• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

McIntosh MX100 A/V Processor Review (by ErinsAudioCorner)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin is back baby!

ErinsAudioCorner has posted his first electronics review using the Audio Precision APx555B.
:D

DSC03814.JPG

Dashboard%204dB.png

The rest of the graphs are on his site.

He will be publishing a video about this review, in the future.

Discuss!

Oh cool, this is my 3000's post. :cool:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Good to ser Erin black!

And that is a damn good processor! Now, Mc should update it with DLBC.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Great. Glad Erin is back.

Would be good to see SINAD with DSP on.

Is MultiEQX software working with this unit or only with Denon/Marantz XT32?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Turns out it is possible to make an AVR/Receiver that is not shit.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Great. Glad Erin is back.

Would be good to see SINAD with DSP on.

Is MultiEQX software working with this unit or only with Denon/Marantz XT32?
I think you can only apply the full software on Denon and Marantz gear only.

Mac should definetly go for the full version of Dirac as an option, to be honest.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I think you can only apply the full software on Denon and Marantz gear only.

Mac should definetly go for the full version of Dirac as an option, to be honest.
I didn’t see Dirac as an option for this amp. Did I miss it?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I didn’t see Dirac as an option for this amp. Did I miss it?
It isn't, indeed. This processor has been around since 2020.

However, Macintosh has included Dirac on their most recent AVR, but there is no info about what version and if it will be able to use DLBC.

I hope they give that fact a couple twists and allow it to be upgraded to DLBC multisub and, extend it to future revisions of this processor. Eventually, it would be outstanding if it could also apply ART.

The MX100 is among the top processors in engineering terms, no reason to keep it out of an equally performing software to take advantage of a superb hardware.

In usability terms, the only thing I miss in their line is more U rack-friendly components such as CD transports or phono stages.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s great. Shows that it wasn’t just bling compared to the D&M designs. Main weakness is the lack of the Audyssey app support. I wonder if it has midrange compensation on or off by default.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That’s great. Shows that it wasn’t just bling compared to the D&M designs. Main weakness is the lack of the Audyssey app support. I wonder if it has midrange compensation on or off by default.
Paired with Mc Class D amps (or any other hypex-based one), it could make one of the most transparent multichannel systems we can get. Transparent and plenty powerful to drive most speakers.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Way too expensive to only have Audyssey XT32, but it is a product from 2020 so it's begging for an update.

You can add a minidsp to use Dirac for the FL/FR and let Audyssey do the rest. Not a cheap solution, but the MX100 is expensive enough to invest $450 more for the mini if one really wants to use DL.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can add a minidsp to use Dirac for the FL/FR and let Audyssey do the rest. Not a cheap solution, but the MX100 is expensive enough to invest $450 more for the mini if one really wants to use DL.

Technically that doesn't work as well as DLBC because it can optimize *all* of the crossovers individually which is really obnoxious to do with a miniDSP for high channel counts.

But sure. You can also buy a JBL SDP-55 for probably ~$6K or maybe even less that just has Dirac+DLBC built-in plus lots of other features like Auro3D, Dante, etc. I just don't think this has a competitive feature set for $5500.

That said it looks like a Mcintosh and some people don't care about the above things, so I'm sure it sells well enough. It is good that it's engineered well, too, cause they could have just slapped a pretty case on a crappy processor and they didn't do that.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Autocorrect and Spanish are not the best friends when typing English. :D
C senior :facepalm:

I just thought it was funny with the perspective of the last 1/2 year to have the “black-n-blue” as the beat up session here… and at home.

Have a good day Sir.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the specs, and now measurements too, it almost seem like the MX100 is a clone (a much better version) of a Denon AVR, or maybe a Marantz AV8805A.:p

hmt

Don's see how this is much better. I also see no point in using a minidsp with this. Just buy the AV10 when dirac is important top you and be done with it.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Looking at the specs, and now measurements too, it almost seem like the MX100 is a clone (a much better version) of a Denon AVR, or maybe a Marantz AV8805A.:p
I have red those coments in many other forums, particularly with users that have taken pictures of the layouts. However, I guess there are just so many ways to build an AVP with certain features. Mac and SU have never said anything at all, but on the other hand Mc has never said anything about Hypex on their class D amps, yet, users over here have confirmed that those are indeed Hypex modules.

If we see a new round of processors by fall with similar features to the newer Denon and Marantz, well... :D

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have red those coments in many other forums, particularly with users that have taken pictures of the layouts. However, I guess there are just so many ways to build an AVP with certain features. Mac and SU have never said anything at all, but on the other hand Mc has never said anything about Hypex on their class D amps, yet, users over here have confirmed that those are indeed Hypex modules.

If we see a new round of processors by fall with similar features to the newer Denon and Marantz, well... :D

I was just joking. However, the distortion specs and the SINAD vs output voltage curve looks indeed very similar to that of the AVR-X8500H Amir measured. That must be just a coincidence though.

That being said, if Denon would just remove the power amps from the 8500 or the new A1H, replaced the 25 to 30 lbs power supply with a much smaller one, and add balanced output, it will be an excellent much lower cost alternative to the high end preamp processors, such as McIntosh's.

Top Bottom