• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had thought you were talking about when “Denin” was mentioned! Watching the video, they said that running changes in the HTP-1 would be introduced to fix bugs and add features, but that an HTP-2 was not on the horizon.

Yes. The smaller manufactures view their systems as upgradable platforms.
This can be done but it is expensive. HDMI 2.1 is 8K and as pointed out in the video there is virtually no 8K source material.
There are HDMI 2.1 features worth having beyond 8K, instant source switching, eArc, and the gamer stuff looks cool.

Current HDMI boards can require 2 to 4 times the power, so it is likely the power supply will need to be upgraded.
Emotiva has chosen to implement a new processor family with an option to factory upgrade. I suspect that all that will remain is the case. :)
JBL has also decided to implement new models.
New models address part availability issues, fundamental design flaws, and basically improve the design from lessons learned.

The reality is that a future proof processor is not possible because who knows what the future holds.
I had the Integra "Nostradamus" of processors that did not receive a single update.

The supply chain not only introduces delays and part manufactures often streamline their offerings.
Parts become unavailable and boards rework becomes necessary.

I believe the HTP-1 is a MDS design, as was the Emotiva XMC-1, so the implementation has more established roots to the platform is not really 1.0.
Monoprice may continue to make an HTP-1 that includes a new power supply, new HDMI board.
Eventually, it may include new DACs and DSPs. At some point, there customers require qualifiers to describe the version.
Denin (kidding) has different 3700H AVRs, informed buyers might want the AKM version.

I think at some point, it simply makes sense to up the model number.
Manufacturers embrace this because they can market the new version.

- Rich

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It does not. I have the htp-1 and that is how normal Dirac works, but that doesn’t mean beta testers were doing it that way. Dirac also can work solely with a computer. I know joe n tell was using a computer and a 8 channel dac that Dirac sent him. He said that on the latest daily hifi podcast.

Since storm is the only hardware officially supporting it, I’m doubtful jbl has implemented the necessary stuff to get it to work properly on the 55. It would take jbl to get it to work right. I don’t think Dirac would have access to jbl’s dsp chips to program custom stuff to get it to work, nor the resources.
That user on avs forums did clear up that they did indeed load the filters into the JBL processor much like normal dirac or DLBC. The computer software was different that they used, but the filter loading was apparently the same. Nice to know.

TimoJ

That user on avs forums did clear up that they did indeed load the filters into the JBL processor much like normal dirac or DLBC. The computer software was different that they used, but the filter loading was apparently the same. Nice to know.
I still suspect that the avs beta tester is confused about how the test system works and hasn't actually listened with ART enabled.

Jdunk54nl

I still suspect that the avs beta tester is confused about how the test system works and hasn't actually listened with ART enabled.
Possible, but I will go with positive intent and say they did. I am sure Dirac guided them in how to do it though, or at least I hope they made sure each beta tester was able to use it properly.

JRiggs

Yes. The smaller manufactures view their systems as upgradable platforms.
This can be done but it is expensive. HDMI 2.1 is 8K and as pointed out in the video there is virtually no 8K source material.
There are HDMI 2.1 features worth having beyond 8K, instant source switching, eArc, and the gamer stuff looks cool.

Current HDMI boards can require 2 to 4 times the power, so it is likely the power supply will need to be upgraded.
Emotiva has chosen to implement a new processor family with an option to factory upgrade. I suspect that all that will remain is the case. :)
New models address part availability issues, fundamental design flaws, and basically improve the design from lessons learned.

The reality is that a future proof processor is not possible because who knows what the future holds.
I had the Integra "Nostradamus" of processors that did not receive a single update.

The supply chain not only introduces delays and part manufactures often streamline their offerings.
Parts become unavailable and boards rework becomes necessary.

I believe the HTP-1 is a MDS design, as was the Emotiva XMC-1, so the implementation has more established roots to the platform is not really 1.0.
Monoprice may continue to make an HTP-1 that includes a new power supply, new HDMI board.
Eventually, it may include new DACs and DSPs. At some point, there customers require qualifiers to describe the version.
Denin (kidding) has different 3700H AVRs, informed buyers might want the AKM version.

I think at some point, it simply makes sense to up the model number.
Manufacturers embrace this because they can market the new version.

- Rich
Before the launch of the JBL SPD-58 (HDMI 2.1) version, other design flaws were addressed during the life of the 55 version (Dante, XLR board).

Also, JBL offers HDMI 2.1 upgrades to all SDP-55 units for around $600 shipping included. By the time the 58 was introduced, the only difference in hardware is the HDMI board.

Zooqu1ko

JBL and others could already have done much of the work to integrate DL ART but they can't submit it to Dirac for certification yet. If I remember the announcement that someone posted over at AVS it implied that they could submit for certification in October which means they need to have done their integration work and testing before that.

Is the guy you're referring to Joe N Tell? Here he's saying he was using an 8 channel interface and a computer for the beta. Maybe, with a JBL SDP-55, one can have the SDP decode the audio, send it to a computer via Dante, process the audio there and send it back via Dante to the DACs in the SDP.

In a different Video, Lars Mette says that ART requires significant changes to the API that the devices support - no surprise there, since, instead of simple base management with just one crossover (and the result feeding to just one destination channel), with all speakers potentially need to cross feed to all other speaker, and instead of a simple sum, those cross-fed signals need to be corrected individually before summation.

JRiggs

Is the guy you're referring to Joe N Tell? Here he's saying he was using an 8 channel interface and a computer for the beta. Maybe, with a JBL SDP-55, one can have the SDP decode the audio, send it to a computer via Dante, process the audio there and send it back via Dante to the DACs in the SDP.

In a different Video, Lars Mette says that ART requires significant changes to the API that the devices support - no surprise there, since, instead of simple base management with just one crossover (and the result feeding to just one destination channel), with all speakers potentially need to cross feed to all other speaker, and instead of a simple sum, those cross-fed signals need to be corrected individually before summation.
No. He is referring to kaelaria. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/th...before-posting.3137722/page-733#post-62252177

Zooqu1ko

Possible, but I will go with positive intent and say they did. I am sure Dirac guided them in how to do it though, or at least I hope they made sure each beta tester was able to use it properly.
Turns out that they didn't. They just played back files from their computer, processed them in the Dirac Live Processor VST plugin and just used the JBL as an HDMI DAC (around page 738 of the "Fantastic Dirac Live Thread on avsforum).

Jdunk54nl

Turns out that they didn't. They just played back files from their computer, processed them in the Dirac Live Processor VST plugin and just used the JBL as an HDMI DAC (around page 738 of the "Fantastic Dirac Live Thread on avsforum).

Yup, the user was definitely confused on how it all works. My apologies for spreading wrong info.

apgood

I was referring to the official announcement from instagram someone posted (see below) not what the beta testers were doing.

Im just saying because StormAudio has exclusive use of it until October doesn't prevent other manufacturers from doing their development now and then submitting it for certification "after summer" and release soon after the exclusivity is ended in October. In fact that is probably what they would need to do if they intend to launch product late this year / early next.

1675079040409.png

hmt

As stated before. I dont think that the exclusivity is making any differneces. I would be really suprised if there was any device running ART besides storm in Q4 2023 (and imo Q1 2024).

Descartes

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
No upgrades!
That’s disappointing :(
What would you be wishing for ?

I'd be interested to find out what DAC chip it's using now.

Krobar

What would you be wishing for ?

I'd be interested to find out what DAC chip it's using now.

I think it is the same DACs (According to their product manager). Wonder if we will see HDMI 2.1, DTS:X Pro or Dirac ART as promised. Anthem and Arcam are not doing that well either on upgrades but at least they have delivered 1/3.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This is a very interesting development. Question to those who know:
1) Does it have Dirac DLBC?
2) Does it a variable loudness control similar to Denon/Marantz's "Dynamic EQ)?

If they solve its reliability issues, that could well be the AVP to beat.
I am officially interested but will wait.

Peace.

Jdunk54nl

DLBC is an upgrade option at $499 IIRC.

It has a few different things, check out this custom GUI a member at avs built. You can see the options. May need to click on the demo button

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[/QUOTE]
Hi

This is a very interesting development. Question to those who know:
1) Does it have Dirac DLBC?
2) Does it a variable loudness control similar to Denon/Marantz's "Dynamic EQ)?

If they solve its reliability issues, that could well be the AVP to beat. .

1) optional
2) better IMO
3) it seems stable now

Top Bottom