• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 DAC/Streamer Official Thread

Goodfellas27

Btw, I also get the crackly noise at the start of most songs. Accepted the fact that it is due to my wifi connection (as I can't get wired connection to my unit)
You could access your router and add the Matrix to QoS as a priority. It should alleviate the issues.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will the Matrix Audio X-Saber 3's built-in preamp work just as well, or is there something else to consider?
According to my measurements (yet to be published... I'm darn late on this...), The X-SABRE 3 doesn't need for a preamp, unless for very poorly sensitive power amp at the other end.
Spoilers: max balanced output is indeed 5.12Vrms. And even with digital attenuation, you still have decent THD+N to deal with at lower levels.
So if you're OK with volume settings either by the remote or the tactile control on the unit, it should be fine.;)

Last edited:

karapus75

Hello, I'm new here, I live in Germany.
If anything, do not kick for my English.
I have Energy Veritas v2.8 speakers. Simaudio Moon P8 preamp and Simaudio Moon W8 amplifier.
I need a new head unit. At the moment, the Electric Company ECI 6 DS. Now I'm looking at Matrix Audio X-Saber 3.
Should I get rid of my pre-amp kit and just have amplified speakers and a Matrix Audio X-Saber 3? Will the Matrix Audio X-Saber 3's built-in preamp work just as well, or is there something else to consider?
I have no experience with devices of this class. Therefore, do not scold if you did not go there. Or point me where I need.
Many thanks to everyone who answers.

karapus75

According to my measurements (yet to be published... I'm darn late on this...), The X-SABRE 3 doesn't need for a preamp, unless very poorly sensitive power amp on the other end.
Spoilers: max balanced output is indeed 5.12Vrms. And even with digital attenuation, you still have decent THD+N to deal with at lower levels.
So if you're OK with volume settings either by the remote or the tactile control on the unit, it should be fine.;)
so I should sell my old preamplifier (now it costs about 6000€ used) and just buy this modern device? Sounds tempting... I still have 3000€ left for sweets.o_O

officialsm

so I should sell my old preamplifier (now it costs about 6000€ used) and just buy this modern device? Sounds tempting... I still have 3000€ left for sweets.o_O

Could works as preamplifier if you look at output Vrms. If you only try to ear without measuring i can be sure will be not the same. A real preamplifier sounds better.

karapus75

Could works as preamplifier if you look at output Vrms. If you only try to ear without measuring i can be sure will be not the same. A real preamplifier sounds better.
Thanks for your reply!
tell me which forum thread I need to contact about discussing the purchase of a head unit for my system. I understand that I'm writing in the wrong place.
Thanks again.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand that I'm writing in the wrong place.
No. You're precisely in the right place to get the best sound avoiding useless expenses.
Yet, if you prefer to believe in voodoo tweaks and subjectivism BS, then you should look elsewhere...;)
A real preamplifier sounds better.
Is that so? Why it would exactly?
If you only try to ear without measuring i can be sure will be not the same
Anybody could hear what he wants. I could conduct reversed blind listening tests of two DACs, announced to be one at 200€, and the other at 20 000€ and you will hear a difference. Untill I tell you that both DACs were the exact same units from the very beginning.

karapus75

No. You're precisely in the right place to get the best sound avoiding useless expenses.
Yet, if you prefer to believe in voodoo tweaks and subjectivism BS, then you should look elsewhere...;)

Is that so? Why it would exactly?

Anybody could hear what he wants. I could conduct reversed blind listening tests of two DACs, announced to be one at 200€, and the other at 20 000€ and you will hear a difference. Untill I tell you that both DACs were the exact same units from the very beginning.
Thanks for your reply! After reading this thread, I learned that at the moment this is the best that is at the moment. (in the price range up to 3000. My budget is up to 5000).
can you give any alternative? I planned to sell the preamplifier.
Thanks

Goodfellas27

Thanks for your reply! After reading this thread, I learned that at the moment this is the best that is at the moment. (in the price range up to 3000. My budget is up to 5000).
can you give any alternative? I planned to sell the preamplifier.
Thanks
I am running SABRE-3 without a preamp pushing IcePower IceEdge 1200AS 2400 series amps from Apollon Audio. I have yet run into power issues.
As Vintage mentioned, the SABRE-3 has plenty of juice to move these amps with ease (>5VMRS ). So far (subjectively), I get really holographic soundstage with tons of details. I suspect the noise floor is low since it bested my OPPO205.
I can't wait to read Vintage's findings.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Hello all. what did people think of the D90SE from Topping? I'm running Apple music via USB now and the Sabre -3X could now be made redundant.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...kind of *haem* late... :facepalm:

Main down.jpg

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Got the MA RM4 remote for my X-SABRE 3 delivered today. It works right out of the box. Playback functions work as expected with Roon and with TIDAL and Spotify as well.

IMG_5565.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
As a free upgrade? Is the front plate still aluminum? TBH, I find it to be kind of ugly, but it looks quite functional on the other hand.

No free, I paid $59 shipped from China to the US. Purchased directly from Matrix Audio. Front is aluminum and back plastic, like the RM3 that comes with the X-SABRE 3. It’s nice to have playback functions and dedicated buttons for each input.

ICantHearYou

I got a RM4 in the mail as well today for my X-Sabre3. Very excited about how well the playback functions work. Definitely a quality-of-life upgrade!

officialsm

I got a RM4 in the mail as well today for my X-Sabre3. Very excited about how well the playback functions work. Definitely a quality-of-life upgrade!
Could tou explain which improvements or better functions will have?

Top Bottom