• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS60 wireless review by ErinsAudioCorner

GA16SE

.......................In that scenario, the LS60 functions as the left and right speakers (or back).........
It would be interesting to read how did KEF R&D team look at LS60W as part of a multi-channel speaker system. If I remember correctly, a few months ago, @Kal Rubinson wrote that he was planning on LS60s for his surround pair.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The only thing I can think of, is since the LS60W is literally a computer, is it needs to be restarted, after you've plugged in your ethernet cable.
After reset the wifi speed is fine for a short period, then it drops. It’s unreliable. I have had contact with kef support, but offering a reset / restart as a solution, is no solution.

GA16SE

I also confronted difficulties upon setting the system up wirelessly. To avoid such issues, my primary KEF LS60 speaker is wired to the router and also to the secondary KEF LS60 speaker. I’m aware that they were intended as wireless devices, but I’m not a fan of wireless streaming.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That’s how I use mine, networks can be no end of frustration.
Keith

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, the magic of wireless networks. Sometimes it works, rarely when you need it. And no one knows why. Magic!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I also confronted difficulties upon setting the system up wirelessly. To avoid such issues, my primary KEF LS60 speaker is wired to the router and also to the secondary KEF LS60 speaker. I’m aware that they were intended as wireless devices, but I’m not a fan of wireless streaming.
Since I set my LS50WII, I did so wired and wired has stood till today. I never had a problem with data stability. So yeah, anyone that has a LS50/60/LSX and the capacity to keep them wired, go wired.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
In 99% of the setups, bass management, crossover, distances, etc. is handled by the AV receiver with dirac, audyssey, roomperfect, etc.

In that scenario, the LS60 functions as the left and right speakers (or back). LS60 form factor isn’t likely to fit as a center. :)
1. That scenario defeats the purpose of the LS60s being wireless.

2. The LS60 already includes DSP and a sub out. How difficult would it really be to add a user setting for time delay either for the speaker or for the sub out? Unless the DSP in the speaker is already being pushed to its processing limits, which I doubt, variable time delay should be able to be implemented with a firmware and software update.

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
Other than setting them up mine are wired both network in and R>L. I use a a WiiM Mini into the optical when I want to sync music to my three other zones. I use my ADI most of the time feeding analog and coax

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
- Wireless speed is dropping so low it causes dropouts in wireless playback. Happens also when connected to another router and internet speed is 500mbps. I have tried to connect it to erhernet, but it keeps using wireless, I can’t find any option to use ethernet only? But then again, a LS60 wireless should have an excellent wireless audio transmission.
My Internet speed is about 420 Mbps on download. I noticed some dropouts when streaming Tidal through the KEF Connect app on my tablet, but so far have not had a single dropout when streaming Tidal through my NAS using Logitech Media Server.

So, I think the issue may be with my tablet or the KEF Connect app. It is a new tablet, so I need to play with it more to find out which it is. I will try streaming using the Tidal mobile app to see if any dropouts occur there as well. If so, then the culprit probably is my tablet. If not, then it is the KEF connect app.

Chester

So just for my benefit, is it the wireless connection between speakers that appears a little flaky and requires a reset periodically, or is it streaming to the speakers wirelessly?

Thanks

Talisman

Forum Donor
Great to see the LS60 perform so well. I have a pair since 3 weeks in my living room setup, love them. Love their neutral honest sound, great stereo imaging, build quality. Lots of bass (waaaaay more than Kef R5).

I think they go loud enough, I really never feel this is a problem. Certainly go loud enough to damage your ears.

Temporary “chistmas tree is in the room” setup.
Every time I see a lamp or an ornament above some speakers a part of me dies

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
So just for my benefit, is it the wireless connection between speakers that appears a little flaky and requires a reset periodically, or is it streaming to the speakers wirelessly?

Thanks
I have the Ethernet cable connecting my speakers together, so no issue there. I have heard of some issues when the Ethernet cable is not used, but new firmware (2.0) for the LS60s was just released. Perhaps that fixed it, but I don't know.

My NAS streams to the speakers flawlessly, so there are no issues whatsoever with the primary speaker receiving the stream over WiFi.

The streaming issues I have encountered only occurred when streaming from the KEF Connect app on my new tablet, so either are due to my new tablet or due to the KEF Connect app. I'm not sure yet. For the next few days I will try streaming from the Tidal mobile app on my tablet to see if there are any issues with the tablet itself.

EDIT: All morning have been streaming from the Tidal mobile app to a MiniDSP SHD on my other audio system, and it has been working flawlessly. So, at this point I do suspect the issue is the KEF mobile app. To me that is not a big deal, though; I prefer streaming from my NAS or from the Tidal Mobile app.

EDIT 2: I just had a hickup streaming from the Tidal mobile app to the LS60s. At this point I am not sure what is the issue. I didn't hear any hickups streaming from the Tidal mobile app to my miniDSP SHD using my tablet, nor have I heard any hickups streaming to the LS60s from my NAS. So far it only seems to be an issue when streaming from my new tablet to the LS60s, but the tablet, SHD and LS60s are all connected to the same WiFi. The NAS is connected to the router via Ethernet.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It would be interesting to read how did KEF R&D team look at LS60W as part of a multi-channel speaker system. If I remember correctly, a few months ago, @Kal Rubinson wrote that he was planning on LS60s for his surround pair.
Yes. Still only on paper as the home renovations are in progress. I must add that, for the LS60s to work as surrounds in synch with the other speakers, they will be wired with S/PDIF from my HAPI II and Cat6 between primary and slave LS60s. I was assured by KEF that the internal processing latency is fixed under those conditions.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Look forward to reading your findings on that approach.
I cannot think of any other way to send them SR/SL channels but I am open to suggestions.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor

Thanks
The latter. Drop outs are on both speakers.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Every time I see a lamp or an ornament above some speakers a part of me dies
They have a new place, freed from stuff on top.

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 123

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
I have the Ethernet cable connecting my speakers together, so no issue there. I have heard of some issues when the Ethernet cable is not used, but new firmware (2.0) for the LS60s was just released. Perhaps that fixed it, but I don't know.
I will try again but still think it is ridiculous as audio streams have a low bitrate. And it is another cable. Kef LS60 WIRELESS.

Problem is also that there is no menu option to disable the wireless connection.

Top Bottom