• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most expensive speaker??????

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I still expected something totally different

I totally get it. At those price points you'd expect manufacturing tolerances to have a higher priority. But the human hearing is way too forgiving to make that a real concern, and I suspect that the clientel for those kind of speakers are much more interested in aesthetics anyways.

Unfortunately they usually also don't give SPL numbers, so we can only speculate and till then the Genelec seems to be objective "SPL king" outside of PA stuff.

Now that you mention it. I bet a pair of these aren't cheap either:

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
Its like visiting the museum going to Axpona. The statement speakers are hard to imagine anyone owning, they're more like bragging rights for boutique builders. How boring life will be when they run out of ideas.

Ericglo

I totally get it. At those price points you'd expect manufacturing tolerances to have a higher priority. But the human hearing is way too forgiving to make that a real concern, and I suspect that the clinetel for those kind of speakers are much more interested in aesthetics anyways.

Now that you mention it. I bet a pair of these aren't cheap either:

To be fair, commercial stadium speakers are going to be expensive.;)

Danley does have some new HT speakers coming out. Check out Erin's Danley video.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m in small town Wisconsin, USA. About 2-1/2 hours drive from the Twin Cities.
What you’re saying fits. The Wisdom system he was pushing was their very lowest priced, something like $2000/speaker. If their prices get as high as you’re saying, then I don’t expect you’d get much from them for two grand. The appearance of that unit wasn’t that impressive, so I couldn’t see the point in it. Just not what I’m looking for for that room.
I get the drift that Dr. Toole respects the work done at JBL, but his personal preference is for Revel, and expects most listeners would agree. I, of course, can’t speak for him. That’s just the impression I get from my readings. I have factory installed Revel in my car, and JBL on my desk, in my home gym, and my go-to for mobile (phone + in-ear buds). My strong preference is for JBL. The Revel system in my car sounds too hot in the treble, and is under powered. The volume goes to 30, but I can’t usually stand to turn it higher than 10, where the sound starts to get too harsh. And that they call Ultima, bespoke for that specific vehicle. It’s very sweet and clean within its limits, but at highway speed it’s just not loud enough, without objectionable distortion.
I think the particular model Revel speaker my dealer’s recommending for me is available to him at a discount price, so maybe the margin’s a little better, but I don’t know that for sure. But it’s a three-way, and the JBL alternative is a two-way with a little lower rated power handling and a higher price. So I won’t complain.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tom C

Major Contributor
You might want to read this thread.

I don't remember the first year that Wisdom came to Cedia, but it has been awhile. Their top of the line system uses planar drivers. I think they were also sold to the DIY market as Bohlender Gra(?) I forget the name. Anyway, I remember friends saying you have to hear this demo. I think it was around '14 or so. Really great sound. '15 or '16 they had their top of the line system demo. I think everyone hands down considered it the best demo. IIRC the whole system was around $500k.

Usually they flip flopped demos with their top of the line and a relatively (their words) more modest cost system. Think living room and such. I was less impressed with some of these demos. One year they had one that sounded pretty good and I remember the Wisdom guy saying this was "only" like $250k. He did laugh after he said it.

I would say Wisdom has been around long enough to be legit. I would want to hear the speakers that I am buying first. I think they are out of Utah and make everything in house.

As for JBL/Revel, I am not sure why you would be steered away from JBL. Harman puts way more emphasis on JBL at Cedia than Revel. Not sure at other shows. I do know that Floyd Toole went with Revels instead of JBL for his HT setup. On the flip, Keith Yates put M2s in Rob Hahn's theater.

