• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.2%

• Total voters

2therock

Got a HDMI audio extractor extending the life for my SC-75. . It would not pass more than 4k @ 24Hz. So now I cable box to TV ARC and the audio breakout to the SC-75. Works great.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure if this qualifies for it's own thread, but refurbished RZ50 units are on sale on Onkyo's website for $950.. 40% off retail for people who wanted to get into a Dirac unit. I'm tempted to buy a second one even though I don't need it.

gab

Not sure if this qualifies for it's own thread, but refurbished RZ50 units are on sale on Onkyo's website for $950.. 40% off retail for people who wanted to get into a Dirac unit. I'm tempted to buy a second one even though I don't need it.

Was going to pull the trigger but found a new unit available from SafeandSoundhq for $1099 with free shipping.

Last edited:

WilliamO

Can I use this in Pure mode with an external DAC for 2 channel and get full resolution while using DIRAC for movies?

ban25

Can I use this in Pure mode with an external DAC for 2 channel and get full resolution while using DIRAC for movies?
Pure mode (and for that matter, an external DAC) will bypass processing and therefore preclude Dirac from functioning. DAC resolution and "pure direct" are really just audiophile snake oil, don't worry about them.

WilliamO

Pure mode (and for that matter, an external DAC) will bypass processing and therefore preclude Dirac from functioning. DAC resolution and "pure direct" are really just audiophile snake oil, don't worry about them.
Great! Thank you. I discovered this in my Marantz 70s. "Pure Direct" is different from "Pure" Mode. Pure Direct really limits the bass output. It is easily noticeable. It is a STARK difference. I do believe with Pure Mode my McIntosh system still sounds like it did without the inclusion of the Marantz 70s. I needed the AVR because the XBOX Series X decided to delete the optical output included in the previous XBOX One X.

WilliamO

So, do I purchase this thing and use external amplification or do I go Marantz C50, Sony ES, NAD T778? I'm not really a Denon fan. Sony appears to have audio processing issues with speaker locations. This RZ50 appears to have everything once external amplification is added. NAD isn't HDMI 2.1.

ban25

So, do I purchase this thing and use external amplification or do I go Marantz C50, Sony ES, NAD T778? I'm not really a Denon fan. Sony appears to have audio processing issues with speaker locations. This RZ50 appears to have everything once external amplification is added. NAD isn't HDMI 2.1.
RZ-50 is just about the best deal in town at the moment at $1300 with 9 channels and Dirac Live. Cinema 50/40 and RZ-70/Integra DRX-8.4 will beat it, but for a substantial price premium.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One cannot use the RZ50 w/ an outboard DAC-it doesn't have that functionality. Pure Direct shuts off the display, tone controls, etc but most cannot discern a difference between Pure Audio, Direct or Stereo with tone controls neutral. Bonus of using Stereo is the sub is active and one can then use DL. I run a RCA out from the D90SE to the RZ50 in order to get the benefit of DL and the sub. Otherwise I use the pathway of source>D90SE>Freya+>Purifi>F208's. Each pathway has its pros and cons.

WilliamO

One cannot use the RZ50 w/ an outboard DAC-it doesn't have that functionality. Pure Direct shuts off the display, tone controls, etc but most cannot discern a difference between Pure Audio, Direct or Stereo with tone controls neutral. Bonus of using Stereo is the sub is active and one can then use DL. I run a RCA out from the D90SE to the RZ50 in order to get the benefit of DL and the sub. Otherwise I use the pathway of source>D90SE>Freya+>Purifi>F208's. Each pathway has its pros and cons.
Thank you for the reply. Let me make certain I understand:

If I pass analog from my DAC to an analog input and set to Pure the receiver still processes the audio signal? This does not appear to be the case with my Marantz. My crossover is also external so I set all speakers to large.

WilliamO

BTW - I'm in Franklin.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the reply. Let me make certain I understand:

If I pass analog from my DAC to an analog input and set to Pure the receiver still processes the audio signal? This does not appear to be the case with my Marantz. My crossover is also external so I set all speakers to large.
I think I may have misunderstood your question. Yes, you can enjoy unsullied output from you outboard DAC through the RZ50 then to your amps/speakers. If you want to listen to 2 channel music I suggest you use "stereo" so the subs will be active and DL as well but if you want pure signal from the DAC then Direct or Pure Audio are the formats to use. Are you using a streamer upstream (pun intended) then into the DAC then into the AVR? Are you using outboard amps? Btw you should check out the thread on AVS forum-lots of good info.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

WilliamO

I think I may have misunderstood your question. Yes, you can enjoy unsullied output from you outboard DAC through the RZ50 then to your amps/speakers. If you want to listen to 2 channel music I suggest you use "stereo" so the subs will be active and DL as well but if you want pure signal from the DAC then Direct or Pure Audio are the formats to use. Are you using a streamer upstream (pun intended) then into the DAC then into the AVR? Are you using outboard amps? Btw you should check out the thread on AVS forum-lots of good info.
CD / Streamer --> DAC --> RZ50 --> Outboard crossover --> Outboard amps

Wonder if my XBOX direct into the RZ50 will affect the bass output?

So I'm guessing I should get the RZ50?

WilliamO

I'm on AVS forum as well. RZ50 forum?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CD / Streamer --> DAC --> RZ50 --> Outboard crossover --> Outboard amps

Wonder if my XBOX direct into the RZ50 will affect the bass output?

So I'm guessing I should get the RZ50?
It's a good AVR, especially with DL included. I use outboard amps for all channels but 2 atmos so don't use many of the onboard amps. Sounds great to me. I believe there are some good deals on refurbs and even new ones lately.

WilliamO

Got it. Thank you. I'm in it now.

Sebbie

Do u guys think the DAC part of the RZ1100 or RZ3100 would be as good or better with the AK4490?

Top Bottom