• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS60 wireless review by ErinsAudioCorner

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Have you measured the LS60s without the subs? It would be interesting to see whether the big dip is wholly due to the room response or there are phasing issues between the speakers and the subs.
Here are the L+R with and without the subs and with the repositioned subs. ***Also need to note some user error involved*** I evidently accidentally flipped a toggle on one of the subs previously. These HSU have an operating mode switch which for EQ1 is for deepest flat bass response. EQ2 which one sub had toggled is for use as a mid-bass module or with minimal EQ. That was creating a mess. Room mode nulls come out clearly.

*With the repositioning of the subs I had to back off the KEF app sub gain to -8.0dB for this measurement.

IMG_1650.jpeg

Interestly there is hardly a difference to speak of without the subs using the Standard or Extra Bass Extension in the KEF app. What’s up with that? Placebo switch?

***Edit apparently when you switch EQ Modes in the KEF app ie going from using subs to LS60’s alone the signal still passes to the subs but unprocessed cross over settings so subs have to be shut off fyi

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that the null at ~48hz seems to have gotten worse. I would definitely try moving the subs again! Also a little concerning with that big dip between 3-7khz. Are there lots of curtains or rugs in the room maybe? Or maybe something to do with the position of the mains and the mic...? I wonder if that would still show up with a pink noise MMM measurement.

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Interesting that the null at ~48hz seems to have gotten worse. I would definitely try moving the subs again! Also a little concerning with that big dip between 3-7khz. Are there lots of curtains or rugs in the room maybe? Or maybe something to do with the position of the mains and the mic...? I wonder if that would still show up with a pink noise MMM measurement.
It has me scratching my head too. The room hasn’t changed. No new furniture or anything moved around. No changes to room treatments. Subs turned is all. Mic position is within a cm or two.
Baffling…

IMG_2569.jpeg

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing obvious in the pic... except that you do have clouds and a rug, so perhaps those are pulling too much HF out? But then you'd expect more falloff >7khz, so I don't think that's it. If you want to get to the bottom of it, maybe try measuring them one at a time L/R instead of L+R. Stereo measurements can get messed up from comb filtering and such.

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Erin has responded to me and said this about @Nuyes compression test:
To clarify, the compression plot was indeed influenced by Erin. However, I did not perform the same compression tests as Erin, nor did I conduct any separate tests.

I have already been including the Increase level multitone test in my reviews from before. The MTON module, which carries out this measurement, automatically includes a compression component, so I do not perform any separate measurements for compression.

Therefore, while I began sharing the plots thanks to him, I did not use the same measurement method. (Erin uses sine sweeps, while I use multitone.)

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Nothing obvious in the pic... except that you do have clouds and a rug, so perhaps those are pulling too much HF out? But then you'd expect more falloff >7khz, so I don't think that's it. If you want to get to the bottom of it, maybe try measuring them one at a time L/R instead of L+R. Stereo measurements can get messed up from comb filtering and such.
The clouds and rug were there during the previous measurements. I’ll keep plugging away. Don’t want to keep my room measurements at the forefront of this thread. So no more discussion should continue. Maybe I’ll start a thread on for more specific help. Thanks for your following along and your thoughts.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I may have found a solution for the slow wifi speed causing drop outs on my Kef LS60, by disabling the wifi 2.4G setting / band on my router.

Will check the next days, but everything seems better now. The LS60 connected to the 2.4G wifi of my router, which also sends 5G wifi. By disabling it, the LS60 now selects the much faster 5G connection. You can’t select it in the kef app yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1077.jpeg
    IMG_1077.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 44

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For whatever reason the LS60's did not wow Erin as much as some other speakers like the small Ascend, Linton, and an Active JBL. Then again, Erin is just a You Tuber with the main difference is he owns a Klippel. Some have compared LS50's with a sub to the LS60's. Both have output limits which make them unsuitable for large rooms.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then again, Erin is just a You Tuber with the main difference is he owns a Klippel.
In my opinion that is undeservedly harsh and unfair, his loudspeaker experience and reviews were some of the best even before he got the NFS and got active in YouTube and still remain such.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion that is undeservedly harsh and unfair, his loudspeaker experience and reviews were some of the best even before he got the NFS and got active in YouTube and still remain such.
I would say you are overreacting.

MAB

Major Contributor
I would say you are overreacting.
No, actually hard to take your comment as anything but harsh. Overactions read much differently.
just a You Tuber with the main difference is he owns a Klippel
Some sort of passive-aggressive put down, no two ways about it.
I know, you and him are different. But he provides one of the few data driven reviews available, so also 100% disagree with your characterization. And he tests speakers I would actually like to own.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, actually hard to take your comment as anything but harsh. Overactions read much differently.

Some sort of passive-aggressive put down, no two ways about it.
I know, you and him are different. But he provides one of the few data driven reviews available, so also 100% disagree with your characterization. And he tests speakers I would actually like to own.
I consider your post to be overly aggressive and an act of censorship. At the level of this forum Erin is a public personality and criticizing him is fair game. I am a private person and criticizing me is not fair game.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Let’s all take a step back and a few minutes to remember that we are actual blood and flesh people with feelings and emotions behind these avatars. Criticism of a person’s work that they publicly publish is fair game. People criticize Amir constantly. Criticism of a member can cross the line into issuing a personal insult. So please use more restraint and show more respect for our members. Erin has chosen to be a public Reviewer and as such he opens the door to criticism. Let’s try to make it as constructive as possible please.

Thank you for your understanding and support. ;)

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Let’s all take a step back and a few minutes to remember that we are actual blood and flesh people with feelings and emotions behind these avatars. Criticism of a person’s work that they publicly publish is fair game. People criticize Amir constantly. Criticism of a member can cross the line into issuing a personal insult. So please use more restraint and show more respect for our members. Erin has chosen to be a public Reviewer and as such he opens the door to criticism. Let’s try to make it as constructive as possible please.

Thank you for your understanding and support. ;)
I agree 100%. Except that I spend so much time thinking about speakers that I can only assume some of my blood and flesh has mutated into aluminum, carbon fiber, neodymium and beryllium...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
People criticize Amir constantly.
I don't have a problem with criticism even against even God or even worse Toole :p, just want it to be complete with a reasoning which was missing in that case so in my opinion that was different compared to a typical specified concrete criticism in a review of Amir.
Over and out :)

Descartes

Major Contributor
Professionalism, respect, courtesy and empathy are all the qualities that are needed to provide feedback to anyone!

Danaxus

Let's take a step back for a moment, and think about what we stand to gain:
I can't see any benefit to criticising a person, rather than their ideas. Ad hominem arguments are of no value to a proper thesis - neither the poster, nor the readers benefit.
Ideas on the other hand - have at it. This is ostensibly a science-focused forum, and science involves a Darwinian process of ruthlessly attacking any and every idea, so that only the fittest survive. Whether the originator of the idea is a public figure or not, is irrelevant.

Public figures are fair game for the media (they're newsworthy, acceptable targets of parody, etc), but nothing that would be considered on-topic here.

Top Bottom