• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Worlds Best Cables are always sold out.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The link I posted earlier is the same cable and same connectors. A pro audio company and all told for a price roughly the same as WBC from Amazon. I like WBC and have a few pairs. If your specific item isn't currently available the other company can supply it. Not quite as easy peasy as Amazon ordering, but not exactly hard to do. I also noticed on Amazon you could get WBC in the 6 ft length with the same cable with Eminence connectors. Know nothing of them, but if you were in a hurry they were available in the dozens with Mogami cabling.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
FWIW - and, no, nobody asked for my opinion :rolleyes: - I tend to buy stuff like "this" (cables) from Markertek. Maybe a little more expensive (although I am not convinced that's always the case), fine quality products and absolutely outstanding customer service.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
…You can order what you want from this place. I've not done business with them myself. Located in Salt Lake City, Utah.

FWIW - and, no, nobody asked for my opinion :rolleyes: - I tend to buy stuff like "this" (cables) from Markertek. Maybe a little more expensive (although I am not convinced that's always the case), fine quality products and absolutely outstanding customer service.

I’d add a third - Redco in CT.

I’ve bought custom cables as well as cable parts from all three and recommend all of them.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
people cant be advocating making your own xlr trs cables right?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How does limited availability indicate fraud / fake parts? Did I miss something? Sounds more like a problem with real inputs to me.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How does limited availability indicate fraud / fake parts? Did I miss something? Sounds more like a problem with real inputs to me.
Unhappy consumers....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Mogami and Canare with Neutrik or Amphenol connectors are all fine. As long as assembled well. Yes, not too hard to make your own. I've done it myself. If you plan on doing it a whole bunch buying a bulk roll of cable and making exactly what you want in precise lengths is very worthwhile.

OTOH, with the prices WBC charged and ability to Amazon it in a day or so it is almost not worth your time if you want a standard length and only a few pieces. The places I and others have suggested are fine. Some charge a little more, but not a huge amount plus you can customize to exactly what you want. I've purchased from Redco and Makertek with good experiences.

So the OP could have gotten precisely what he wanted from elsewhere in the time this thread has been going on. Usually WBC doesn't have this weird situation with only 1 in stock shown. I doubt it will stay that way, and it isn't that way for most of what they offer on Amazon.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right? I'm hoping there's a back story to this.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I enjoy making unbalanced cables -- I haven't made any XLRs, though. They're - what? - 50% more work! (or is it 33.3% more work*?).

Neutrik REAN connector & Mogami cable :)

I have "repaired" XLR cables -- in the sense that the XLR connector "standard" hasn't really, truly always been a standard. More of a guideline**, you know? ;)

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Maybe long time diyers lost a bit perspective, but from someone that learned how to solder not long time ago:
Soldering an interconnect or any other audio cable is not the easiest thing to do for the newbie, it is definitely not like soldering a through hole resistor:
- Cables tend to be heavy, you need a decent third hand or some way to hold the cable and connector well in place. Many newbies don't think about it the first time (☝️) and everything ends up in disaster.
- Cables and connectors tend to dissipate the heat fairly well, a newbie used to solder leds to a PCB will wonder what the heck is going on here, or even worse, leave a nice cold solder joint without even knowing.
- Quite often, i.e. with trs connectors, the space between solder points is very limited, the cables thick, and the position the cables need to adopt not so straight forward to achieve so that everything fits in the connector capsule once the job is done.
- last but not least: when your pushbutton in your Arduino project is badly soldered, well, it is not the end of the world, but when you short something that should not be shorted in your audio system....
just go and buy your finished cable, they are not that expensive.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe long time diyers lost a bit perspective, but from someone that learned how to solder not long time ago:
Soldering an interconnect or any other audio cable is not the easiest thing to do for the newbie, it is definitely not like soldering a through hole resistor:
- Cables tend to be heavy, you need a decent third hand or some way to hold the cable and connector well in place. Many newbies don't think about it the first time (☝️) and everything ends up in disaster.
- Cables and connectors tend to dissipate the heat fairly well, a newbie used to solder leds to a PCB will wonder what the heck is going on here, or even worse, leave a nice cold solder joint without even knowing.
- Quite often, i.e. with trs connectors, the space between solder points is very limited, the cables thick, and the position the cables need to adopt not so straight forward to achieve so that everything fits in the connector capsule once the job is done.
- last but not least: when your pushbutton in your Arduino project is badly soldered, well, it is not the end of the world, but when you short something that should not be shorted in your audio system....
just go and buy your finished cable, they are not that expensive.
I agree. I'd rather pay someone competent to do a nice job, even though I could do it myself. But I understand those being thrifty or whatever.

Top Bottom