• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AFAIK he did not do the null for this track (which is from here: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/06/measurements-audioquest-dragonfly-black_24.html ) but he did for others:
But he is not using DeltaWave there because there was no DeltaWave back then.
The second one is even more interesting.

His conclusions speak for themselves:

1. Like I noted in my previous post comparing high-res downloads using the same mastering as TIDAL's MQA software decoder, I can say that MQA does "work" as claimed to reconstruct material >22/24kHz with reasonable accuracy. It uses the bits below the noise floor to reconstruct the high frequency material above the 22.05/24kHz "baseband" Nyquist frequency. Hardware decoding as explored in the track "Blågutten" indeed does have reconstituted ultrasonic frequencies beyond 44.1kHz which is the limit for TIDAL's "MQA Core" software decoder which goes up to 44.1/48kHz (corresponding to 88.2/96kHz sampling rate).

And....

Based on what I found last time and now evaluating the output from an actual high quality MQA-decoding DAC, I can commend MQA for creating an interesting compression CODEC for streaming that works to unobtrusively embed data below the noise floor and reconstructs the first unfolding to 88/96kHz "MQA Core" quite well (I do have some reservations for the octaves above this).

Since this was known 4 years ago, why are there still so much misrepresentation about MQA on every anti-MQA thread on the internet?

What was the purpose of OP's "experiment?"

Last edited:

Slayer

Let me the first to admit, I am in no way a technical expert on MQA, nor I am contributing any technical expertise regarding the subject at hand.
It appears to me and I'm sure many here, that the arguments regarding MQA have both been covered pro and con repeatedly over and over. Can we really beat this dead horse much more at this point ?

Now it would appear this thread has delved into an Ego pissing contest. It's not giving a good look for some. I have Never been one for locking threads, but maybe it's time to move on before to any more things are said that can't be taken back.
Remember folks, " say and forget it ". "write it and regret it "

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Do your homework, watch the videos, read the threads.
Archimago has already analyzed MQA way back in 2017 and made perfectly reasonable conclusions. Obviously OP was oblivious to that.

As most of the anti-MQA posters here and elsewhere.

mtristand

I am simply here to make sure incorrect technical or business/industry information is not spread.

Now if you are not convinced of my technical explanations, ask your questions. But don't just make statements like this with debating tactics like "desperately trying to control the narrative." There is a massive "control of the narrative" in the form of OP's videos that you are oblivious to in your statement.

That's just the thing though: People have asked you questions (myself included) and you seem to be avoiding the harder-hitting ones. You say you don't want incorrect technical/business/industry information to spread but I can't find anything from you speaking out against MQA's misleading advertising (or even empathizing with such concerns that people have put forth over it), or address the issues with their responses.

When I gave you a big list of really questionably-worded claims from MQA, you immediately latched onto the easiest one to defend and ignored the rest. What am I to make of that?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

1. Like I noted in my previous post comparing high-res downloads using the same mastering as TIDAL's MQA software decoder, I can say that MQA does "work" as claimed to reconstruct material >22/24kHz with reasonable accuracy. It uses the bits below the noise floor to reconstruct the high frequency material above the 22.05/24kHz "baseband" Nyquist frequency. Hardware decoding as explored in the track "Blågutten" indeed does have reconstituted ultrasonic frequencies beyond 44.1kHz which is the limit for TIDAL's "MQA Core" software decoder which goes up to 44.1/48kHz (corresponding to 88.2/96kHz sampling rate).

And....

Based on what I found last time and now evaluating the output from an actual high quality MQA-decoding DAC, I can commend MQA for creating an interesting compression CODEC for streaming that works to unobtrusively embed data below the noise floor and reconstructs the first unfolding to 88/96kHz "MQA Core" quite well (I do have some reservations for the octaves above this).

Since this was known 4 years ago, why are there still so much misrepresentation about MQA on every anti-MQA thread on the internet?

Let's include more of Archimago's post, shall we?

However, I see no evidence that whatever temporal "de-blurring" is being performed is audible. This is interesting considering that I'm evaluating one of the 2L tracks here which should be able to benefit from the full capability of the MQA algorithm given that it was recorded in very high-resolution and information like the microphones and impulse response measurements should be obtainable. Furthermore, these 2L demos were much ballyhooed a year ago at CES2016 as benefiting greatly from the MQA process.

Well everyone, I think that's all I have to say about MQA (famous last words?). At the end of the day, there are really no surprises here. In fact, how could there really have been (unless one still believes in advertising hyperbole)? From start to finish this was always a mechanism of compressing "high-resolution" PCM for streaming. High-resolution was never all that audible to begin with so we can't expect the partially-lossy-compression technique to sound much different. In fact, we should be very suspicious if it did sound remarkably different from the high-res source it's derived from! As for the "de-blurring", who knows what they were referring to. Maybe it's just about their minimum-phase upsampling (Yippie... Remember the results of this blind test?) or maybe there really is some background DSP going on during encoding utilizing ADC/DAC impulse responses. In any event, I'm not seeing (or hearing) much impact.

