• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need a physical volume control in my setup? If so, should I just change my streamer?

dan_uk

Hi all,

I have the following and am very happy with the sound quality, however, the only volume control I have is digital via Roon.
  • Allo USBRIDGE - Network into USB transport for Roon
  • Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro MQA DAC
  • Nord One NCx500ST Stereo Power Amplifier
  • REL Storm sub - Connected directly to the Nord for high-level input into the REL
  • Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 ii
I'm super happy with the sound, however, I'm always concerned, what if Roon decides to set my volume to 100% somehow? Is this possible / a valid concern?

I don't really want to add a full on pre-amp, seems OTT as I only really have one input and what affect the sound? What about adding a passive pre-amp with just one input/output and a volume knob?

Lastly, I also wouldn't be against the idea of swapping the Allo transport and Matrix Audio DAC with something like the Eversolo A6 or A8, a streamer, DAC and volume control all in one?

Thanks, everyone

OldTimer

I call the pre-amp as volume control. It supposed to be less than $50. It’s just a volume control, which is said by a lot of people as Pre-Amp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have the following and am very happy with the sound quality, however, the only volume control I have is digital via Roon.

I'm super happy with the sound, however, I'm always concerned, what if Roon decides to set my volume to 100% somehow?
Your Matrix Audio DAC has volume control as well.
Why not set your Matrix so that 100% in Roon is just loud enough? Use it as a limiter basically.

OP
D

dan_uk

Your Matrix Audio DAC has volume control as well.
Why not set your Matrix so that 100% in Roon is just loud enough? Use it as a limiter basically.
Ah good idea... So switch DAC to pre-amp, turn the volume down... Crack up Roon to 100% and then increase DAC to the maximum volume I'd ever want to listen to... Then just use Roon on a daily basis.

I assume the Matrix Audio has no history of resetting its volume to 100%?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I assume the Matrix Audio has no history of resetting its volume to 100%?
I don't know.
It's much easier to slip with your mouse and set a software slider to 100%, than it is to keep holding down the Matrix's volume button though.

OP
D

dan_uk

I don't know.
It's much easier to slip with your mouse and set a software slider to 100%, than it is to keep holding down the Matrix's volume button though.
Thanks @staticV3 !! HAve been running like this for a few days now and works a treat!! I think generally I'll be running Roon at -20 db most days, so even if the DAC does reset to 100%, at least it's better than Roon and the DAC being at 100% together!

Top Bottom