• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My account is hacked

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4620 more posts and you, too, will be "Grand" just like me.
The Grand Puba... Actually... why doesn't this seem like a stretch?

lf

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know... Prove that it's you by anwering 3 questions...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
At least we aren't giving him the test for being a witch. We all know how that turns out. :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do wonder how this happened using 1password. You might want to tell them. Maybe they've been hacked and don't know yet.
I somehow kept my old password on ASR. I had been using it on many places online for a long while, hence it is logical that it was eventually hacked. I have checked on a hacked password database and the password is still not showing as being hacked and 1password also does not flag it. Obviously, I changed it anyway.

hege

Forum Donor
Good reminder that there is absolutely no reason to use anything but a randomly generated password for each site. I save and sync everything with Firefox (remember to use a master password), aside from any financial or otherwise sensitive sites which go into secure KeePassXC.

Also goes without saying that 2FA should be used as needed. This forum isn't so sensitive that I would bother though. :D

Last edited:

Ornette

I somehow kept my old password on ASR. I had been using it on many places online for a long while, hence it is logical that it was eventually hacked. I have checked on a hacked password database and the password is still not showing as being hacked and 1password also does not flag it. Obviously, I changed it anyway.
I use Dashlane, which includes a random strong password generator. Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying, it doesn't seem like a great idea to be creating your own passwords, and certainly not to reuse them on multiple sites. Just trying to be helpful here.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Dashlane, which includes a random strong password generator. Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying, it doesn't seem like a great idea to be creating your own passwords, and certainly not to reuse them on multiple sites. Just trying to be helpful here.
I'm using bitwarden as password keeper and generator

delta76

Major Contributor
I wondered why anyone would hack an ASR account. Now we know.
they would hack anything they can. it's far too common that people use same passwords on many websites.
of course in this case, it's an attempted scam. but better to protect all of your accounts always

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
they would hack anything they can. it's far too common that people use same passwords on many websites.
of course in this case, it's an attempted scam. but better to protect all of your accounts always
They usually have reasons, even if it's just to send spam from your email account.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They usually have reasons, even if it's just to send spam from your email account.
The problem here was not that my email account was hacked. It was not compromised. The only thing they did was to get take control of my account by changing the email address to something I cannot access, hence locking me out of my account.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem here was not that my email account was hacked. It was not compromised. The only thing they did was to get take control of my account by changing the email address to something I cannot access, hence locking me out of my account.
Right. We were just musing as to why hackers do their hacking. Generally I think they have an aim in mind.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a reminder to check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ frequently.
It is a good first step test but that couldn't have helped me. It can only advise one to change their password, which I did at the time and checked it against a hacked password database, which showed me that the password was not leaked. I checked the hacked password just now and it is still not found. Someone, somehow guessed my password. They didn't get it from a leak at somewhere.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right. We were just musing as to why hackers do their hacking. Generally I think they have an aim in mind.
In this case the aim was to steal money. Isn't that obvious?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a good first step test but that couldn't have helped me. It can only advise one to change their password, which I did at the time and checked it against a hacked password database, which showed me that the password was not leaked. I checked the hacked password just now and it is still not found. Someone, somehow guessed my password. They didn't get it from a leak at somewhere.
There are programs that automatically keep trying passwords. Not sure if ASR locks out after so many attempts.

Top Bottom