• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Misco Yamaha NS 10M Woofer Replacement Comparison Using Klippel ……..

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dzello

Someone must have a NS-10M to send to Amir...

You want to hurt his ears? :D

I've never understood why this speaker was so popular with such a bad frequency response. This dip has no place is a monitoring speaker.

1592761001037.png

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never understood why this speaker was so popular with such a bad frequency response.

That’s where the formal spin assessment may give us insights. Maybe there is some perfect storm where there is a fortuitous position where a well dampened studio room will sound good. There was a paper that claimed that the bass reinforcement from the mixing table also played a role in the overall sound.

Fact is, this was used by a lot of mixers so it would be interesting to understand it from the circle of confusion standpoint.

D

Deleted member 16502

I like the irony of an American company going out of their way with state of the art engineering to recreate an old speaker from the formerly proclaimed evil cheap Asian competition.

dzello

I like the irony of an American company going out of their way with state of the art engineering to recreate an old speaker from the formerly proclaimed evil cheap Asian competition.

If there's a market for it... but I recommend these people to buy some Genelec instead.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fact is, this was used by a lot of mixers so it would be interesting to understand it from the circle of confusion standpoint.

To be fair, it was never a monitor to mix by. I have never seen only NS-10s in a room. There are always bigger and better units that get 90% of ear time. The NS-10 was for quick-and-dirty checks of how a passage would sound with alleged "everyday" speakers. As such, it does its job. Although it's a little lazy not to have switched it out over the years - presumably "everyday" has changed with the passage of time.

Top Bottom