• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 115 37.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.2%

• Total voters

anioq

Is there any loudness curve function in the RZ50?

Edit: looks like none can be used with Dirac??? Eg: THX Loudness Plus can not be used with Dirac.

Last edited:

GabrielPhoto

Is there any loudness curve function in the RZ50?

Edit: looks like none can be used with Dirac??? Eg: THX Loudness Plus can not be used with Dirac.
Doesnt it have Dolby Loudness? Or you can just save 3 different curves on the presets and switch depending on our particular level during movie watching.

anioq

ivo.f.doma

DrStranger

Maybe Onkyo will come next.

Its a good sign. The VSX-935 cost about $1200, where I am from, a series that once cost around 400-500. The whole market is a mess.

Monosauras

Hey all

So the RZ50 is on sale here in Australia. Historical low of $2024.

Denon x3800h is currently its regular price of $2499.

Plan on using it with external amplification (Yamaha A5200) with a 7.2 setup (subs are SVS pro, so have basic onboard custom eq).

Is there a reason to pay extra for a different AVR in my case?

Needs:
- HDMI 2.1 (for gaming consoles and gaming PC)

Wants:
- Dirac

With the eq of the svs, do I still need to get a Minidsp? Does that increase in cost make something else a better option over the RZ50?

Thank you

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey all

So the RZ50 is on sale here in Australia. Historical low of $2024.

Denon x3800h is currently its regular price of $2499.

Plan on using it with external amplification (Yamaha A5200) with a 7.2 setup (subs are SVS pro, so have basic onboard custom eq).

Is there a reason to pay extra for a different AVR in my case?

Needs:
- HDMI 2.1 (for gaming consoles and gaming PC)

Wants:
- Dirac

With the eq of the svs, do I still need to get a Minidsp? Does that increase in cost make something else a better option over the RZ50?

Thank you
The 3800 will receive DLBC support next year, in which case you can skip the miniDSP. But otherwise they are both good options.

Monosauras

The 3800 will receive DLBC support next year, in which case you can skip the miniDSP. But otherwise they are both good options.
Thanks. Think I’ll stick with the Onkyo.

3800 will be almost double the price when factoring in Dirac Live and Bass Control.

Shando

Trying to decide between the Denon x3800h vs the Onkyo RZ-50. Both refurbished right now are around $1,000. The main benefit I see is Dirac for the Onkyo as it is built into the price vs paying an additional license fee and having to buy a microphone. I mostly want to use it for Home Theater use with some music use. I am right now deciding between using the KEF R11, R2C, and R3 as surround or KEF R7, R2C, and R3 as surround, or PSA MTM 210-M, 210C, and 110SR for surround.

Can I not just use an SPL meter to match vs using Dirac or Audyssey?

The 2 independent subwoofer option on the Denon x3800h is really appealing, but the RZ-50 has newer features and Dirac. I have 1 HSU subwoofer right now, but plan on buying a second HSU or maybe a PSA subwoofer.

Also plan on adding two rear height speakers for Dolby Atmos wall mounted to the back wall so my ideal set up down the line would be an 5.2.2.

GabrielPhoto

Trying to decide between the Denon x3800h vs the Onkyo RZ-50. Both refurbished right now are around $1,000. The main benefit I see is Dirac for the Onkyo as it is built into the price vs paying an additional license fee and having to buy a microphone. I mostly want to use it for Home Theater use with some music use. I am right now deciding between using the KEF R11, R2C, and R3 as surround or KEF R7, R2C, and R3 as surround, or PSA MTM 210-M, 210C, and 110SR for surround.

Can I not just use an SPL meter to match vs using Dirac or Audyssey?

The 2 independent subwoofer option on the Denon x3800h is really appealing, but the RZ-50 has newer features and Dirac. I have 1 HSU subwoofer right now, but plan on buying a second HSU or maybe a PSA subwoofer.

Also plan on adding two rear height speakers for Dolby Atmos wall mounted to the back wall so my ideal set up down the line would be an 5.2.2.
Ok so first. Personally I didn't love the psa speaker sound at least not the center.
As a previous owner of svs and hsu, I would just go for the psa sub directly. They are in a different league completely. I had the tv1812 and now tv2112 duals. They are jaw dropping.
For atmos, I HIGHLY recommend you do 4 as it is the minimum to experience true atmos. Also you need to place them in the right location based on angles otherwise it would be subpar.
No..and SPL meter is not remotely close to what Dirac can do.
I would get the rz50 because even though I was a Denon fanboy, after Dirac I just can't go back.
The 3800h does have directional bass and 4 sub outputs although it's auto calibration of my 4 subs at the time was subpar. I do much better using a miniDSP.
If you are placing the subs in different locations and/or mixing subs then a miniDSP is a must have with a umik

Shando

Ok so first. Personally I didn't love the psa speaker sound at least not the center.
As a previous owner of svs and hsu, I would just go for the psa sub directly. They are in a different league completely. I had the tv1812 and now tv2112 duals. They are jaw dropping.
For atmos, I HIGHLY recommend you do 4 as it is the minimum to experience true atmos. Also you need to place them in the right location based on angles otherwise it would be subpar.
No..and SPL meter is not remotely close to what Dirac can do.
I would get the rz50 because even though I was a Denon fanboy, after Dirac I just can't go back.
The 3800h does have directional bass and 4 sub outputs although it's auto calibration of my 4 subs at the time was subpar. I do much better using a miniDSP.
If you are placing the subs in different locations and/or mixing subs then a miniDSP is a must have with a umik

For the PSA Speaker, you mean for HT you didn't like the sound or for Music or both?

I think at most I will go with 2 subwoofers, but PSA subs are a bit expensive will have to be a year or two before I buy those $2k and up ones.

I have 2 Axiom QS4 v3 from my current surround system that I was thinking of repurposing as rear height speakers. I can't do ceiling, but maybe can do front height too behind the T.V. down the line.

I was planning on placing my HSU Research VTF-2 MK 4 Subwoofer I have right now by the two couches to be close as possible as a cheap option for bass shakers and the other subwoofer which might be a PSA or maybe a HSU VTF-3 MK5 directly across from it

The current placement of the subwoofer is to the left of the TV with the back against a wall in a corner underneath a countertop. The other side of the TV opens into the entrance which has 20 foot high ceilings, tiled floor in the entrance from hardwood floor in the family/movie room, an angled half wall that is part of the stair case with 2 display cabinets lining against that half wall.

GabrielPhoto

For the PSA Speaker, you mean for HT you didn't like the sound or for Music or both?

I think at most I will go with 2 subwoofers, but PSA subs are a bit expensive will have to be a year or two before I buy those $2k and up ones.

I have 2 Axiom QS4 v3 from my current surround system that I was thinking of repurposing as rear height speakers. I can't do ceiling, but maybe can do front height too behind the T.V. down the line.

I was planning on placing my HSU Research VTF-2 MK 4 Subwoofer I have right now by the two couches to be close as possible as a cheap option for bass shakers and the other subwoofer which might be a PSA or maybe a HSU VTF-3 MK5 directly across from it

The current placement of the subwoofer is to the left of the TV with the back against a wall in a corner underneath a countertop. The other side of the TV opens into the entrance which has 20 foot high ceilings, tiled floor in the entrance from hardwood floor in the family/movie room, an angled half wall that is part of the stair case with 2 display cabinets lining against that half wall.
I only tested it for HT.
HSUs are good for sure, nothing wrong with them. Adding shakers (or better yet building a Hovereze) would surely bring up the TR immersion level so you are on the right track

SorenTyson

Bought this avr awhile ago. I was planning to add a buckeye amp for lcr, but so far seems plenty of headroom for my use.

Just another anecdotal observation that the power issues discovered by Amir in his review is not appearing for me (n=1)

GabrielPhoto

Guys, is it possible to play the same source for Zone 2 and Zone 3 at the same time? I am assuming I can run a 5.1 HT setup and then 2 speakers for Zone 2 and 2 for Zone 3 all driven by the internal amp, right?

Monosauras

Has anyone experienced issues maintaining a stable wifi connection? What did you do to fix it?

I have tried 2 routers, 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels, hot spotting from an iPhone, but the connection will last about 3 minutes and then drop out. It seems almost too consistent to be an error. Haven't even gotten through one song yet.

Thanks

GabrielPhoto

Has anyone experienced issues maintaining a stable wifi connection? What did you do to fix it?

I have tried 2 routers, 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels, hot spotting from an iPhone, but the connection will last about 3 minutes and then drop out. It seems almost too consistent to be an error. Haven't even gotten through one song yet.

Thanks
I sold my rz50 but never had issues with connection dropping and mine was in the basement so pretty far from my router

Top Bottom