• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most expensive speaker??????

bambadoo

Traditional wooden box.
2way with Seas woofer and tonegen tweeter. 300000USD

sogon.jpg

AN-E SOOTTO​

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DUE+short+1100.jpg

Only USD 129.000,00 :facepalm::eek:

This price joke with very coloured poor sound (had heard it on a Hifi show and even most other visitors which were at the same time in the demo room stood and usually tolerate anything got up after few minutes) had even gotten the highest points ever of a one of the biggest German magazines despite the horrible measurements: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

1635840011481.png

The full PDF review from which above screenshot it was even posted on their website in the past but seems they later decide to remove it and replace it with just the cover of that issue and the text

Tested, reviewed and ranked#1 within Reference Classloudspeakers
The prestigious German hifi magazine AUDIO lists the Ampeggio Due at the top of a long list of super-speakers with a score of 109 points.

Source: https://voxativ.berlin/ampeggio-due

Thank god that objective audio information sources like ASR nowadays become increasingly popular which reveal the degeneration of the audiophool high end market and press...

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank god that objective audio information sources like ASR nowadays become increasingly popular which reveal the degeneration of the audiophool high end market and press...
I’ve heard these voxativ speakers (lower range) at a dutch audio show and they are indeed coloured with strange high frequencies. Just as you would expect from a full range driver.

All voxativ models are crazy expensive - imagine what their margin is with a simple box and a full range driver. A small tower costs 8.000 euros (pair): https://voxativ.berlin/hagen-tower

The subwoofers are also very expensive at 5.000 (30x30x33 cm small box) or 12.500 euros (38x46x30cm).

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
No I haven’t. This is a thread is about the most expensive speakers. Having stringent quality control, rejecting drivers that are not within defined tolerances, would increase the cost. With accurate testing equipment, it is in no way impossible or even difficult.

It's not even difficult, you say? So out of a more or less gaussian spread in 4 different variables, each variable independent, all such drivers inside manufacturer's specs, how many would you think you need to test to get, oh, say, 256 drivers that are with 1/20th of the sigma of the gaussian in all parameters?

That's what you're asking. Before you fly off the handle, figure out how many drivers you have to test. You may find the answer disturbing.
WFS is an array technique. This puts additional strain on the requirements. Even if we assume that we digitally correct EVERY DRIVER of the 256, and we get them all in spec that way, you're going to find you've got a lot of drivers you won't be using. (Note, I didn't say "bad", because they aren't bad, they just aren't "close enough".)

caught gesture

Forum Donor
It's not even difficult, you say? So out of a more or less gaussian spread in 4 different variables, each variable independent, all such drivers inside manufacturer's specs, how many would you think you need to test to get, oh, say, 256 drivers that are with 1/20th of the sigma of the gaussian in all parameters?

That's what you're asking. Before you fly off the handle, figure out how many drivers you have to test. You may find the answer disturbing.
WFS is an array technique. This puts additional strain on the requirements. Even if we assume that we digitally correct EVERY DRIVER of the 256, and we get them all in spec that way, you're going to find you've got a lot of drivers you won't be using. (Note, I didn't say "bad", because they aren't bad, they just aren't "close enough".)
Fly off the handle? Why? No, it isn’t difficult. Isn’t testing done by machine and not humans? Yes, it is expensive (although maybe not if the rejected drivers are perfectly usable elsewhere) and probably time consuming.

Are you saying wave field synthesis is impossible to implement?

Last edited:

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Fly off the handle? Why? No, it isn’t difficult. Isn’t testing done by machine and not humans? Yes, it is expensive (although maybe not if the rejected drivers are perfectly usable elsewhere) and probably time consuming.

Are you saying wave field synthesis is impossible to implement?

Aaand here we go, another "let's frame the opponent". Yeah, it's possible It's just a few orders of magnitude more difficult than you seem to gather. For what it's worth, it's not so hard to implement poorly. That only takes money. Getting the same accuracy that one can get with 5 or 7 or 9 or 11 or whatever speakers made what I will call "unobtinium" parts (i.e. it only takes money) is going to be extraordinarily, excruciatingly difficult.

For "big speakers" you can have a "big box". To get wavefield synthesis right, you need to have driver spacing less than a half-wavelength. Yeah, you figure that one out at 30khz. (you want to shoot high to avoid various array-like effects)

I've done it on paper. I'm not sure it's a realistic project, and it would require making tweeters that effectively have continuous diaphragms driven by a set of motors of some sort. Small ones. Small, powerful ones.