IOW, much of what MQA promises is BS.

Mulder

Forum Donor
[
Not by their marketing people, who kept talking and writing it was lossless.
I can agree that MQA marketing is kind of missleading, or att least not very informative, but I have tried to find where they say MQA is lossless. I can’t find any example where they claim that.

ebslo

Forum Donor

And....

Just tagging @Archimago in case he would like to know his work is being discussed.

Zensō

Major Contributor
[

I can agree that MQA marketing is kind of missleading, or att least not very informative, but I have tried to find where they say MQA is lossless. I can’t find any example where they claim that.
407DD29B-D465-4DE7-BFFD-170C2E34978F.jpeg

https://uspto.report/TM/85965607

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Let's include more of Archimago's post, shall we?

IOW, much of what MQA promises is BS.
I thought that MQA's big sin was that was lossy?

Even as far back as 2017, this was definitely understood - it's not mathematically lossless, but plays extremely close to the original, so the issue becomes irrelevant.

And here we are, 4 years later with most anti-MQA people repeating the same tired, worn accusations.

You folks had years to absorb the information, learn what MQA is and isn't.

Last edited:

jensgk

Forum Donor

mtristand

[

I can agree that MQA marketing is kind of missleading, or att least not very informative, but have tried to find where they say MQA is lossless. I can’t fins any example where they claim that.

Their old logo had LOSSLESS in it (since changed). Their old FAQ page ("Is MQA Lossless?") had the following:

Q. Is MQA Lossless?
A. Yes.

Other claims are usually very carefully-worded -- not technically false, not technically claiming to be lossless, but specifically-worded to give off that impression on a first glance until you go back and read very carefully:

The decoder will unwrap this perfectly, give you exactly what was heard in the studio. Once it's unwrapped, then we put the sample rate back to where it was, we put the bitrate back to where it was, and you get the original sound restored.

MQA comes in a lossless file from the rights owner, most often the music label, so you get exactly what was intended.

Using a unique ‘origami’ folding technique, the information is packaged efficiently to retain all the detail from the studio recording. While MQA retains 100% of the original recording, an MP3 file keeps just 10% of the data.

MQA has never made false claims about ‘losslessness’. MQA has been clear from the outset that our process operates in a wider frame of reference that includes the whole chain including A/D and D/A converters.

But a lossless file is just a digital container, a box for data, and what really matters is the content!

FLAC is a lossless file format, a container for audio data. MQA is an advanced method for coding audio contents. MQA is normally delivered (losslessly) in a FLAC container from the music label. PCM is another type of audio that can be delivered by FLAC. Suggesting FLAC is better than MQA is like saying ‘bottles are better than wine’!

Provenance: MQA files are delivered losslessly and reconstruct exactly the sound that an artist, studio or label approves.

It would be very easy for a layperson to understand something like "MQA is not lossless, but what we do is even better: we apply transformations throughout the entire chain to help recreate the experience of what is heard in the studio, by trying to statistically isolate and emphasize natural sound while cutting out the noise -- with the end result approved by the rights owner."

Like, okay, cool! That's a neat idea - and one that I would be interested in learning more about, to see how the end results differ between transformations.

But they don't ever seem to phrase it that way outside of the more in-depth discussions, and direct comparisons seem to be difficult to do. Instead we get all these really oddly-worded claims about losslessness that give off a different impression and sour the discourse.

Last edited:

Mulder

Forum Donor

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
As I said, I think their marketing is missleading, but after a careful reading I don’t think they say MQA is lossless. But it is not obvious, so it is at risk of creating an impression of ”being unclear by intention.”
Why are trillions of electrons being wasted on this question?

OP
GoldenOne

GoldenOne

Not Active
No problem. Let's start with one of them:

"Meanwhile on APS there has also been some information posted which might hint as to why Amir is so defensive of MQA. Obviously his ties to SMSL/Topping who have MQA in everything likely play a part, but also while at microsoft he was trying to push DRM schemes anyway. "

You say "obviously his ties to SMSL/Topping." What ties? What evidence do you have of that?

Second, you say "who [SMSL/Topping] who have MQA in everything." What survey of their products you performed that led you to this?

Both of these are related to the topic at hand. So let's see your response.

And note that you have not only made a serious accusation about me, but also about the above two companies. So do your best to respond properly.
Firstly, I'd just like to say that it's a damn shame that this discussion has gone like this.

