• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TomJ

If they're doing their own amp module assembly under license, some components may differ like we saw with the M28. When we see a C 298 test and teardown, we'll find out whether the buffer is balanced (XLR and RCA inputs have the same impedance, unlike the M28) and if they downgraded the caps to cut costs.

Last edited:

lappy

Interested in buying this one, and I'm following this thread. What is the reason for 185 watts in stereo but 620 watts in bridged mode (with the same THD)? Is it common for amplifiers that the power more than doubles?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interested in buying this one, and I'm following this thread. What is the reason for 185 watts in stereo but 620 watts in bridged mode (with the same THD)? Is it common for amplifiers that the power more than doubles?
Yes, properly done bridged should be 4 times the power, that this is less suggests the power supply and or the cooling isn't up to it. Or maybe there is something weird about those modules, as the normal ones are not recommended for bridging.

lappy

Emailed NAD and asked about the lower power rating of the C298 as compared to M33 and other implementations....I basically got my question back, totally useless response:
"
Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Center and for your interest in the M33 and C298.

The M33 and C298 both employ the new Purifi Eigentakt™ Hybrid Digital amplifier technology,

The M33's rated output power is >200 W into 8 ohms and >380 W into 4 ohms.

Whereas the C298 uses a slightly lower-powered Purifi Eigentakt™ Hybrid Digital amplifier whos Rated output power is 185 W at 8 ohms and 340 W at 4 ohms and is fully optimized.

I hope this information is helpful for your purchasing decision.

"

eduardw

Forum Donor
I was thinking for going for the NAD C298. But now I'm thinking maybe i should wait until purifi comes with the new more powerful amp module.

lappy

I was thinking for going for the NAD C298. But now I'm thinking maybe i should wait until purifi comes with the new more powerful amp module.
Has a new module been officially confirmed or announced or is it speculation?

eduardw

Forum Donor
If you ask me it is a bit more then speculation. You could always send an email to purifi like i did :). But I think the biggest question is when will they be available. I still have a good function amp so I'm maybe willing to wait another few months.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i, too, am waiting for a new, more powerful purifi module. One thing to add to the confusion regarding NAD C298 is why there is a bridging option when purifi specifically states it is NOT recommended and "all operation and performance specs are void in this configuration"

lappy

i, too, am waiting for a new, more powerful purifi module. One thing to add to the confusion regarding NAD C298 is why there is a bridging option when purifi specifically states it is NOT recommended and "all operation and performance specs are void in this configuration"
Starting to look like Nad is building their own Purifi modules using the tech/algorithms invented by Purifi.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has a new module been officially confirmed or announced or is it speculation?
Audioxpress magazine had a Purifi factory visit and they told them they are working on higher powered modules.

lappy

Some more info from Nad:
"
Thank you for your reply. I am happy to provide further clarification.

NAD does not purchase the Purifi modules, we build them ourselves under a license which is true for both the C298 and M33.

The modules are the same, but there are slight differences with the PSU, also in good 'ol NAD tradition, the power output is conservatively specced. In practical terms, the C298 output will be closer to 200W.

Note that 200W equates to 23.01dBW and 185W to 22.67 dBW, a difference of 0.34 dB. Negligible from an output point of view.

I trust this feedback is more helpful.

Kind regards,
"

typericey

I was initially excited about this amp and planning to replace my Rotel with it. Theoretically this amp will out-measure the Rotel. But upon seeing Amir's teardown of the M33, I was again disappointed in seeing Lelong and Samwha caps. If they cheaped out on the Master series, what more in the C Series?

I know this will sound biased, but as far as I know, Rotel uses only premium components: Nichicon, JRC, Sanken, etc. They are proud of their custom "British made" caps and make their own transformers, even circuit boards. Nothing is outsourced. Looking at teardown pics on the net, and looking through the grilles of my own gear with a flashlight, I don't see any crap-acitors. As far as I know, Rotel is the most affordable amp brand with these kinds of "respectable" components. This is one of the reasons I chose the brand for my amplification. I'm also comparing Rotel to NAD because they're in similar price brackets.

For me, good measurement is important but so is good components, for reliability and longevity's sake.

mafelba

$1,999 U.S. MSRP, press release below.

Variable gain knob and line out for subwoofers, nice touches! :)

I hope it doesn't have the auto shutoff feature like my C 268. Absolutely drives me CRAZY. My amp is turning on and off 20 times a day and I have to wait 10 seconds every time i turn it on. I'm watching TV, leave for a few minutes and its off. No way to turn that feature off and my preamp does not have a trigger to keep the amp from turning off. HIGHLY ANNOYING.

TomJ

When we see a C 298 test and teardown, we'll find out whether the buffer is balanced (XLR and RCA inputs have the same impedance, unlike the M28)...

Update from NAD support re the buffer question: fully balanced, both inputs have the same Ω because each has its own buffer.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom