• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Philharmonic BMR HT Towers

Derwin

It's a tradeoff. The RAAL ribbon is a little smoother and has broader horizontal dispersion, although the AMT is no slouch. And the new model of the RAAL 64-10 does quite well in distortion tests. I should have a plot somewhere. It's only at extreme playback levels that I think you might hear a difference in power handling.
Given those benefits, have you thought about a version with the Raal? I’ve got a pair of your bmr bookshelves that sound amazing in a small room, and I love the idea of the super low distortion purifi woofers in my main system in a larger room. That said, it is hard to step backwards once you’ve heard the Raal in a system! Was the tweeter choice more than just a cost consideration? If not, dunno what flexibility you’d have to offer a tweeter upgrade at some point?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Given those benefits, have you thought about a version with the Raal? I’ve got a pair of your bmr bookshelves that sound amazing in a small room, and I love the idea of the super low distortion purifi woofers in my main system in a larger room. That said, it is hard to step backwards once you’ve heard the Raal in a system! Was the tweeter choice more than just a cost consideration? If not, dunno what flexibility you’d have to offer a tweeter upgrade at some point?
Power handling and sensitivity would be my guess and the Mundorf AMT is a top notch tweeter.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Right--And it's substantially more expensive than the RAAL.
Just for clarity, you are specifically talking about the pricing of the 64-10x as used in the Tower and Monitors, not the other Raals (70-10 or 70-20), correct?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Just for clarity, you are specifically talking about the pricing of the 64-10x as used in the Tower and Monitors, not the other Raals (70-10 or 70-20), correct?
Right. The 70-10 is silly expensive and doesn't work any better than the 70-10 over the range I use the tweeter. And even more so for the 70-20, which is really only useful for a low crossover point.

Last edited:

alexis

Audio Company
To clarify BMR HT Tower's finish options, here are several pictures:

Premium Ebony with true piano grade finish (not "just glossy", true piano finish requires 12 layers of paint). This is a customer's picture. Ebony veneer is dark. The picture on Philharmonic Audio's website has more light to it. This picture looks closer to normal room light. It is a much richer black. Ebony is 黑檀木 (name of the wood species) in Mandarin.
BMRHTEbony2.jpg

Premium "Zebra" (酸枝) Satin Open Wood Finish
I took these picture this morning. This is a Satin open wood finish. You can feel the real wood grain by touching it. We have a few pairs in this finish available. People who have been to our Capital Audio Show saw the BMR HT Tower pair in "Walnut" satin. The production run is "Zebra" Satin.
IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

Not so 4K resolution picture of BMR HT and BMR Tower together. There will be six listening gatherings in Taiwan staring them both in the same room that you can switch... :)
HTT.png

Last edited:

JohnnyNG

I'm sure they are great speakers but James Larson also rated the original Klipsch RP8000F's with the same score. He speaks highly of almost every speaker he presents/reviews. I look at his measurements,that's it.
I don't read the subjective part, I go right to the facts.

JAJDACT

And the BMR HT measurements are superb.
Yes they are. I would love to hear them someday. My biggest complaint with the BMR's was the dispersion pattern was too wide for my taste,and they were ouperfomed by a few others when watching movies,and these addressed all my previous complaints. Plus they look drop dead gorgeous like evey speaker Dennis designs.

JohnnyNG

Yes they are. I would love to hear them someday. My biggest complaint with the BMR's was the dispersion pattern was too wide for my taste,and they were ouperfomed by a few others when watching movies,and these addressed all my previous complaints. Plus they look drop dead gorgeous like evey speaker Dennis designs.
What I like over the BMR Tower is the higher tuning and concentration of dynamics above 40Hz or so since I'd be actively crossing at 80Hz.

RMW_NJ

Great review, and confirms another well designed speaker from Philharmonic.

Been going back and forth on the BMR HT and Ascend ELX Titan. One area the BMR HT wins, IMO, is the finish…that ebony is beautiful.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great review, and confirms another well designed speaker from Philharmonic.

Been going back and forth on the BMR HT and Ascend ELX Titan. One area the BMR HT wins, IMO, is the finish…that ebony is beautiful.
either should be great picks...

MarkS

Major Contributor
I am just amazed at the performance achieved by a speaker that uses two $40 off-the-shelf non-standard midrange dirvers.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It would be nice to see this get Klippel-ized just for complete data being available. I don't expect any major revelations from it considering Dennis' designs all perform very well and the preference comes down to whether you like the Wide Dispersion characteristic he prefers. (This is a no-brainer for me as I agree with his preference in that choice.)
Beyond that, everyone that has listened to the HT has reported enjoying it... which shouldn't be a surprise for any that have followed Philharmonic Audio at all.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom