• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any solution for Hi Res streamer and DAC with SINAD over 115 dB AND Roon AND MQA support?

totti1965

So far I have used the Sonos Connect ZP 100 and was extremely satisfied with the usabilty. Now I want to upgrade the sound a little.
Are there any recommendations from you guys for an inexpensive solution , which includes the following:
1. streamer and DAC (integrated or separate) - at least in the quality of the ALLO Boss 2 streamer.
2. Roon tested or Roon ready
3. MQA -capable, because I mainly want to stream music via Tidal (also in High Resolution).

Does the Allo Boss 2 have a MQA decoder?
Question: Is it the streamer that determines whether MQA files can be played, or is it solely the DAC???
If it is only the DAC that matters, would the S.M.S.L SU-1 plus Raspberry Pi be a good alternative to a Gustard A 26, a Matrix Audio x-Sabre Pro or a Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3?
They would be a bit too expensive for me.
Roon is available, so it doesn't matter so much about the ease of use of the device or its app.

ExPerfectionist

Regarding number 3, Tidal is moving away from MQA and introducing FLAC soon. So MQA should not be a requirement for you. That should open up your options to consider.

I don't know about your listed streamers, but I just got a WIIM Pro for Tidal and Spotify, and run it to my AVR w/ built-in DAC via a Digital Coax cable.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You look a little bit like Richard Gere @totti1965. I was placing the face and bang Richard Gere popped up in memory. LoL.

JLGF1

Inexpensive solution?

Wiim-Pro as soon as it receives Roon certification ($150). You can use any DAC you like. Or feed the digital output straight into an AVR, as mentioned above.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a bit pricey (well, maybe slightly more than a bit), but if I had a do-over for my Topping d90se and iFi Neo Stream combo I’d be quite curious to get my hands on the very unheralded Gustard A26 that was quietly released several months ago.

Their products have always measured neck and neck with Topping’s; they’re a fellow Chinese digital audio shop and I’m not sure why they don’t get as much press as Topping or SMSL. Maybe it’s because they’re not as prolific and are priced a bit higher—but they’re still nowhere near Matrix Audio range and they’re reasonably priced for the level of quality they attain.

I had a personal look inside their x26 Pro released last year, and it was impeccably designed and lovingly detailed—with a feel that just reeked of quality. Their new A26 almost verges on OCD attention to rigor in its design; it has one AK4499EX DAC chip for each channel, with the separate AK4191 modulator to isolate the digital and analog stages AND a separate power supply and ground per side as well. It has a Roon Ready streamer that supports native DSD 512, PCM 784, 32 bit and that full MQA unfold you’re after. More details about it can be found here:

For a cheaper streamer that does everything you could ask for (save supporting DSD512, although it handles native DSD 256 just fine) and will set you back less than $400, look at the iFi Zen Stream. It’s basically a Volumio based micro computer that’s been modified to be a bit more premium and plug and play, it’s fully integrated with Roon, plus Tidal Connect, DLNA, HQPlayer and AirPlay 2 and has USB output to run to any DAC you want. It’s what I had for years until I made the classist “upgrade” to the Neo Stream and still feel icky about it.

Last edited:

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi Totti,

if you are happy with the Sonus Connect I would stay with it as your stand alone streamer, as it is bit perfect, and using the Coaxial or Optical out add a topping E30 or D50S or SMSL SU8 DAC.

KISS

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding number 3, Tidal is moving away from MQA and introducing FLAC soon. So MQA should not be a requirement for you. That should open up your options to consider.

I don't know about your listed streamers, but I just got a WIIM Pro for Tidal and Spotify, and run it to my AVR w/ built-in DAC via a Digital Coax cable.
Another vote for Wiim, here.

I use it into as SMSL 8Us (apologies if I botched the model number) and then to the preamp.

You can do this very affordably!!!

Top Bottom