I'm going to try to respond to everything at once rather than piece by piece. So this might be a long one.

1) Topping/SMSL
So firstly, my comment regarding your connection on sbaf shouldn't have been said, and I apologise. I said this simply because given how you've so often sought to weed out snake oil and defend good objective performance in the past, that your defense of MQA seemed....well confusing to say the least. I genuinely could not understand why from an objective standpoint you were making the statments you were making. And so I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that there may be a relationship between yourself and a company that utilises MQA heavily. Or MQA directly.
As mentioned previously, MQA HAS approached other forum owners to enquire about censoring or "steering" mqa related discussions in certain ways. And the heavy involvement between yourself and what was previously http://www.smsl-topping.com/blog/ suggested that you had a relationship with Aoshida (topping/smsl/aune and others' parent company) that may go some way toward explaining the need to defend MQA. Though this URL is seemingly no longer active so I can't go and get specific context.

My personal feelings were further reinforced by the subsequent reactions of others including long-time ASR members that were equally as confused and perhaps concerned about why you might be defending MQA.

But, as said, I did not make this statement based on solid evidence, and so I apologise for this and it should not have been said.

In regards to the "MQA in everything" comment. Obviously this was hyperbole and not intended to be taken literally. They do not have MQA in every single product they produce, but they incorporate MQA in many of their products. D70s, D90, M500, M400, VMV D1se, SU-9 are the ones that come to mind but I'm not sure what percentage of aoshida products overall contain it.
The point of the statement was that a company which incorporates MQA is going to be more defensive of it. Including representatives of said company, who are active on this forum, and those with friendly ties to said company.

I suppose the easiest option would be to simply ask you straight. Do you or any of your companies have any relationships or ties to Aoshida or any of its sub-brands?
If not, I sincerely apologise and should not have said what I did. And will edit the posts if you wish me to do so.

2) The Phone Call

You implied that I put 'spin' on the phone call in order to make ASR look bad.
I did not. I do not know what your moderator has told you about the content of that call but I am not 'spinning' things in the slightest when I say that the phone call was made specifically to request that I make a new thread on MQA so that the old one could be closed and criticism of you censored.
The moderator said that you were receiving extensive criticism for your pro-MQA statements and that he wanted both you and ASR to move to a more neutral position. I agreed, I think that the discussion platform and its owner remaining neutral would be a good thing.

He then said that in the new thread, any comments criticising you would be removed and that people would not be allowed to discuss your past comments.
I said that I did not agree with this. If you do not want to be criticised, you should not make public statements about something, especially a seemingly quite controversial issue like MQA. No one should be immune from criticism regardless of position.

I suggested that if criticism of yourself was the issue, then censoring it was not a good way to go, and that the best approach would simply be to be neutral and not say anything further on the matter. Let the discussion of your past posts fizzle out.
I was not going to help participate in censorship simply because the forum owner was being criticised and make a new thread in order to make it look like I'd given the thumbs up to changing the discussion. If that was going to happen then they'd need to do it alone.
I was told "I'm not censoring, I'm shutting the discussion down".

Absolutely none of the above is embellished or falsified, in fact there is more in that call which I'm sure you'd accuse me of just being despicable if I were to bring up. Hence I will not do so.
And if you believe it is false then as said I'd be happy to post the call. That is not a 'threat'. I will NOT post the call unless you/Adam explicitly ask me to do so (doing so would be illegal anyway). I am simply offering to do so because you've accused me of lying about the contents of said call. You not wanting me to post it demonstrates that I'm being truthful just as much as actually posting it does. So I don't mind either way.

3) Defense of MQA
I've said before both here and in my videos that I have absolutely no issue with people liking MQA. But what I cannot understand especially in a forum such as this is how MQA is being defended so strongly from an objective stance despite a complete lack of evidence backing up any of MQA's claims. Everything seems focused on fighting evidence that MQA ISN'T doing what it says it's doing. Not seeking to test or prove it.

If we were to have this discussion about a hugely expensive dac that didn't perform well, it'd be strange to see people in this forum defending it with arguments that the dac wasn't being used correctly and that the dac manufacturer CLEARLY states you have to use isolation feet and a specific type of power cable.

My testing showed that MQA was not lossless. The counter argument is that because my tests didn't represent natural sound they unfair to MQA.
Unfortunately this is often accompanied with insults and accusations of some conspiracy to make MQA look bad, both from yourself and others. Seeking to try to discredit my test and describing it as malicious rather than actually performing tests that show something different.
It is not. It is simply to call out misleading marketing. MQA claimed to be lossless.
It is not. We don't need my tests to know that it isn't mathematically lossless for normal tracks, we can use any track for which a native version is available to do that, as I've demonstrated previously, and as you yourself demonstrated in your video.
Furthermore you accept that MQA is not mathematically lossless, which is exactly what I was intending to demonstrate.