Andreas007

View attachment 162458
View attachment 162459

The Tidal Akira costs $215,000 and has a midrange supposedly made of pure diamond. It may not be the most expensive speaker around, but I could see myself owning a pair if I had that much money burning a hole in my pocket. It's a very reasonable looking speaker that just oozes luxury in a way the other speakers here don't. I wouldn't want Wilson's in my home regardless of how much they cost.
Yes! I stood next to a bigger one at High End. I looked at the black, to the utmost perfection polished sidewall and saw my own reflection in it.
It was a Kubrik 2001 moment! :eek: Lost in space within the black darkness of a perfect monolith. Sound was also great.

Andreas007

Everyone has to watch this video, $1 million MBL speakers are made with toothpicks and a toaster oven
View attachment 162414View attachment 162415View attachment 162416
Toothpick is ok.
Sometimes a simple tool is the best.

However, the oven is a joke! Adhesive curing is an important process to get the desired material properties in the end. There is no excuse in not using an laboratory grade oven with adequate control of temperature profile over time.

Anyway, seems that 10k $ EQ is not important when building 1 Million $ speakers, even if it is the core process which holds the sound emitting elements in place. :facepalm:

Renato

ghgh.jpg

Avalon Tesseract: USD 325.000,00

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I understand a bit clearer your “fly off the handle“ comment now. It is you projecting. I’ll just stick you on the ignore list. I like to learn, but not from bores.
So, nothing to offer on the technical front, just the tone police?

In actual science we don't try to frame people with false positions, and we do expect a robust dialog. You?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Toothpick is ok.
Sometimes a simple tool is the best.

However, the oven is a joke! Adhesive curing is an important process to get the desired material properties in the end. There is no excuse in not using an laboratory grade oven with adequate control of temperature profile over time.

Anyway, seems that 10k $ EQ is not important when building 1 Million $ speakers, even if it is the core process which holds the sound emitting elements in place. :facepalm:
Another hi tech tool
Screenshot_20211102-160203.jpg

caught gesture

Forum Donor
You might try to read and understand what he said

"Yeah, it's possible It's just a few orders of magnitude more difficult than you seem to gather."
I do understand what he wrote. He says it is difficult. I just wonder why the “fly off the handle” comment. I’m just curious as to why the need to introduce that emotional element. It’s just a discussion on a forum. There is plenty in the world for me to get upset about: pollution, global warming, third world debt, etc. Not a thread about expensive speakers!

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I do understand what he wrote. He says it is difficult. I just wonder why the “fly off the handle” comment. I’m just curious as to why the need to introduce that emotional element. It’s just a discussion on a forum. There is plenty in the world for me to get upset about: pollution, global warming, third world debt, etc. Not a thread about expensive speakers!

Given your aggressive posting from ground zero, well, as ye say, so shall ye be said unto.
It was you setting the tone. https://holoplot.com/technology/ are seemingly able to get round your limitations.

Obviously you didn't understand what I actually said. What's more, of course, is that there is much more to WFS than being able to make a beam. And putting an interrupted set of speakers around the room isn't WFS either. It's more like what I said before, a bunch of big speakers that satisfy the perceptual requirements.

Of course, from tone policing, you went straight to professional insult. That's pretty typical of audio, too.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
1. The marketing tell things are never verified. On this forum and everywhere in the world, no one measures two models to see the disparity.

2. You charge the manufacturer to follow short tolerances (ts values) . If he does not respect them, return to sender. Obviously it has a cost but it is a market where competition is strong. Throughout the industry, we operate like that. I don't see why carpenters would do it differently.

IIf the carpenter has no bargaining power, he resorts to marketing. Wilson used basic Focal drivers ...

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Given your aggressive posting from ground zero, well, as ye say, so shall ye be said unto.

Obviously you didn't understand what I actually said. What's more, of course, is that there is much more to WFS than being able to make a beam. And putting an interrupted set of speakers around the room isn't WFS either. It's more like what I said before, a bunch of big speakers that satisfy the perceptual requirements.

Of course, from tone policing, you went straight to professional insult. That's pretty typical of
Boy, you are sensitive! Aggressive posting? Asking a question about a statement! Have something to laugh about (and a nice day!).

Top Bottom