• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV8805A Review (AV Processor)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
“It’s not musical enough bro” -Marantz
Yeah their trying to walk that high wire.... Marantz - Smooth, Musical, Denon - Punchy.

So far measurements we have seen seem to say Marantz=more distortion, Denon = Less distortion.... but it is possible that we are not measuring the aspects where Marantz does better? Slew rate? - Marantz apparently use Current feedback where Denon uses Voltage Feedback ... so question is, where would that manifest?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah their trying to walk that high wire.... Marantz - Smooth, Musical, Denon - Punchy.

So far measurements we have seen seem to say Marantz=more distortion, Denon = Less distortion.... but it is possible that we are not measuring the aspects where Marantz does better? Slew rate? - Marantz apparently use Current feedback where Denon uses Voltage Feedback ... so question is, where would that manifest?

What if more distortion gives people that “vintage warm” sound?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Typically "warmth" is in the 100hz to 300Hz zone, and shows up as a F/R variation (doesn't need much... 0.2db will do!)

Even harmonics can make the sound "sweeter" - I have this lovely Sony MC cartridge, it sounds clear and almost bell like in its tones - haven't measured it, but I would guess lots of even harmonics, I'm pretty sure it's not an "accurate" transducer... but damn doesn't it sound sweet!

I recall, years ago, hearing a Quad II valve amp driving a set of Quad ESL57's - it had that same euphonic sweetness too....

I just wish I could have a sweetness button, that turns on the appropriate filters to generate that specific type of distortion.... then it could be turned on for those recordings it suits (female vocals...), and off for the rest.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Besides, show me a card that is affordable and with at least 4 HDMI inputs! Or, a PCI solution for the Raspberry Pi that doesn't require hacking and involving soldering? ...
Sir @sarumbear, I intentionally waited for over 365 days to ask you if you have found the affordable hardware solution to output quality audio from an HDMI extractor.
[there is a ?mark there but could not figure out where.]
And please don't answer with Crestron DigitalMedia.;)

MacCali

Major Contributor

Oh yea what does that last part entail? Voltage vs current. Amir had that also on that recent topping reviews on one of the slides, think it was in regards to limiter and ohms of the headphones.

Also not sure if we fully understand what makes an amp musical. I’m white and oddly I do enjoy that typical I guess Asian type of sound. Edit: I guess @dlaloum
Just pointed out what makes something warm, just read it

I will toss in here, I used to love BB dacs. Most people say dacs don’t really got a sound and maybe it was ifi products in general and they use bb so that maybe the case. However I now prefer AKM and it started with the 4493, then 4497 and I purchased the d70s and it is measuring state of the art. Yet does have that nice warmth to it. But is nothing like the benchmark amp, probably dac vs amp isn’t a fair comparison. End edit.

But as I pointed out in many posts on here, and also a reminder that a still fairly new to home audio, products with poor sinads do not sound as bad as you would imagine and it’s really easy to sell anything based on subjective opinions.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
It actually does, I love tubes. Recently I was saying purely based on common sense. I did not like the benchmark amp and I heard it both in regular and bridged modes.

Bridged mode would clearly add more distortion, but the point was you must consider the fact everything you listen to for a large portion of your life has always had noise and distortion.

When you take something and make it so far from what you are used to hearing it sounds odd and for some this maybe unpleasant. I didn’t think it sounded bad, but I did not like it.

In addition, my take on it in a professional setting would be a great amp. I am not into or have done any type of mixing or production but if I recall correctly that’s what benchmark products were originally intended for

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It actually does, I love tubes. Recently I was saying purely based on common sense. I did not like the benchmark amp and I heard it both in regular and bridged modes.

Bridged mode would clearly add more distortion, but the point was you must consider the fact everything you listen to for a large portion of your life has always had noise and distortion.

When you take something and make it so far from what you are used to hearing it sounds odd and for some this maybe unpleasant. I didn’t think it sounded bad, but I did not like it.

In addition, my take on it in a professional setting would be a great amp. I am not into or have done any type of mixing or production but if I recall correctly that’s what benchmark products were originally intended for

I wish we could do some better controlled tests. When we manually add distortion, it gets pretty hard to hear differences. What I have seen is that a good tube amp does in fact sound spectacular for certain content.

I don’t think it’s just as simple as distortion since the cleanest tube amps sound better than the distortion factories.

I would point out that at 50 milliwatt, a tube amp can have less distortion than the AHB2

It’s the same magazine, just German and English versions…

MacCali

Major Contributor
I wish we could do some better controlled tests. When we manually add distortion, it gets pretty hard to hear differences. What I have seen is that a good tube amp does in fact sound spectacular for certain content.

I don’t think it’s just as simple as distortion since the cleanest tube amps sound better than the distortion factories.

I would point out that at 50 milliwatt, a tube amp can have less distortion than the AHB2

It’s the same magazine, just German and English versions…
I totally agree, on my post #345, I was referring to poor sinad and everything else you could imagine which is horrible exists on an amp I purchased that was only $20. The msrp is $150, from a product so cheap you can’t expect much.

But on the topic of distortion this unit has distortion in the teens at 10 watts. Not sure how often an amp really hits 10 watts but clearly it’s a very cheap design.

I use this amp on a secondary system for background music, and also have sat down to enjoy the sweet spot. I had no idea how it measured and when I brought it home and hooked it up I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually in a strange way good.

A few months later I was looking around the internet and I saw that Amir had actually measured it. So I thought maybe this a Chinese clone of some amp and was curious to see how it measured, assuming it would measure decent. It was #2 of the worst amps ever measured, overall I believe Amir stated it’s the worse amp ever LOL.

I am firm believer in measurements, but this was a revelation to me. I own something that’s total crap, yet to my ears subjectively it wasn’t bad. However, based on the analysis you would assume it’s going to be bad.

It really made me think and opened a few ideas why things are the way they are in our audio community.

On the other hand, my main “reference” system is state of the art and had outstanding measurements. So I did have the worst and best setup to compare. I tell everyone in no way is worst better or equal to well measuring gear. But really can’t say a percentage of what the difference is.

I think maybe better than all this we need to understand how much does music itself actually drown out the poor performance. When no music is playing you can hear it. But once it comes on it’s almost like all the bad things get reduced even in quiet passages. I’m guessing that’s why the difference isn’t as great and beyond that makes me wonder how much worse does it have to get before you can say this is horrible

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am firm believer in measurements, but this was a revelation to me. I own something that’s total crap, yet to my ears subjectively it wasn’t bad. However, based on the analysis you would assume it’s going to be bad.

I know you have liked this post already where I talk about a transparent audio system versus one with forced seasoning. I have become a fan of Marantz gear that seems to make mediocre voices sound better and also has reliability/ethical manufacturing standards in Japan, etc. I get the same sense with the PM-11s2 and I am going to see how the PM-10 compares.

I would love to figure out what specifically is the coloration that generates the favorable sound or if it is all sighted bias. The distortion is lower than thresholds and the high frequency roll off is beyond my hearing which I think is pretty good at 17+ kHz. (I can still hear a mosquito tone at 17.4->20khz modulation)

What I can say is that while classical music isn’t bad on the Marantz PM-90, the more transparent system is better there.

I think a fair statement is that you cannot go wrong with a high performance setup, provided your musical content is good. In that regard, a high SINAD product makes the most sense for home theater. In contrast, a low SINAD product indicates that more detail is needed. Noise is worse than distortion, and we are sensitive to distortion differently at different frequencies. There can be good or bad sounding low SINAD products, but they will never sound good with a well mastered recording.

Where the trouble comes in is with less than reference recordings. There are plenty of times where the music just sounds better on a less SINAD product to me.

I think the closest example is the car audio setup with crazy SPLs below 50 Hz. That inaccuracy is great for the owner of the car while others will think it horrible.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sir @sarumbear, I intentionally waited for over 365 days to ask you if you have found the affordable hardware solution to output quality audio from an HDMI extractor.
[there is a ?mark there but could not figure out where.]
And please don't answer with Crestron DigitalMedia.;)
May I ask what gave you the impression that I was searching for such a device? However, @amirm has tested a device that extracts audio from an HDMI signal at 24-bit resolution. I guess that satisfies your quality requirement? It is extremely affordable too.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I know you have liked this post already where I talk about a transparent audio system versus one with forced seasoning. I have become a fan of Marantz gear that seems to make mediocre voices sound better and also has reliability/ethical manufacturing standards in Japan, etc. I get the same sense with the PM-11s2 and I am going to see how the PM-10 compares.

I would love to figure out what specifically is the coloration that generates the favorable sound or if it is all sighted bias. The distortion is lower than thresholds and the high frequency roll off is beyond my hearing which I think is pretty good at 17+ kHz. (I can still hear a mosquito tone at 17.4->20khz modulation)

What I can say is that while classical music isn’t bad on the Marantz PM-90, the more transparent system is better there.

