• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2220 Review (Monoblock Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 161 53.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 121 40.1%

• Total voters

H-713

This or similar spec, power and price Hypex design?
Some of it is price dependent - prices are going to vary by location.

I'd probably go with the Outlaw, just because I have an irrational liking for old-school amplification technology.

On a practical note, I don't really think the Hypex alternative will be an appreciably better amplifier in practice. It's more powerful (but not by a huge margin, and both are pretty big amps). Both amps have distortion low enough to not matter, and the efficiency differences between a class G and class D likely won't be noticeable in a domestic environment.

I would tend to give more preference to any company that designs their own amplifier rather than putting an off-the-shelf module in a box, however. Someone who is less of an analog electronics nerd might not care about this, but I'd rather give my money to people designing amps rather than buying amps, putting them in a box, and reselling them.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This or similar spec, power and price Hypex design?
This, if you wanna save more cash:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Sad no UK supply currently - Amazon UK say it's 'unavailable' right now. A handful of us here are trying to open the UK audiophile mindset away from the likes of Naim to products like this, but it's hard when supplies are fragmented.
I think their website stated they won't export and won't honour warranty for grey exports. Shame. Would buy 2 of them tomorrow.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Lambda

Major Contributor
For the price they are fine.
Tow of them and a PA5 for a Bi-Amping setup would be nice.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Not sure that would work. The outlaw has 27db gain and the topping has 19db gain (i think). That's a big difference.
I would want to have some sort of Active (DSP) crossover before the AMPs (no need for the High/mid Amp to also amplify bass?!)
1646736158682.png

Sensitivity seems to be closes to the PA5 bud i did not do the math to cheek it and @amirm review don’t seam to include Gain measurements?
Sure it can be calculated by converting power and resistance back to volt, then to dBV... but i did not do this.
Max input level before clipping (at 4 and 8Ohm) Max output voltage and Gain would be a nice info in the Review.

Anyways the Crossover could make up for the gain difference. or you would have to uses a Attenuator.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

KxDx

The auto turn on feature is sorely lacking, it’s why i wanted to buy the outlaw to begin with.
Indeed. I had a pair of the previous 2200's and that's a feature I can no longer live without. I managed to kill one playing Also Sprach Zarathustra at ludicrous volumes (thank the fates my speakers survived) and ultimately wound up with a preowned Parasound NC amp which also offers most of the same features except for balanced input.

The Outlaws are easily a better value than Parasound. 2x 2200's are $100 cheaper than even the NC2125 (which it outclasses), and add up to half the cost of a new NC2250. If I had to buy new it'd be a no-brainer.

pma

Major Contributor
Some strange distortion mechanism sets in at highest frequencies but only during a limited power range (hump in green). Fortunately you hardly ever have content at high frequencies at high amplitude so not an audible concern.

Class AB G output stage nonlinearity at high frequencies and level. Would you mind to make a CCIF 19+20kHz test at higher power?

Last edited:

noel_fs

not very good considering it would be 800$ for a 2-channel setup, not justified with hypex's offerings or even topping pa5

PeteL

Major Contributor
Top Bottom