• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Or perhaps more realistic continuous specifications to cover all markets and allow for the bridged operation to viably rated. NAD have a reputation to protect and an expectation that continuous rated power is actually achievable. They are being honest perhaps.

They appear to be running the two channels in opposite polarity (an NAD favourite since the 2200) to reduce strain on the PSU. As we have seen with Amir's testing for channel separation, things can go awry due to that.

Also, I'm very glad to see NAD have provided an earthed product with a proper screw terminal chassis earth. Nice!
I can assure you its achievable :)

Its not due to heat. These modules are more efficient than the older Hypex ones. They just dont get hot. You can run them on the bench at normal volumes without any heatsinking.

Its either lower capacity/ lower voltage PSU and/or the modules are different.

Why are you glad? have you thrown out your house full of class ii non earthed equipment yet? :p

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Could they, please, place four units [subwoofer, woofer, mids, highs] into a single speaker, send me a couple of them when ready and avoid me the bother of all that mess with so many connections, cables and the likes?
Be aware of the voltage, please, as well as the plug, calling you from Europe...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
hy are you glad? have you thrown out your house full of class ii non earthed equipment yet?

No, but I'm sure my long suffering partner would love it if I did!. Actually, not, she already has dibs on a complete Sony ES "spare" set for her "conservatory" should we ever get to build the house we really want. And yes, that range of gear is Class ii from end to end. (mutters under his breath)...

Perhaps like NAD did with the M-22, they just under-rated (under-stated) the power output. It's not a power race to them and 1% THD numbers really don't press the audiophiles' buttons. They like to have a zero and maybe another zero before the integers start in their percentages.

Me, I just wish we could draw a line in the sand on power output at clipping at say 0.1% THD or 1% or whatever.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
No, but I'm sure my long suffering partner would love it if I did!. Actually, not, she already has dibs on a complete Sony ES "spare" set for her "conservatory" should we ever get to build the house we really want. And yes, that range of gear is Class ii from end to end. (mutters under his breath)...

Perhaps like NAD did with the M-22, they just under-rated (under-stated) the power output. It's not a power race to them and 1% THD numbers really don't press the audiophiles' buttons. They like to have a zero and maybe another zero before the integers start in their percentages.

Me, I just wish we could draw a line in the sand on power output at clipping at say 0.1% THD or 1% or whatever.
True they could have just understated it, but it doesnt make much sense from a marketing POV.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the power rating is related to heat or something else besides the degree of clipping. If you look at the M33 power specs, the rated power is less than the 0.1% clipping spec. Also, from what I can gather tthe M33 has no overhead and the dynamic power spec is really just the 1% clipping value.

[following is for M33, not C298]
  • Rated output power (ref. 20 Hz-20 kHz at rated THD, both channels driven)
    >200 W into 8 ohms >380 W into 4 ohms
  • Rated output power, Bridge mode (ref. 20 Hz – 20 kHz at rated THD)
    >700 W into 8 ohms
  • Clipping power
    >210 W (0.1 % THD 1 kHz 8 ohms)
  • IHF dynamic power
    8 ohms: 260 W
    4 ohms: 520 W
edit: now I see that rated power is for the rated THD (rated THD is 0.003%), so it would seem @restorer-john is right that they are being very conservative. If I am understanding their specs correctly

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
True they could have just understated it, but it doesnt make much sense from a marketing POV.

I guess until we throw one on our respective benches and push it to the limit we don't know.

Me, I won't see one, likely, forever, as I'll be too old before they start needing restoration or repair. You on the other hand, might be able to buy one as a tax deduction for "competitor's market research" and test the be'jesus out of it. Then send it to me as a gift. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Also, I'm very glad to see NAD have provided an earthed product with a proper screw terminal chassis earth. Nice!
Yes. When I unpacked the M28, I found a short spade-terminated cable that was not listed as included. It is, of course, a link for earthing.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal, any comments to share about SQ vs your AHB2 setup?
No because they are in different systems/houses. I do comment on the SQ of the M33 in the latest Stereophile.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
From the press release:

"The Eigentakt modules are manufactured by NAD under license from Purifi, allowing NAD to optimise these specifically in combination with the custom designed power supply and input stages of the C 298."
Yes. This applies to the Purifi modules as well as the nCore modules in other products.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it is likely that NAD is understating the output for two reasons. It keeps from cannabalizing M22 sales as much and leaves room to rate a M series at a higher power if/when they release one. While most here would buy the C298 knowing that the difference between say 180 watts and 225 watts is 1 db, most potential purchasers see the bigger number and that it is from the “higher end” Masters line as a well worth the 50% of so price premium. Extra features on the M series may also justify the price to some users (the auto on and off on the M22 was the key factor why I purchased it over the other Ncore amps).

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Auto off, yes, but does it have auto on?

Yes. It was implemented after a certain serial number on the V2. Mine goes on when it receives a signal from the preamp (through xlr, not a turn on lead) and off after 30 minutes of silence. It is nice not having to turn it on and off each time, especially as Nad uses that funky switch on the front that has no feedback.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes. It was implemented after a certain serial number on the V2. Mine goes on when it receives a signal from the preamp (through xlr, not a turn on lead) and off after 30 minutes of silence. It is nice not having to turn it on and off each time, especially as Nad uses that funky switch on the front that has no feedback.
Hmmm. I will have to see if the M28 can do that.

orangejello

Nad uses that funky switch on the front that has no feedback.

I have to say that I like the switch. A quick swipe turns it on. Touching it for three seconds turns it off. Once you get used to it, you don't need feedback, and it is nice that there are no switch parts to wear out or or to break.

The automatic on/off on the M22 v2 is something else I really appreciate. I like being able to fall asleep or leave and know that the amp will go into standby. It wakes up when the amp senses a tiny voltage signal. So if you don't like the switch, you rarely have to use it.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say that I like the switch. A quick swipe turns it on. Touching it for three seconds turns it off. Once you get used to it, you don't need feedback, and it is nice that there are no switch parts to wear out or or to break.

The automatic on/off on the M22 v2 is something else I really appreciate. I like being able to fall asleep or leave and know that the amp will go into standby. It wakes up when the amp senses a tiny voltage signal. So if you don't like the switch, you rarely have to use it.
I like that NAD standby is low power. M22 spec is <0.5W. Lately a lot of stuff I happen to be looking at have standby of several watts. E.g. Rythmik L12 standby spec is 7W! Can't they do better?

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor

How the NAD M28 compares to M33 ?
Difficult to say as one is an amp vs the other being an integrated amp +DAC.
I plan to use Okto dac8pro with nad m28 and a computer for an HT set-up.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How the NAD M28 compares to M33 ?
Difficult to say as one is an amp vs the other being an integrated amp +DAC.
It is even more difficult to say because I sent back the M33 before receiving the M28 and because I used them in different systems/homes.
I plan to use Okto dac8pro with nad m28 and a computer for an HT set-up.
That is my ultimate plan, too.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The manual doesn’t show that option. I am guessing as a7 channel they expect it wil be used with a processor with a trigger,as they seem to be common on multi channel than 2 channel.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The manual doesn’t show that option. I am guessing as a7 channel they expect it wil be used with a processor with a trigger,as they seem to be common on multi channel than 2 channel.
I can do that, I guess.

Top Bottom