• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My account is hacked

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Dashlane, which includes a random strong password generator. Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying, it doesn't seem like a great idea to be creating your own passwords, and certainly not to reuse them on multiple sites. Just trying to be helpful here.
I do not use the same password on all my sites. I use 1password to manage passwords and my passwords are tested and reported as "extremely strong". There is no way to stop anyone hacking anything if they put their mind to it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
There is no way to stop anyone hacking anything if they put their mind to it.
Hive+Systems+Password+Table.png
Of course, all that goes out the window if the hacker has access to and knows how to use a quantum computer. Look up Shor's algorithm for details on that.

Last edited:

hege

Forum Donor
Not sure if ASR locks out after so many attempts.
Xenforo limits login tries to 4 times per 15 minutes per user by default. But nothing prevents from trying all 40000 users sequentually over and over.. would be interesting to check logs if someone is brute forcing..

hege

Forum Donor
View attachment 249681
Of course, all that goes out the window if the hacker has access to and knows how to use a quantum computer. Look up Shor's algorithm for details on that.
This is completely irrelevant for brute forcing any service which will throttle failed logins. Web services also can't respond a million times per second in any case.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Xenforo limits login tries to 4 times per 15 minutes per user by default. But nothing prevents from trying all 40000 users sequentually over and over.. would be interesting to check logs if someone is brute forcing..
That's an alarming thought.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

hege

Forum Donor
That's an alarming thought.
Only if users have extremely poor passwords. There's many other scenarios that could have happened here to get the password, or even not get the password and just capture the session etc. (But that's Amir's or his admins job to parse from the logs)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if users have extremely poor passwords. There's many other scenarios that could have happened here to get the password, or even not get the password and just capture the session etc. (But that's Amir's or his admins job to parse from the logs)
Or, perhaps Sarumbear has malware. A thorough sweep of his computer might be in order.

threni

Major Contributor
This is completely irrelevant for brute forcing any service which will throttle failed logins. Web services also can't respond a million times per second in any case.
If they obtain access to the database, or the server it's on, they could do whatever they want (potentially offline). Weak passwords would fall in a few seconds.

hege

Forum Donor
If they obtain access to the database, or the server it's on, they could do whatever they want (potentially offline). Weak passwords would fall in a few seconds.
Sure, it's not unheard of silly admins opening ports to the public internet and databases leaking. If they get on the server, they can do anything they want with the users directly anyway. Weak passwords and ignorant users can't be helped.

Passwords with modern hashes take a good while to break, you'd only do it in "seconds" if the password is some reallly silly like one in the list of most common ones. From thousands of users there is always some of course, atleast on some crappy services which doesn't force any complexity.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or, perhaps Sarumbear has malware. A thorough sweep of his computer might be in order.
The hacking was done by someone else on a different computer than mine and on the ASR website. I was not involved.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The hacking was done by someone else on a different computer than mine and on the ASR website. I was not involved.
Right, but conceivably the information was harvested off your computer. Some malware these days is scary good.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, but conceivably the information was harvested off your computer. Some malware these days is scary good.
Of course it’s possible but nobody has hacked any other account. No online stores, no banks, etc. was compromised. Then again, of course ASR is the most important of my accounts! :)

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Right. We were just musing as to why hackers do their hacking. Generally I think they have an aim in mind.

Sometimes you just want to sit around the house in the dark with a ski mask and type into 4 terminal windows at a time with fingerless gloves, but you feel you need an excuse

Top Bottom