• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

State of the Art passive full-range speakers?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, old swing music must sound awesome! Nothing like a dummy load to give you crystal clear air in the highs. LOL
Oh and...get off my lawn! :D

OP
C

chouca

I'm going to audition the Perlisten S7t and the Blade Two Meta side by side this week, which should be fun.

If I go the Blade Meta route, any advice on choosing between the One and Two for my medium room size? I will be running 2 - 4 subs with Anthem's ARC room correction. It seems like some people feel that the Blade One might be harder to integrate bass-wise, but having the woofers arranged symmetrically around the coaxial mid/tweeter seems attractive to me. Maybe @Kal Rubinson has thoughts?

Also, while my default assumption would be to go with KEF Reference 4 Meta center channel and the Ci5160REFM-THX for the surrounds, should I consider an active center and surrounds, such as Genelec, instead? I used to think it was important to stay with the same speaker brand for voice matching, but with sufficiently neutral speakers it seems like that might become less important.

OP
C

chouca

Welp, our shootout today between the Perlisten S7t and the Blade Two Metas left me a little confused.

I was totally primed to prefer the B2Ms, both because of how much I loved the Blade One Metas at BB Magnolia last month and because I strongly prefer the look of the Blades. But in today's demo the Perlistens sounded smoother, and somehow more naturally coherent throughout the frequency range. The imaging ability of the two speakers was comparable, but neither speaker threw as holographic an image as the B1Ms did, which I assume must be related to the room and/or the setup.

One confounding factor was that the Perlistens were integrated much better with the subs. With the Blades, the subs seemed to be reinforcing some frequencies that the Blades were providing, leading to a boominess in the midbass, so I preferred the Blades with the subs turned off. With the subs off, the Blades were pretty lean in the bass relative to our demo of the B1Ms last month, which had very deep, palpable, and well-controlled bass. This was of course a different room, and somewhat larger than the room we demoed the B1Ms in.

I was really hoping that today the B2Ms would sound very similar to the B1Ms but with maybe less deep bass, but the sound was too different to draw any clear conclusions. So based on today's demo, I haven't really ruled anything out (or in, for that matter). Hoping to hear Magicos next.

nerdoldnerdith

I'm going to audition the Perlisten S7t and the Blade Two Meta side by side this week, which should be fun.

If I go the Blade Meta route, any advice on choosing between the One and Two for my medium room size? I will be running 2 - 4 subs with Anthem's ARC room correction. It seems like some people feel that the Blade One might be harder to integrate bass-wise, but having the woofers arranged symmetrically around the coaxial mid/tweeter seems attractive to me. Maybe @Kal Rubinson has thoughts?

Also, while my default assumption would be to go with KEF Reference 4 Meta center channel and the Ci5160REFM-THX for the surrounds, should I consider an active center and surrounds, such as Genelec, instead? I used to think it was important to stay with the same speaker brand for voice matching, but with sufficiently neutral speakers it seems like that might become less important.
If you are running subs then why do the speakers need to be full range?

levimax

Major Contributor
I would be careful with mixing and matching passive and different active speakers. Active speakers use DSP which will always create some "delay". It is hard enough to get multi-channel speakers timed right without mixing passive and active.

OP
C

chouca

If you are running subs then why do the speakers need to be full range?

I'm running subs for multichannel but might not want to run them for stereo. It depends on how well I can get them to integrate.

OP
C

chouca

I would be careful with mixing and matching passive and different active speakers. Active speakers use DSP which will always create some "delay". It is hard enough to get multi-channel speakers timed right without mixing passive and active.

Ah, that makes sense (and certainly simplifies things), thank you.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Not sure about that,

Keith

MrOtto

Get the KEF Blade Meta. Everyone are impressed by these. KEF does SOTA work these days which gives them the edge over the competition.

D

Deleted member 4708

I'm teetering on the brink of pulling the trigger on used Blade Two Metas. At $15K it seems too easy not to give them a try.
I prefer the narrower dispersion of the S7T for imaging and less room reverb. However, 15k$ is a very good deal on Meta 2 Blades. I say it's a win-win. Which ones do you like aesthetically? Nothing wrong in this case with some subjective choice. S7T is geeky looking - like a Lego block.

OP
C

chouca

I prefer the narrower dispersion of the S7T for imaging and less room reverb. However, 15k$ is a very good deal on Meta 2 Blades. I say it's a win-win. Which ones do you like aesthetically? Nothing wrong in this case with some subjective choice. S7T is geeky looking - like a Lego block.

The S7Ts were a bit visually imposing in my room because of the baffle width and the large number of drivers, and the Blades have a sculptural quality that I enjoy, so I prefer the Blades aesthetically. I think they are both attractive-looking speakers, and I really like the Perlistens in natural ebony.

Anyway, I just bought the Blades! I was crazy lucky to stumble upon a mint used pair, available for local pickup, in my preferred color combo of Frosted Blue/Bronze. I'm still curious to hear Magicos at some point, but am more excited to get the Blades set up and dialed in for now.

Will post my listening impressions once I have some. Yay!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The S7Ts were a bit visually imposing in my room because of the baffle width and the large number of drivers, and the Blades have a sculptural quality that I enjoy, so I prefer the Blades aesthetically. I think they are both attractive-looking speakers, and I really like the Perlistens in natural ebony.

Anyway, I just bought the Blades! I was crazy lucky to stumble upon a mint used pair, available for local pickup, in my preferred color combo of Frosted Blue/Bronze. I'm still curious to hear Magicos at some point, but am more excited to get the Blades set up and dialed in for now.

Will post my listening impressions once I have some. Yay!

Awesome. That’s exciting!

I’ve bought plenty of used speakers. It’s a fun way to try out speakers on my own room.
I pay careful attention to resale value of whatever I purchase so selling afterward has always been easy. I presume the Blades have good resale value if they don’t work out for you.

Top Bottom