Where are you located?
Meant to reply to your post. Please refer to post above.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I still wonder how they sound
Wilson.Audio_.Wamm_-14.jpg

Ericglo

I’m in small town Wisconsin, USA. About 2-1/2 hours drive from the Twin Cities.
What you’re saying fits. The Wisdom system he was pushing was their very lowest priced, something like $2000/speaker. If their prices get as high as you’re saying, then I don’t expect you’d get much from them for two grand. The appearance of that unit wasn’t that impressive, so I couldn’t see the point in it. Just not what I’m looking for for that room.
I get the drift that Dr. Toole respects the work done at JBL, but his personal preference is for Revel, and expects most listeners would agree. I, of course, can’t speak for him. That’s just the impression I get from my readings. I have factory installed Revel in my car, and JBL on my desk, in my home gym, and my go-to for mobile (phone + in-ear buds). My strong preference is for JBL. The Revel system in my car sounds too hot in the treble, and is under powered. The volume goes to 30, but I can’t usually stand to turn it higher than 10, where the sound starts to get too harsh. And that they call Ultima, bespoke for that specific vehicle. It’s very sweet and clean within its limits, but at highway speed it’s just not loud enough, without objectionable distortion.
I think the particular model Revel speaker my dealer’s recommending for me is available to him at a discount price, so maybe the margin’s a little better, but I don’t know that for sure. But it’s a three-way, and the JBL alternative is a two-way with a little lower rated power handling and a higher price. So I won’t complain.

I thought Floyd tested both JBL and Revel in his home. He slightly preferred the Revels. John Schuemann had a shootout a couple of years ago. IIRC most listeners slightly preferred the Revels as well.

I should note that JBL has had some less than stellar demos at Cedia. IIRC the FR of those BG planars wasn't flat. I wouldn't be shocked that in both the Wisdom and JBL demos the difference was setup and eq.

Not sure what your budget is(was). The JBL 7 series might have been a good option for you.

And yes I wouldn't be surprised that the dealer was pushing the higher margin products.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. It's my pick for "You are stranded on a deserted island and can only have one album".
Peeps don't do "albums" no more!
But "Desert Island Album Pick" may be a great thread, if one don't exist here at ASR...
Unfortunately, it may exclude a major portion of the members, who do streaming... one song at a time!

nerdoldnerdith

jjtjiite-1200x1800.jpg

1018tidal.woof.jpg

The Tidal Akira costs $215,000 and has a midrange supposedly made of pure diamond. It may not be the most expensive speaker around, but I could see myself owning a pair if I had that much money burning a hole in my pocket. It's a very reasonable looking speaker that just oozes luxury in a way the other speakers here don't. I wouldn't want Wilson's in my home regardless of how much they cost.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I wouldn't want Wilson's in my home regardless of how much they cost.

I agree on the top tier ones. The WAMM Master Chronosonic is both hideous and has a silly name. SabrinaX and Yvette would be tolerable to me, at least when it comes to looks. I have no idea how they sound.

EDIT: Just had a look at the pricing. Jesus... I'd rather go with one of the look alike kits from Troels Gravesen and skip the BS crossover parts.

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
I thought Floyd tested both JBL and Revel in his home. He slightly preferred the Revels. John Schuemann had a shootout a couple of years ago. IIRC most listeners slightly preferred the Revels as well.

I should note that JBL has had some less than stellar demos at Cedia. IIRC the FR of those BG planars wasn't flat. I wouldn't be shocked that in both the Wisdom and JBL demos the difference was setup and eq.

Not sure what your budget is(was). The JBL 7 series might have been a good option for you.

And yes I wouldn't be surprised that the dealer was pushing the higher margin products.
Thank you for the helpful link to the AVS/Wisdom thread. I actually did go with JBL 705P for the floor. But I guess I need to get back on topic.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I still wonder how they sound
View attachment 162452
I once spent an afternoon listening to a quad system with these up front and a pair of the smaller Chronosonic XVX in the rear. (It is possible that I am mistaken and that it was four of one of them.) Quite stupendous and, in the moment, completely satisfying. OTOH, I did not leave with a desire to have them in my home. (They would not fit, of course.) The major definable criticism, for me, was the lack of the center channel. :facepalm:

jensgk

Forum Donor
What would you do, if you had an virtually unlimited amount of money and wanted the (scientifically) very best neutral, audio experience in your big mansion? Who would you trust? Would you pay for own measurements?

Top Bottom