• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-UNF Ultra-Nearfield Studio Monitor Review (by ErinsAudioCorner)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin has posted another review for us to look at.

This is the Kali Audio IN-UNF, which retail for US$600/pair.

DSC03864.JPG

Spinorama:
2023-05-19 13_29_29-Two Reviews in One! Kali IN-UNF Ultra Nearfield Monitor Review with Joe N ...png

Erin's video review:

Erin's written review:

Discuss!

SivKiv

Erin has posted another review for us to look at.

This is the Kali Audio IN-UNF, which retail for US$600/pair.

DSC03864.JPG

Spinorama:
View attachment 286634

Erin's video review:

Erin's written review:

Discuss!
Spin doesn't look great, but seems to be more of a limitation of the Klippel system rather than the speakers themselves. Distortion looks good though. If it's anything like the rest of the speakers in the Independence line up however, it would be a fantastic speaker for what it is, just wonder if a sub can be paired with these.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My main problem with these is the form factor. I would much rather use IN5 speakers left and right of the monitor than having that woofer box lay flat on the desk.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m not sure what limitation of Klippel NFS you’re referring to.
The bass unit is built to be put on a desk and is EQed for the expected interaction of the soundwaves bouncing off a desk. The nearfield scanner measures speakers assuming tthey are playing in freefield (like on a speaker stand or a floor stander on the floor). OIn-wall and in-ceiling speakers also are hard to measure on the nearfield scanner because those speakers expect boundary interaction.

b407driver

[first post, I know; very, VERY long time lurker here, just never had a need to post until now]

In case anyone is curious about these speakers, I picked up the IN-UNF + WS-6.2 'bundle', and finally got everything hooked up two days ago. Placement is in desktop environment, in a corner behind two 27" displays, thus have to have the bass unit vertical for space considerations. Using the recommended dip switch settings the mid-bass was simply overwhelming, and no amount of futzing with the low/mid/high dip switches (i.e. 4/5/6) would tame it. I actually ended up changing the vertical setting to horizontal to get it into the ballpark, and now I've been able to get a pretty decent balanced sound out of the system.

One of the main reasons I mention this is because a couple of reviewers have noted a bump in the mid-bass, though I don't recall how their bass unit was set up (vertical vs. horizontal). As an aside, I feel the sub is necessary to get critically good sound (tried it without first), and at the same time the WS-6.2 is a bit overkill for the desktop side of the system (seems to be a very good sub for the size, bassheads would like it). But it works, as you would imagine.

This is my first pair of 'studio monitors (I get that these are unusual), but now that I've got the sound dialed in I am quite satisfied with them, though do need to spend some time listening to a bunch of music I know well.

Cheers...

mellowflight

[first post, I know; very, VERY long time lurker here, just never had a need to post until now]

In case anyone is curious about these speakers, I picked up the IN-UNF + WS-6.2 'bundle', and finally got everything hooked up two days ago. Placement is in desktop environment, in a corner behind two 27" displays, thus have to have the bass unit vertical for space considerations. Using the recommended dip switch settings the mid-bass was simply overwhelming, and no amount of futzing with the low/mid/high dip switches (i.e. 4/5/6) would tame it. I actually ended up changing the vertical setting to horizontal to get it into the ballpark, and now I've been able to get a pretty decent balanced sound out of the system.

One of the main reasons I mention this is because a couple of reviewers have noted a bump in the mid-bass, though I don't recall how their bass unit was set up (vertical vs. horizontal). As an aside, I feel the sub is necessary to get critically good sound (tried it without first), and at the same time the WS-6.2 is a bit overkill for the desktop side of the system (seems to be a very good sub for the size, bassheads would like it). But it works, as you would imagine.

This is my first pair of 'studio monitors (I get that these are unusual), but now that I've got the sound dialed in I am quite satisfied with them, though do need to spend some time listening to a bunch of music I know well.

Cheers...
Hey!

I’m looking at purchasing the IN-UNF’s and I’m wondering how you’ve been enjoying them over the past few months?

b407driver

Hey!

I’m looking at purchasing the IN-UNF’s and I’m wondering how you’ve been enjoying them over the past few months?
LOVE them. Again, my first real near-field office setup, but wow, the imaging, the bass with the WS-6.2... amazing once dialed. Just got Martin Logan 60XTi for the home theater, and the leap from Polk LSiM is sort of similar. Finally have two pretty good setups, and with the MLs (and the Kali setup!), I now get the two-channel (2.1 for me) music thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom