• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With a lot of audio / video gear being essentially appliances of a mature technology base, dealers don't make a lot of sense.
Yet they would be needed. The gears are highly performing and inexpensive these days.. Setting them up is 'nuther cookie. It takes a lot of time to set-up a system. Some dismiss it claiming that it wook them a few hours to have their system properly set-up, not realizing the years of toil and experience...
A good dealer, who knows how to setup a system would be the solution for many audiophiles/music and cinema lover. Setting up system is not as easy as people think. Speaking for myself it took me several months (close to 2 years!) to get to a point where my system sounds correct. (My headphones are my reference for tonality and extension) and I have been an audiophile for more than 50 years...

Peace.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Yet they would be needed. The gears are highly performing and inexpensive these days.. Setting them up is 'nuther cookie. It takes a lot of time to set-up a system. Some dismiss it claiming that it wook them a few hours to have their system properly set-up, not realizing the years of toil and experience...
A good dealer, who knows how to setup a system would be the solution for many audiophiles/music and cinema lover. Setting up system is not as easy as people think. Speaking for myself it took me several months (close to 2 years!) to get to a point where my system sounds correct. (My headphones are my reference for tonality and extension) and I have been an audiophile for more than 50 years...

Peace.
That's what custom installers are for.

Somebody wouldn't need a dealer though to set up their Monoprice HTP-1 processor for instance. Aside from online videos there are people a phone call away to help with the setup. Same way with a Marantz or many other popular receivers/processors. A growing number of manufacturers agree and are selling their products over the internet only.

Last edited:

Flak

Industry Insider

Peace.

Yes, it might be useful to know that, as far as the Dirac Live calibration is concerned, it's possible to get (paid) assistance remotely:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any notable hiss on this? Ideally someone who notices and is bothered by the hiss on the Kali IN-8 V1 series.

Not sure if firmware updates have improved any of the issues with this or owners have any drawbacks to be aware of besides egregious wait times for new units and exchanges under warranty.

Bartl007

Is there any notable hiss on this? Ideally someone who notices and is bothered by the hiss on the Kali IN-8 V1 series.

Not sure if firmware updates have improved any of the issues with this or owners have any drawbacks to be aware of besides egregious wait times for new units and exchanges under warranty.
Still loving my htp-1.

There is no detectible hiss that can't be remediated with proper gain staging. The beauty of the htp-1 is that the output voltage is adjustable, so I have my output voltage set to 3.8V and then (using crown DCI/N amplifiers) attenuate the input voltage at the amp input by ~6dB to reduce any detectible hiss from the compression driver of my LCR (JBL M2). In my sound isolated room (~NC20) I detect no tweeter hiss at my listening position 4 meters away and have to be about 1 meter or closer to hear any hiss.

Flak

Industry Insider

multisport4me

HTP-1 "Gamer Edition" Raise the price accordingly for the new power supply and HDMI 2.1 boards that will go in the HTP-1 GE and get back to adding features to the HTP-1 Home Theater Edition that people can use.

mongobot

Forum Donor
Assuming that the HTP-1 was intended as a flagship model, I was hoping that at some point a more stripped down version would be introduced (fewer channels, etc) at a lower price point.
With this current info, that seems rather unlikely. Too bad for me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

multisport4me

Will it have Dirac ART?
Will the HTP-1 ever have Dirac ART?

Hobie strongly implies the HTP-1 can run ART so we should see it some day. However, I believe Dirac said that only Storm will have it in 2023 so we will likely be waiting in years - not months - before we see it on the HTP-1. We're still hoping for DTSX Pro 2 years later and Hobie confirmed my suspicions all along that they would not release DTSX Pro until they had new inventory to sell. So fingers crossed we'll at least see DTSX Pro this year. He claims they have build kits in stock to start another run of HTP-1s so that seems encouraging to me.

I do agree with Hobie on HDMI 2.1 - its pointless unless you're a gamer and must have HDMI 2.1 To me, the HTP-1 is a Home Theater Processor first and foremost so I don't care that much about HDMI 2.1. Especially if it were to drive the price of the HTP-1 up a grand as he said in the video.

On a personal note, I do wish Hobie well in his battle with cancer. Life gets real, real fast when someone gets cancer so I hope that he is in remission and remains healthy. There is nothing fun about chemo and I wouldn't want to deal with our lot of HT loons either if I were him.

theBruce

I do agree with Hobie on HDMI 2.1 - its pointless unless you're a gamer and must have HDMI 2.1 To me, the HTP-1 is a Home Theater Processor first and foremost so I don't care that much about HDMI 2.1. Especially if it were to drive the price of the HTP-1 up a grand as he said in the video.
Well I do have a PS5 and XBOX X, so it is necessary for me.

But I have noticed that the higher bandwidth with 2.1 is better with handshake issues.

I have an outdoor theater with a Optoma projector, I upgraded to a integra 5.4 with 2.1, used to have handshake issues all the time with the older Denon that was out there, since switching, not a one.

But if companies do not want to put out the products that a lot need and want, also be future proof for a few years, then I do not need to took at them, I definitely do not want their older stuff they are still trying to push on us.

So far, the only choice for me is the Anthem AVM70, do not need to spend more then that, one I do not need 92 channels, my system is 5.1.2, second any extra audio clarity I might get from the more expensive units I doubt I will notice since I am 4 years from 60, I assume I have lost the capacity to hear certain frequencies, all part of age.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
HTP-1 "Gamer Edition" Raise the price accordingly for the new power supply and HDMI 2.1 boards that will go in the HTP-1 GE and get back to adding features to the HTP-1 Home Theater Edition that people can use.
Add RGB, that is a crucial feature.

And perhaps distribute in Europe.

Top Bottom