• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

Is your Topping PA5 amp defective?

• Yes

Votes: 123 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 50.0%

• Total voters

raest

audiophonics agrees it was an issue, so they're sending me another that they'll test before sending. see you next month, audiophonics! ;D (hopefully Topping accomplishes something by the time i send back the next unit.... yeah, i'm not optimistic :))

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
audiophonics agrees it was an issue, so they're sending me another that they'll test before sending. see you next month, audiophonics! ;D (hopefully Topping accomplishes something by the time i send back the next unit.... yeah, i'm not optimistic :))
Test before send isn't going to do much for a fault that happens after weeks or months of use. (I guess that is what you mean by "see you next month" :p)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You appear to be enjoying this whole unfortunate incident.

The definition of an 'incident' is an instance (singular) of something happening.

This is a rash of failures and falls into the poorly designed/implemented category- worthy of a recall. So far, in a few short years, Topping has had headphone amplifiers killing themselves and damaging people's expensive headphones. They've got amplifiers making loud noises, DC offsets and failing altogether. And now a 'flagship' amplifier that has issues turning itself on and off. (a member's video is here on ASR).

It's patently obvious that the designer/s at Topping have a lot to learn before they push their wares on poor consumers. I suggest they start with the absolute basics of getting the power-up/down/protection sequence completely bullet-proof in every product for every scenario, everytime. Putting a micro of any type inside an amplifier and then powering it via an uncontrolled external SMPS is a recipe for unpredictable behaviour. The amplifier's micro has no idea what the PSU is doing.

@pma is dead right. We've been saying for years the stupid SINAD chart is not an indicator of quality. HiFi is so much more than a single number on a leaderboard. For absolute starters, it has to be 100% reliable, everytime you turn it on.

B8S4

The definition of an 'incident' is an instance (singular) of something happening.

This is a rash of failures and falls into the poorly designed/implemented category- worthy of a recall. So far, in a few short years, Topping has had headphone amplifiers killing themselves and damaging people's expensive headphones. They've got amplifiers making loud noises, DC offsets and failing altogether. And now a 'flagship' amplifier that has issues turning itself on and off. (a member's video is here on ASR).

It's patently obvious that the designer/s at Topping have a lot to learn before they push their wares on poor consumers. I suggest they start with the absolute basics of getting the power-up/down/protection sequence completely bullet-proof in every product for every scenario, everytime. Putting a micro of any type inside an amplifier and then powering it via an uncontrolled external SMPS is a recipe for unpredictable behaviour. The amplifier's micro has no idea what the PSU is doing.

@pma is dead right. We've been saying for years the stupid SINAD chart is not an indicator of quality. HiFi is so much more than a single number on a leaderboard. For absolute starters, it has to be 100% reliable, everytime you turn it on.
You have way too much time on your hands.

MAB

Major Contributor

And let me add, judging by the support stories I see in this thread and others (and my own experience with the PA5), the vendors have no idea how to properly support these products when they go bad.
There are some admirable qualities here (SINAD is nailed), and good intentions to deliver performance and user experience. But end to end, the whole product experience isn't nailed.

AudioArchitech

I also think that if a product such as the PA5 scores high on the ASR SINAD List, then reliability issues start to pour in, Amir should amend his review on Post #1 of Page 1. IMO, should not simply say this at the end: "It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Topping PA5. The dynamics of stereo amplifier market just changed folks!" Please don't ban me from this thread for saying so ;)

D

Deleted member 46664

I would assume that there is additional filtering in the amp itself and this may bring the effective voltage down to 36V anyway.
That is a possibility. A couple of series diodes for reverse-voltage protection would get it down to about 36.5 volts.
BUT as I keep stressing... we simply don't know, yet.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also think that if a product such as the PA5 scores high on the ASR SINAD List, then reliability issues start to pour in, Amir should amend his review on Post #1 of Page 1. IMO, should not simply say this at the end: "It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Topping PA5. The dynamics of stereo amplifier market just changed folks!" Please don't ban me from this thread for saying so ;)
What do you think he should amend it to? Given he is providing data? Should all reviews include an unverifiable report of issue button?

Personally I wish there was some third party mechanism for measuring failure rates. No idea how to institute or pay for that though.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you think he should amend it to? Given he is providing data? Should all reviews include an unverifiable report of issue button?

Personally I wish there was some third party mechanism for measuring failure rates. No idea how to institute or pay for that though.

I get that everyone loves to shill the gear they own (I'm guilty of it too!) but you can't seriously believe that the number of failures discussed in the review thread is normal? Especially with how long this amp has been on the market.

Michael

Mario Sanchez

Has there been a similar issue with pa3s? I got mine back in September 2021 and everything seems fine thus far. I barely ever turn it off though.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rather than being a thread for pa5 owners to discuss when and how the amp failed (and maybe return policies), seems like this thread has turned into a repeat of pa5 thread. Whether or not I want people to trash pa5, I actually want it to be fixed even more. If it's true basically 100% of cases left channel is first to go, then I hope Topping knows about this.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get that everyone loves to shill the gear they own (I'm guilty of it too!) but you can't seriously believe that the number of failures discussed in the review thread is normal? Especially with how long this amp has been on the market.

Michael
The point is I have no idea. Nor does anyone else. On a science oriented site, I would think that would be important to acknowledge. The Pinto was no more dangerous (statistically) than any other car in its class. But it is a meme for the most dangerous car.

I am currently concerned about Toppings quality overall. Specifically because of those reports. But I am also willing to admit I don’t know what’s going on. 19 people have claimed issues. I have no reason to believe them or disbelieve them. I have no idea how many units Topping has sold. So my claim is I don’t know. If you are going to claim something different put up your evidence.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The point is I have no idea. Nor does anyone else. On a science oriented site, I would think that would be important to acknowledge. The Pinto was no more dangerous (statistically) than any other car in its class. But it is a meme for the most dangerous car.

I am currently concerned about Toppings quality overall. Specifically because of those reports. But I am also willing to admit I don’t know what’s going on. 19 people have claimed issues. I have no reason to believe them or disbelieve them. I have no idea how many units Topping has sold. So my claim is I don’t know. If you are going to claim something different put up your evidence.
I hear fingernails on the mirror .... A significant amount of people claim the same problem on their unit, but we shouldn't say this because we don't have "exact failure figures"
Well, if you feel like taking a risk, go ahead, your money doesn't matter if yours is one in five or one in a thousand.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Pinto was no more dangerous (statistically) than any other car in its class. But it is a meme for the most dangerous car.
You might want to leave out the example when you make this point. Folks are going to start calling this the Pinto of audio amplifiers.

When my Pa5 is silent, the left channel has a bare sound. Sometimes there is a sound of wind, and the horn diaphragm will move back and forth. But I've found a solution: turn the volume knob to the maximum and adjust the sound volume on the DAC (other devices). I haven't heard this annoying noise for a week.

MAB

Major Contributor
When my Pa5 is silent, the left channel has a bare sound. Sometimes there is a sound of wind, and the horn diaphragm will move back and forth. But I've found a solution: turn the volume knob to the maximum and adjust the sound volume on the DAC (other devices). I haven't heard this annoying noise for a week.
Uh oh, you appear to have a broken PA5. Mine started out similar (sounded like rippling water on my speakers), evolved to louder and more annoying noises with a very large DC offset at power-on.

Last edited:
Uh oh, you appear to have a broken PA5. Mine started out similar (sounded like rippling water on my speakers), evolved to louder and more annoying noises with a very large DC offset on power-on.
After I set it like this, there is no noise when I turn it on, but I must not move the volume knob again. If I rotate the knob, the noise will appear, so I'll treat it as if it doesn't exist

Top Bottom