doesn't have bad reliability data yet!

Reactions: MAB

wlgreg

Another viewpoint: while Amir can’t follow every model’s reliability, when there is an obvious flaw (acknowledged by the vendor), affecting a substantial number of ASR posters, and when the vendor promises to be more present and responsive here (but doesn’t follow through), it would seem at a least a footnote or some comment on the original review would be in order.

I, personally, remain puzzled and disappointed by Amir’s failure to do so.

Rusty

Amir doesn't test reliability and there's no way he really can....
Thanks for those quick replies for a newbie.

Obviously, there's no way to test reliability initially, but after so many failures you'd like to think Amir would alter the original recommendation.

Rusty

...and just for the haters, I have and enjoy daily a Topping Dx7 Pro, a fine little dac and the reason I was considering this amplifier.

0rangutan

While Amir never updated his PA5 review regarding its high failure rates, I note with interest that his review posted today of the LA90 Discrete states "P.S. Power amplifiers are least reliable audio products (due to high currents and voltages involved). New designs sometimes need to prove themselves in this regard. So if you are risk averse, please don't be the first to purchase this amplifier."

Rusty

While Amir never updated his PA5 review regarding its high failure rates, I note with interest that his review posted today of the LA90 Discrete states "P.S. Power amplifiers are least reliable audio products (due to high currents and voltages involved). New designs sometimes need to prove themselves in this regard. So if you are risk averse, please don't be the first to purchase this amplifier."
Wow! That is just an unbelievable statement.

Since Topping doesn't appear to make a particular product model for more than a year, how do they create a track record for reliability? Durability should matter!

iLoveCats

Topping seems to compete on low price/best test and then on to the next. Thats been their pattern and I don't know that it will change. I've been critical of that before because Toppings prices bring high end products into a market that has less money to spend. Its great for the cheapskate audiophile (me) but not so great for the person stretching their budget to get the great specs and then have something fail.

Gio

Forum Donor
I own a PA5 for 1 year, every week used. No issues so far.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same

aphysically

Is there any consensus or knowledge on what is failing here when they get static in one channel or has Topping ever commented? I've read through a while, but I haven't found.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any consensus or knowledge on what is failing here when they get static in one channel or has Topping ever commented? I've read through a while, but I haven't found.
Nothing known.

Firespeed

Martinvb

This made some sense to me:
Post in thread 'Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...pping-pa5-review-amplifier.28512/post-1350283

“maybe micro degradation of one of those opamps, ne5532 is very reliable, not sure of that opa1612 tho.
or cracked solder joints due to the potting compound contracting/expanding over time.”

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This made some sense to me:
Post in thread 'Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...pping-pa5-review-amplifier.28512/post-1350283

“maybe micro degradation of one of those opamps, ne5532 is very reliable, not sure of that opa1612 tho.
or cracked solder joints due to the potting compound contracting/expanding over time.”
Which is pure speculation. All we know is he ripped the thing apart, put it together again, and it worked.

I would also suspect stresses due to the potting compound, having experienced similar in a completely different industry. But is is only supposition until someone actually demonstrates it unambiguously.

Martinvb

Which is pure speculation. All we know is he ripped the thing apart, put it together again, and it worked.
Of course, but as you say: it may be a lead. It will remain difficult to proof the claim without access to a substantial amount of PA5s, and putting them to a test. I would go for a ‘clinical trial’: 100 PA5s without the potting, and 100 standard ones, all playing at high volume until failure (perhaps with controlled switching them on/off from time to time). Then do a comparative ‘survival analysis’ on both groups, something like this could occur:

1681328279733.png

Gio

Forum Donor
Apparently Topping introduced the PA7 and left the PA5.......Applause :mad:

Top Bottom