• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 372 90.1%

• Total voters

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And although I defended Teashea, I do feel he's a bit hung up on the for nearfield use thing, but I'm guessing he's largely thinking in the way a pro would. For 99% of us it is irrelevant, within reason obviously.
You are correct. I have four pleasure listening systems with "normal" speaker systems. My interest in Neumann monitors is strictly for my studio.

Ze Frog

You are correct. I have four pleasure listening systems with "normal" speaker systems. My interest in Neumann monitors is strictly for my studio.
Can I ask what speakers you use for Hi-fi listening?

For me I find them all mostly disappointing, although modern KEF's seem well thought out for the most part. Part of my going to change to monitors is because I have D.I.Y'ed for the last few years, but ends up more expensive as it's so addictive. Plus nothing I've created could match a lot of these modern monitors, and especially for the price. To be fair D.I.Y is kind of a trap, even if you build something that's seemingly perfect it's too much of a drive to improve, was a fun hobby, but bloody expensive over the years, to the point I kinda begrudge doing anymore.

teashea

I am glad to share that information. I use the following speakers in my systems. 1) Legacy Focus 2) Klipsch Cornwall IV 3) Klipsch Forte III 4) Legacy Classic

I will note that none of these pretend to have flat frequency response. For my pleasure listening, I want speakers that color the sound in particular ways and that are very dynamic. They are also all very efficient. Very different than the role of the monitors in my studio. A couple of photos attached.
20230115_182028.jpg
20230117_154550.jpg

teashea

Can I ask what speakers you use for Hi-fi listening?

For me I find them all mostly disappointing, although modern KEF's seem well thought out for the most part. Part of my going to change to monitors is because I have D.I.Y'ed for the last few years, but ends up more expensive as it's so addictive. Plus nothing I've created could match a lot of these modern monitors, and especially for the price. To be fair D.I.Y is kind of a trap, even if you build something that's seemingly perfect it's too much of a drive to improve, was a fun hobby, but bloody expensive over the years, to the point I kinda begrudge doing anymore.

Yes - speakers and monitors are expensive.

Ze Frog

I am glad to share that information. I use the following speakers in my systems. 1) Legacy Focus 2) Klipsch Cornwall IV 3) Klipsch Forte III 4) Legacy Classic

I will note that none of these pretend to have flat frequency response. For my pleasure listening, I want speakers that color the sound in particular ways and that are very dynamic. They are also all very efficient. Very different than the role of the monitors in my studio. A couple of photos attached.View attachment 343534View attachment 343535
Damn that's a nice set-up.

Yeah, I more aim for flat mainly so I can EQ when required and know I have a good base to start from. Those Klipsch are silly expensive here in UK, well to me at least, but they sure look pretty if nothing else. I was looking at Forte IV's during my tube amp phase. That's quite a space as well, here in UK living rooms are what most people would class as a cupboard, lol, in a regular type semi affordable house anyways. Probably something a lot of people stateside don't get so much as properties seem to be more ample, just like how American cars used to be before the industry starting going more Euro style proportions.

Ze Frog

Yes - speakers and monitors are expensive.
Monitors definitely seem to offer more value, when budget is a constraint though. Plus I like the idea of having the amplifier's and DSP included. Until say a year ago I was one of those dead against powered speakers, but I'm starting to see the light now.

It's also a good excuse to not spend money on certain upgrades, I'd rather spend it on actual physical music media instead. The irony is, over the last decade of D.I.Y and trying new stuff here and there, I probably could have brought something pretty epic instead. Dutch and Dutch 8C has been the dream speaker, lol, and a pair of Pioneer HPM 100's for nostalgia, a very rare speaker to find in the UK and when they do come up they are silly money.

quattro98

Forum Donor
This is what Neumann recommends in the manual. Genelec has similar recommendations, but go on to elaborate that these are driven, in part, by direct sound vs. reflected sound. I wouldn't hesitate to use the KH 120 II in the midfield, with some output and low frequency limitations, no different than any other bookshelf speaker.
  • Recommended listening distance for KH 120 II: 1 .0 m – 2 .0 m
  • Min ./max . listening distance for KH 120 II: 0 .75 m – 4 .0 m

And although I defended Teashea, I do feel he's a bit hung up on the for nearfield use thing, but I'm guessing he's largely thinking in the way a pro would. For 99% of us it is irrelevant, within reason obviously.

teashea

Damn that's a nice set-up.

Yeah, I more aim for flat mainly so I can EQ when required and know I have a good base to start from. Those Klipsch are silly expensive here in UK, well to me at least, but they sure look pretty if nothing else. I was looking at Forte IV's during my tube amp phase. That's quite a space as well, here in UK living rooms are what most people would class as a cupboard, lol, in a regular type semi affordable house anyways. Probably something a lot of people stateside don't get so much as properties seem to be more ample, just like how American cars used to be before the industry starting going more Euro style proportions.
Thank you. Well, there are soooooooooo many options. Are you enjoying the search?

Ze Frog

Thank you. Well, there are soooooooooo many options. Are you enjoying the search?
My search is almost at an end. It's either Neumann KH 150 or 120ii, or Genelec 8350 or 8340. And then a matching sub from same company. Getting more and more persuaded by Genelec to be honest,GLM seems to be a lot more together and provide more control. Moving soon, in the meantime getting rid of loads of stuff and starting from scratch.

IamJF

GLM is for sure better in connectivity and use in bigger setups. But I would claim that MA1 is doing the better correction.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
My search is almost at an end. It's either Neumann KH 150 or 120ii, or Genelec 8350 or 8340. And then a matching sub from same company. Getting more and more persuaded by Genelec to be honest,GLM seems to be a lot more together and provide more control. Moving soon, in the meantime getting rid of loads of stuff and starting from scratch.
Considering the exact same models

teashea

Whatever you choose is going to be very good. Nice decision process.

Ze Frog

Considering the exact same models
I'm probably most likely to get Genelec 8340's. Really good price, plus GLM allows dual subwoofers from my understanding. I know it can be dodged with MA1, but I'd much rather the more together GLM. Plus the Genelec's look nicer in my opinion, although I know their look is kind of you like them or not. In RAW they look really nice, obviously they naturally tarnish over time, but nothing a good polish and a thin oil won't stop.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm probably most likely to get Genelec 8340's. Really good price, plus GLM allows dual subwoofers from my understanding. I know it can be dodged with MA1, but I'd much rather the more together GLM. Plus the Genelec's look nicer in my opinion, although I know their look is kind of you like them or not. In RAW they look really nice, obviously they naturally tarnish over time, but nothing a good polish and a thin oil won't stop.
Yes.
I also prefer the aluminum Genelec cabinets over the plastic /MDF of the Neumanns

Ze Frog

Yes.
I also prefer the aluminum Genelec cabinets over the plastic /MDF of the Neumanns
It's not so much the materials with me, more the shape and finish. I'd imagine the Neumann's hold up extremely well over time in that regard, and I can see why some would prefer those looks. The Genelec is definitely a love it or hate it look.

When I first saw a picture of the '1's' I actually chuckled to myself, but they have really grown on me despite the really oddball aesthetic's. Think I don't need to worry about that anyway, I'd need the 8341 at least and price is a bit beyond my intended level. Will see, if after the move I'm a bit more flush they are a very slim possibility. Those in white are awesome, would look great in a minimalist Scandinavian modern design living room.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
It's not so much the materials with me, more the shape and finish. I'd imagine the Neumann's hold up extremely well over time in that regard, and I can see why some would prefer those looks. The Genelec is definitely a love it or hate it look.

When I first saw a picture of the '1's' I actually chuckled to myself, but they have really grown on me despite the really oddball aesthetic's. Think I don't need to worry about that anyway, I'd need the 8341 at least and price is a bit beyond my intended level. Will see, if after the move I'm a bit more flush they are a very slim possibility. Those in white are awesome, would look great in a minimalist Scandinavian modern design living room.
When you'll touch and see the aluminum cabinets up close you'll know what I'm talking about

unpluggged

When you'll touch and see the aluminum cabinets up close you'll know what I'm talking about
The KH 750 DSP feels exactly the same to the touch as the KH 120.

unpluggged

Top Bottom