• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2220 Review (Monoblock Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 160 53.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 121 40.2%

• Total voters

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally we can examine performance at different frequencies:
View attachment 191117

Some strange distortion mechanism sets in at highest frequencies but only during a limited power range (hump in green). Fortunately you hardly ever have content at high frequencies at high amplitude so not an audible concern.

I think that likely has something to do with rail voltage switching because it would too much of a coincident for the distortion to rise abruptly right at the point when it switches to the higher voltage. It came back down at higher output but that could be due to the way you increase the input that might have resulted in some delay so by that time the higher rail voltage level have already stabilized, but I am just guessing. As far as I know, it has only two fixed rail voltage level, one low and one high.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My brother-in-law had a pair of M200's that sounded good at low levels, but we found a bit harsh when pushed. I suspected that the rail switch could be the source.

These are new models and likely have improvements.

Outlaw 2220 Measurements Monoblock Frequency vs Distortion 4 ohm Power Amplifier.png

Could the unexpected rise in distortion at low power be the rail switch?

- Rich

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My brother-in-law had a pair of M200's that sounded good at low levels, but we found a bit harsh when pushed. I suspected that the rail switch could be the source.

View attachment 191228

- Rich

We were typing at about the same time..:) Yes, rail switching is my guess, regarding the distortion rise at just over 100 W output.

iraweiss

View attachment 191228

- Rich
Did the 2200 also show the same high frequency, high power distortion rise?

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Buy 2 and save $99. Buy 3 and save $198.
And so buy 7? Not sure what that would work out to be, and you’d probably want a few dedicated outlets for your set up...but for a seven channel home theater for the few of us old school class A/B beast hold outs, it would be hard to beat. I’ve always liked Outlaw as an internet company. I believe one of the first and still going. Basic, no frills amps with solid spec.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did the 2200 also show the same high frequency, high power distortion rise?

Amir did not do that particular test (freq vs output) so I don't know the answer. If I were to guess, I would say yes as by all indications the two are of the same design.

iraweiss

Amir did not do that particular test (freq vs output) so I don't know the answer. If I were to guess, I would say yes as by all indications the two are of the same design.
Mine too.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I wonder how long it takes for the rails to settle after switching? If longer than the sweep's dwell time, that large spike might go down after a short time. However, this highlights one of the big issues with class G, what happens during the transition. That said, while it looks ugly, in reality 100+ W at >10 kHz will probably be inaudible because (a) we are less sensitive that high, (b) it is very unlikely any real source would require full-power output that high, and (c) if it was required, most likely any tweeter fed 100+ W would be destroyed, leading to no distortion (or anything else) being heard.

iraweiss

I wonder how long it takes for the rails to settle after switching? If longer than the sweep's dwell time, that large spike might go down after a short time. However, this highlights one of the big issues with class G, what happens during the transition. That said, while it looks ugly, in reality 100+ W at >10 kHz will probably be inaudible because (a) we are less sensitive that high, (b) it is very unlikely any real source would require full-power output that high, and (c) if it was required, most likely any tweeter fed 100+ W would be destroyed, leading to no distortion (or anything else) being heard.
At my advanced age I cannot hear even 10 kHz, hearing aids in or not.

Now for a joke: If the high frequency distortion spike is typical of Class G designs, the class could be rated NG (not good) as at high frequencies it runs off the rails. A true high frequency train wreck!

wwenze

Major Contributor
Yea but you can have a big low-frequency component with a small high-frequency component riding on it.

I don't see anything on the IMD measurement tho so I won't be concerned.

BTW when it says 10kHz or 15kHz, the distortion components would be at least the second harmonic or higher so we are talking 20kHz and up.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yea but you can have a big low-frequency component with a small high-frequency component riding on it.
The 32-tone test is very clean...

Edit: Looks like you updated your post after I quoted you -- think we're in agreement, amazing these days! :)

iraweiss

BTW when it says 10kHz or 15kHz, remember that the distortion components would be at least the second harmonic or higher so we are talking 20kHz and up.
I guess that's why its called harmonic distortion. Unfortunately no sexual overtones allowed.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
At my advanced age I cannot hear even 10 kHz, hearing aids in or not.

Now for a joke: If the high frequency distortion spike is typical of Class G designs, the class could be rated NG (not good) as at high frequencies it runs off the rails. A true high frequency train wreck!
It may be transitory, I do not know. Switching upsets the bias and such so there may be a brief blip. In any event, while interesting and hurtful on the THD sweep, it would have little practical impact IMO.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I guess that's why its called harmonic distortion. Unfortunately no sexual overtones allowed.
THD+N is usually the one being measured

Which brings up a point, is the switching causing harmonic distortion, or is it causing noise. I might have to redact my earlier post suggesting the lack of audibility.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read it somewhere that the switching time for the 2200 (2220 too I assume) is very short and Amir's measurements show a jump that looks bad but I doubt it is an audible concern based on the magnitude and frequency. Definitely not audible to me.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BTW when it says 10kHz or 15kHz, the distortion components would be at least the second harmonic or higher so we are talking 20kHz and up.
The multi-tone @ 5 watts tells us nothing because the artifact occurs at a higher power level.

During our listening sessions we compared the M200 and Parasound A21 level matched but without quick switching. At low levels, there water no issues but at moderate to loud the M200 was not as pleasant as the A21. Different tech may require additional tests.

Do we really know that at switching into low impedance loads that audible artifacts do not occur.

- Rich

Top Bottom