So we have practical demonstration that MQA is not lossless for either artificial tests like mine or natural sound in various tracks.

I do not accept the 'perceptual lossless' argument. I've made that clear. If we want to discuss 'perceptual lossless' then firstly we'd need to see a study to confirm MQA is perceptually lossless which we do not have. We STILL have to take them at their word for that. And secondly I fail to see why it's different from MP3 or the 20 bit FLAC resampling method someone posted a few pages back. Those will likely be as if not more audibly indistinguishable as MQA, and they are more space efficient, and don't cost anything to use.

If MQA were to market itself simply as a space-saving high quality compression method that'd be great and we could judge it as that. But they don't, they claim to be lossless or better than lossless and therefore must be judged on those claims instead.

MQA is creating confusion via misleading marketing. It's not about the actual audible quality of the result. It's about whether the claims are true.
If you're concerned about the understanding of what lossless is/isn't for people here, think about the average consumer and how misleading many of MQA's claims will be to them.

I don't limit this to MQA. Denafrips claims their DACs are NOS. They aren't.
They're still good DACs, they measure very well for an R2R design, and to me they sound very good. But that doesn't change the fact that they are being dishonest about the fact that it is NOS and many people will have purchased them with the promise of NOS (rightly or wrongly) being a large factor. And I will discuss this in my review.

I have no distaste for MQA specifically. I have distaste for dishonest marketing and false promises.
But I find it concerning and disappointing that you vigorously defend MQA, seeking to discredit me as "a blogger with no technical understanding of testing lossy compression schemes" and ignoring the key point I've said over and over which is that I and others do not want to know how good of a lossy encoder MQA is. We wanted to know if it was lossy or lossless. Because if it is the former, then I, and I'd imagine many others, do not want it. And are concerned about how prevalent it is becoming to the point of being the only option for a fair amount of hardware, and music. Why spend so much on licensed hardware and software just to save a few mb and HOPEFULLY not have a degredation in quality.

The price jump on the d90 vs d90 mqa is $100 iirc. For that you could buy a several tb hard drive and keep as many tracks as you can get your hands on.

If you NEED to save space, use MP3. LAME compression is extraordinarily good for the amount of space it saves. And if you can live with using an extra couple mb, then use lossless and save yourself the money that would otherwise be spent on MQA hardware/software.

EDIT: Also, I want to be clear that my posting here is in no way anything to do with getting more attention/traffic to the video.
In fact of the 60,087 views on the original video that came from an "external" source to youtube, only 169 of them are from ASR (see attached image)

Attachments

• arAsFVYgkh.png
    arAsFVYgkh.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor

While it has been know that a "full decode" of an MQA file more or less does what it says it does (excluding the magic "artist intent" marketing BS) there is much less understanding about what exactly you get playing back an "raw MQA" file or a "first unfold file" compared to the original. The problem most people have is not that MQA is not an interesting codec which time has passed by (the data saving is trivial compared the current capability of the internet) but rather MQA is trying to use this codec combined with questionable marketing to force their closed system on the market which only benefits MQA and to a lesser extent the publishers. I am at a loss to see any benefit at all to any consumer for MQA vs a traditional hi-res file, if someone knows of one please let me know. I understand the point that currently their are choices but if MQA starts gaining traction (which it appears they are) then these choices go away and in our current world where a handful of publishers and distributors control the music business it could happen very quickly and everyone would be stuck either playing "semi-crippled" files (can't wait to see @amirm analysis) or being forced to buy new hardware for no valid technical reason.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
While it has been know that a "full decode" of an MQA file more or less does what it says it does (excluding the magic "artist intent" marketing BS) there is much less understanding about what exactly you get playing back an "raw MQA" file or a "first unfold file" compared to the original. The problem most people have is not that MQA is not an interesting codec which time has passed by (the data saving is trivial compared the current capability of the internet) but rather MQA is trying to use this codec combined with questionable marketing to force their closed system on the market which only benefits MQA and to a lesser extent the publishers. I am at a loss to see any benefit at all to any consumer for MQA vs a traditional hi-res file, if someone knows of one please let me know. I understand the point that currently their are choices but if MQA starts gaining traction (which it appears they are) then these choices go away and in our current world where a handful of publishers and distributors control the music business it could happen very quickly and everyone would be stuck either playing "semi-crippled" files (can't wait to see @amirm analysis) or being forced to buy new hardware for no valid technical reason.
As a consumer of MQA content, it provides great value to me on SQ grounds alone. And not just in Tidal - Nugs.net uses it to stream live concerts.

The rest of your post is the rehash of the "MQA is talking over the world" fear mongering. Always laughable and even more so 5 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom