• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.2%

• Total voters

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Don't think they can, as the 2 sub outs are internally Y-spit. Of course if one wanted to use DLBC with one sub I guess that could be done.
Yes they could, with a single sub DLBC licence - and that would leverage full range mains in conjunction with a single sub very well...

My gut feel is that this won't happen... DLBC will be reserved for the flagship models RZ70, Integra 8.4 etc...

I could be wrong! I would be very happy if they introduced a DLBC single sub upgrade for my Integra 3.4 !

But those people willing to pay the extra for a DLBC licence upgrade, are probably willing to pay the extra to go to an RZ70/8.4.... so I think it unlikely that Voxx Marketing will enable that upgrade path...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they could, with a single sub DLBC licence - and that would leverage full range mains in conjunction with a single sub very well...

My gut feel is that this won't happen... DLBC will be reserved for the flagship models RZ70, Integra 8.4 etc...

I could be wrong! I would be very happy if they introduced a DLBC single sub upgrade for my Integra 3.4 !

But those people willing to pay the extra for a DLBC licence upgrade, are probably willing to pay the extra to go to an RZ70/8.4.... so I think it unlikely that Voxx Marketing will enable that upgrade path...
I agree. didn't know DLBC had a one sub license and >1 sub license. Is the multisub license good for any # of subs?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I agree. didn't know DLBC had a one sub license and >1 sub license. Is the multisub license good for any # of subs?
Yes... usually the constraint with the multisub license is the number of channels your device has...

So the newly announced Integra 8.4 has 2 sub channels (although it has 6 sub outputs, those are 3 paralleled outputs for each channel)

The Denon's X3800/X4800 both have 4 independent sub channels - so may potentially become the preferred budget AVR for those who want loads of subs....

And the RZ50 has only a single sub channel (with 2 paralleled outputs) - so there would never be any point to DLBC multi-sub on that AVR...

wheelbarrow

From what I'm reading, DLBC is still very much worth it for a single sub situation over just plain-jane Dirac, especially in living room/non-studio-like environments. I would gladly pay up for even a multi-sub license just to get it on my RZ50 with single sub.

On another note, has the RZ50 ever been listed on Dirac's product page? I see the Pioneer AVRs on there, but not the Onkyo. I wonder why? Is Pioneer more premium/better built than Onkyo?

Scot Matheaon

Hello. Purchased RZ50 Aug 2022. For most part, very pleased although considerable switching going on in background inside unit from time to time. New problem developed a week ago. Volume UI becomes unresponsive on tv screen. Using Apple TV as hub and streaming. Tried troubleshooting by removing all HDMI cables (all cables are HDMI 8K certified). No change, then unplugged receiver and powered back up and problem solved. Receiver volume control shows up correctly on UI on tv and can adjust volume with both RZ50 remote and Apple TV remote. Next day, problem reappears. Tried reseting both Apple TV and factory reset on RZ50, reloaded Dirac Live profile. Now I have changed Apple TV to previous hardware version and updated everything. Worked fine for a few hours and then the volume UI on tv screen is going wonky again. Any suggestions on how to proceed. Currently the only way to fix is to unplug receiver briefly which seems to reset to normal operation. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_5209.jpeg
    IMG_5209.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5208.jpeg
    IMG_5208.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 72

dlaloum

Major Contributor
From what I'm reading, DLBC is still very much worth it for a single sub situation over just plain-jane Dirac, especially in living room/non-studio-like environments. I would gladly pay up for even a multi-sub license just to get it on my RZ50 with single sub.

On another note, has the RZ50 ever been listed on Dirac's product page? I see the Pioneer AVRs on there, but not the Onkyo. I wonder why? Is Pioneer more premium/better built than Onkyo?
The only Pioneer AVR's listed on the Dirac page are the "8" series.... the "5" and "3" series (LX505/305) are not listed... the Onkyo RZ50 is the Onkyo "5" series and the NR7100 is the Onkyo equivalent to the "3" series... none of which are on there.

The Onkyo model we expect to appear there shortly, will be the RZ70 - and later the RZ90

The Integra equivalents being the DRX 8.4 (already there) and the DRX R1.4 (when eventually released )

So yes the DLBC upgrade capable models that have been formally announced are all present on the Dirac Online Store....

And right now there is no DLBC upgrade available for the RZ50.... and although I would love it if there were, I would be surprised if that happened.

Johnp

Hello. Purchased RZ50 Aug 2022. For most part, very pleased although considerable switching going on in background inside unit from time to time. New problem developed a week ago. Volume UI becomes unresponsive on tv screen. Using Apple TV as hub and streaming. Tried troubleshooting by removing all HDMI cables (all cables are HDMI 8K certified). No change, then unplugged receiver and powered back up and problem solved. Receiver volume control shows up correctly on UI on tv and can adjust volume with both RZ50 remote and Apple TV remote. Next day, problem reappears. Tried reseting both Apple TV and factory reset on RZ50, reloaded Dirac Live profile. Now I have changed Apple TV to previous hardware version and updated everything. Worked fine for a few hours and then the volume UI on tv screen is going wonky again. Any suggestions on how to proceed. Currently the only way to fix is to unplug receiver briefly which seems to reset to normal operation. Thanks for any feedback.
Is Apple TV the only item connected via HDMI? I used to have this issue when an Xfinity cable box was connected. Once the cable box was gone, the problem went away. Also have had problems with CEC turned on. Rebooting the display (Sony) has cleared up issues as well.

Scot Matheaon

Thank you for your reply. Yes I also have a cable box connected to the receiver, and I do have CEC turned on.

Scot Matheaon

Is Apple TV the only item connected via HDMI? I used to have this issue when an Xfinity cable box was connected. Once the cable box was gone, the problem went away. Also have had problems with CEC turned on. Rebooting the display (Sony) has cleared up issues as well.
Yes, I do have a cable box attached to the receiver through HDMI and I do have CEC turned on however, it’s odd that this has just surfaced after using the receiver for eight months. Although I believe the LG G1 television had a software update recently

Johnp

Yes, I do have a cable box attached to the receiver through HDMI and I do have CEC turned on however, it’s odd that this has just surfaced after using the receiver for eight months. Although I believe the LG G1 television had a software update recently
My issue didn’t show up right away either. I unplugged everything for 15 minutes and then hooked up only the Apple TV and all was well. When the cable box was plugged back in, the lagging volume display issue returned. I assumed it was a failing cable box, but it may have been some HDMI incompatibility. I was ready to get rid of cable at the time, so I removed the box and the problem has not resurfaced since.

Wildgift

Hey all – – I am considering this receiver or a Denon 4700H. My speakers are Swan diva 4.1/2.1 they are around 4 to 6 ohms. Will this receiver have a hard time driving them? I’m running a basic 5.1 system. Thanks.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hey all – – I am considering this receiver or a Denon 4700H. My speakers are Swan diva 4.1/2.1 they are around 4 to 6 ohms. Will this receiver have a hard time driving them? I’m running a basic 5.1 system. Thanks.
Some reviews say the Swan Diva 4.1 is 4 ohm.... and typically 4 ohm speakers can bottom out at 2 ohm or below on some frequencies ( as mine do)

If it remains above 3 ohm - both these receivers would be fine, if it drops below that, I think the Denon would handle it better - but neither would be particularly "happy".... which is why I use external amps with my Integra, and opted for the 3.4 model down as the internal amps are plenty for the surround and height channels... and I didn't need the additional channels of the RZ50.

The models that have more beefy amps will be the X6800 (when it comes out) or the RZ70/DRX8.4/LX805 (and the AV1H if you can stretch that high).

Bren Derlin

If you have an Ethernet connection near your HT rig, the Anthem 540 8K would be a very good option. Even if you plan to expand to a 7.2 system - you can expand via pre-outs. Just plug it in the network, and “check for updates”, before you begin the rest of the set up.

EDIT: I've figured out a workaround for not having an Ethernet connection to your home's network near your Home Theater rig using a USB to Ethernet adapter/dongle.

Last edited:

Scot Matheaon

My issue didn’t show up right away either. I unplugged everything for 15 minutes and then hooked up only the Apple TV and all was well. When the cable box was plugged back in, the lagging volume display issue returned. I assumed it was a failing cable box, but it may have been some HDMI incompatibility. I was ready to get rid of cable at the time, so I removed the box and the problem has not resurfaced since.
I have solved the issue with handshake. I toggled CEC off and on on all devices. Seems to have fixed the problem.

SorenTyson

Now on sale for usd 1,300. The gap to x3800 incl . Dirac license cost is pretty big. I ordered one and it will be my first experience with dirac Will save up for an buckeye amp for lcr.

Top Bottom