• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Outlaw 2220 Review (Monoblock Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 159 53.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 120 40.1%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Outlaw 2220 single channel amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $399.
Outlaw 2220 Review Monoblock audio Power Amplifier.jpg

The look is simple but elegant in its slim form factor. I like that it is just heavy enough to give you confidence but not so much that you can't lift it.
Outlaw 2220 Review Back panel balanced XLR Trigger Monoblock audio Power Amplifier.jpg

Nice set of features are provided from balanced XLR input to trigger. A larger toroidal transformer indicates class class AB design (not switching).

Outlaw 2220 Measurements
Let's start with our usual 1 kHz dashboard into 4 ohm:
Outlaw 2220 Measurements Monoblock Power Amplifier.png

I like the very low distortion spikes that are around -108 dB or so. Some power supply noise (120 Hz) and general noise lower SINAD down to 85 dB which is still quite competent:
Best monoblock amplifier review.png

Noise level could be a bit lower at 5 watts but still respectable:

Outlaw 2220 Measurements SNR Monoblock Power Amplifier.png

Multitone test shows the very low distortion of the amplifier:

Outlaw 2220 Measurements Multitone Monoblock Power Amplifier.png

Frequency response is flat which is an improvement over the 2200 model which drooped at 20 kHz:

Outlaw 2220 Measurements Frequency Response Monoblock Power Amplifier.png

The word "monoblocks" sets up expectations of high amount of power and the 2220 delivers:

Outlaw 2220 Measurements Monoblock 4 ohm Power Amplifier.png

Outlaw 2220 Measurements Monoblock 8 ohm Power Amplifier.png

Outlaw 2220 Measurements Monoblock Max and Peak 4 ohm Power Amplifier.png

This should be plenty of power for just about any use.

Finally we can examine performance at different frequencies:
Outlaw 2220 Measurements Monoblock Frequency vs Distortion 4 ohm Power Amplifier.png

Some strange distortion mechanism sets in at highest frequencies but only during a limited power range (hump in green). Fortunately you hardly ever have content at high frequencies at high amplitude so not an audible concern.

Conclusions
Performance of the Outlaw 2220 is solid, solid, solid! What can I say. It delivers what you expect with nary any results that raise an eyebrow sans that high frequency distortion. You have ton of power which should be handy for both stereo music listening and home theater. At $399 it brings great value as well.

I am happy to recommend the Outlaw 2220 monoblock amplifier.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Nice to see a good conventional design at a reasonable price. This thing looks like an exceptional value.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I voted excellent - the performance is well above average, it's got oodles of power on tap and it's cheap - as in, "Makes Crown XLS series amps look expensive" cheap.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is regrettable that the switch on and off is done from the back ...
Yes I know there is a trigger, but my RME ADI for example, does not have one.

laudio

Did we review this one before? I liked it then and still do for what it is

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did we review this one before? I liked it then and still do for what it is

No, this is the updated version model 2220.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Just a wild guess here but I think we've seen class D amps with toroidal linear type power supply, I believe ATI does that. the peak power equal to continuous,suggest to me class D. Any report on what it is exactly? Hey I could be wrong, the behaviour seems class D like but I don’t know.

Edit: Look like I didn't have my glasses when I looked at the headroom measurment...

Last edited:

H-713

Looks like an excellent implementation of a class AB amplifier. Distortion is really good considering the >100 kHz bandwidth. Would be interesting to see some slew rate numbers to back it up. Nice to see balanced inputs on a consumer amp as well.

I'll dock a point for what looks like non-standard banana plug spacing, which is rather annoying.

H-713

Just a wild guess here but I think we've seen class D amps with toroidal linear type power supply, I believe ATI does that. the peak power equal to continuous,suggest to me class D. Any report on what it is exactly? Hey I could be wrong, the behaviour seems class D like but I don’t know.
Doubtful. It's pretty wide-band for a class D amplifier, and it generally behaves like a class AB amplifier would in most respects.

H-713

Typo in original post.
"indicates class class AB design"

GeekyBastard

Indeed a solid performing monoblock amplifier, the price's quite sweet as well.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So basically same as the NHT-based previous model, except a half RU taller.

IMO the OG NHT A1 was the most attractive of the group (curved faceplate with illumination underneath) but current availability is its own virtue.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Sad no UK supply currently - Amazon UK say it's 'unavailable' right now. A handful of us here are trying to open the UK audiophile mindset away from the likes of Naim to products like this, but it's hard when supplies are fragmented.

Top Bottom