• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MX100 A/V Processor Review (by ErinsAudioCorner)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the specs, and now measurements too, it almost seem like the MX100 is a clone (a much better version) of a Denon AVR, or maybe a Marantz AV8805A.:p

When McIntosh was part of the D&M group, that was pretty clear. Later, I think I have seen YouTube interviews which note that the front end and video technologies are from D&M but that the analog sections are in-house McIntosh designs.

McIntosh products range from audiophile jewelry (MHA100) to actually measures great (MC462).

If you think about *when* the MX100 was released (almost 3 years ago), the performance listed is very impressive!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When McIntosh was part of the D&M group, that was pretty clear. Later, I think I have seen YouTube interviews which note that the front end and video technologies are from D&M but that the analog sections are in-house McIntosh designs.

McIntosh products range from audiophile jewelry (MHA100) to actually measures great (MC462).

If you think about *when* the MX100 was released (almost 3 years ago), the performance listed is very impressive!

Thanks, I didn't know they were in that group once.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hummm, Did anyone notice the "Factory Reconditioned" sticker on the DUT?
DSC03817.JPG

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I didn't know they were in that group once.
In 2003, Clarion sold McIntosh to D&M.
In 2012, D&M sold McIntosh to Fine Sounds SpA (private equity). That lineage continues today, but it was acquired by a second private equity group in the USA. Audio Research used to be part of McIntosh too.

MC 2301
MC 2102
MC 1.2 kW
MC 452

were all D&M generation McIntosh.

There was a period where Denon was making the best DVD and 1080P Blu-Ray players on the market.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
DSC03817.JPG
That could be from the Control 4 implementation. I think it was not originally released with it.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now we need someone to send Amir the mx123 or better yet the 180.
Not that I'd be in the market, I'd need to sell a kidney, but I'd be interested to see if it performs better than the Trinnov Altitude for example.

Joffy1780

Also, if I did own of those, I'd be unlikely to let it leave my home.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
DSC03817.JPG
I think he borrowed it from McIntosh, so the odds are good they just had it laying around.

chelgrian

Erin is back baby!

ErinsAudioCorner has posted his first electronics review using the Audio Precision APx555B.
:D

DSC03814.JPG

Dashboard%204dB.png

The rest of the graphs are on his site.

He will be publishing a video about this review, in the future.

Discuss!

Oh cool, this is my 3000's post. :cool:
I know McIntosh have a brand image to protect but the price of this model, least in the UK, is ~£7k unless they are buying for the aesthetic then the kind of buyer who would be in this segment of the market would probably go up to a Storm Audio Core 16 instead.

I could see myself buying it at say ~£5K but not at £7K.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Am I the only person who can't get images to load on Erin's no matter what device I use? What am I doing wrong?

ChrisHeinonen

In 2003, Clarion sold McIntosh to D&M.
In 2012, D&M sold McIntosh to Fine Sounds SpA (private equity). That lineage continues today, but it was acquired by a second private equity group in the USA. Audio Research used to be part of McIntosh too.

MC 2301
MC 2102
MC 1.2 kW
MC 452

were all D&M generation McIntosh.

There was a period where Denon was making the best DVD and 1080P Blu-Ray players on the market.
Well during the time when D&M owned McIntosh, they did put out the worst performing Blu-ray player I think I ever tested, though the audio was great. https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/video-player/blu-ray/mcintosh-mvp881-universal-blu-ray-player/

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know if Erin has more electronics reviews coming?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Anyone know if Erin has more electronics reviews coming?
On May 10, Erin posted his thoughts on AP.

I won’t quote the whole thing (you have to be a member of Patreon to see) but the most important part was:

So, after months of internal debate, I have decided not to spend my money on the Audio Precision.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On May 10, Erin posted his thoughts on AP.

It’s a lot of money and if the YT views/monetization doesn’t pay off, it isn’t worth it.

I think you can get decent results with a E1DA Cosmos ADC or RME ADi 2/4 Pro from the standpoint of a “reviewer” as opposed to an engineering team.

Top Bottom