I think a fair statement is that you cannot go wrong with a high performance setup, provided your musical content is good. In that regard, a high SINAD product makes the most sense for home theater. In contrast, a low SINAD product indicates that more detail is needed. Noise is worse than distortion, and we are sensitive to distortion differently at different frequencies. There can be good or bad sounding low SINAD products, but they will never sound good with a well mastered recording.

Where the trouble comes in is with less than reference recordings. There are plenty of times where the music just sounds better on a less SINAD product to me.

I think the closest example is the car audio setup with crazy SPLs below 50 Hz. That inaccuracy is great for the owner of the car while others will think it horrible.
I agree with this also, my comment was in reference to stereo listening.

I believe it was this thread where Peng was trying to help me achieve the best sinad on my 7013 with proper external amp pairings. Honestly I am certain it measures equal to the 7015 which Amir measured.

From a sound bar, which was my old system, 5 channels is an amazing experience. Super immersive, my type of sound, and can get insanely loud. My “theater room” is small and I can easily surpass and overload it more than a movie theater. Which to me is phenomenal, really love that and so far 99% of my content I use is streamed so it’s compressed lossy audio which maybe the factor you are touching on.

I just got a ub9000 to improve the audio experience. Which is why I wanted to increase the sinad via pre outs to get the most of my player. Cause I’m not trying to spend more money on equipment and my only foundation is this avr, if I am happy might as well not keep chasing the rainbow

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I have a 1980's Sony high output MC cartridge XLMC5 - it doesn't have the ultimate tip or the best cantilever - it is not the most neutral....

But the distortion it has, makes it sound very sweet, bell like clear tones, it seems to "ring" - and with things like female vocals, small Jazz and such it can sound just awesomely good.

Yeah I know its not transparent - but sometimes - it is just the thing for certain recordings.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to be able to turn on a filter that simulates that distortion profile for specific recordings!

Depending on my very suspect audio memory - a Quad II valve amp, driving a pair of ESL57's - with an unknown turntable and cartridge (heard circa 1986) - had much of that same magic... - not a rock setup, and not great on massed and massive orchestral material - but for acoustic small Jazz, female vocals and such - Magic!

pedrob

Thanks. Looks like their name doesn't mean as much as it used to, as it appears to be all for show. So glad I went with the Denon.
I upgraded from a Denon AVCX8500B (used solely as a pre-processor) and the improvement in sound quality is amazing. Sure it might not test as well on the bench, but the additional clarity speaks volumes for the marantz* brand.

P.S. Probably the improved SQ comes from the slew rate. Could that slew rate be impacting the bench test?

* marantz doesn't capitalise it's name on the equipment, so neither am I.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
I would guess the "improved SQ" comes from lack of controls in the listening test.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I upgraded from a Denon AVCX8500B (used solely as a pre-processor) and the improvement in sound quality is amazing. Sure it might not test as well on the bench, but the additional clarity speaks volumes for the marantz* brand.

P.S. Probably the improved SQ comes from the slew rate. Could that slew rate be impacting the bench test?

* marantz doesn't capitalise it's name on the equipment, so neither am I.
Slew rate should be the same as it is likely limited by the same opamps or volume control ICs. The HDAMs are additional buffers so they can't improve the overall slew rate, at best they won't make it worse.

Maybe you have excellent hearing so you actually heard the much higher harmonic distortions as measured, and you happen to like the sound of the additional harmonics. If so, lucky you....

Newman

Major Contributor
Where it comes from is irrelevant. All that matters is the enhanced listening experience!
But if the listening test controls were unbalanced in the opposite direction, you would experience the enhancement with the Denon instead. Are you still sure that doesn't matter?

pedrob

I have no idea what "test controls were unbalanced in the opposite direction" even means. All I know is there are balanced outputs, and it goes without saying that the levels of all channels need to be balanced.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
According to marantz "The AV8805A features exclusive Marantz Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM) technology that provide ultra-fast slew rate, true wideband performance, and maximum dynamic range for optimum sound quality."

Is Higher Slew Rate Better? 6 Reasons Explained

In that link, higher slew rate would contribute to lower distortions, but the AV8805A has much higher distortions than the ARV-X8500H, anyway the key point is, yes slew rate needs to be high, but like most things, at some point it will be high enough such that higher won't make any different. There is no evidence that slew rate would be an issue for amplifiers that don't use discrete opamps such as Marantz HDAMs. Opamp ICs are used in very high end, very expensive preamps, dacs, power amps without suffering from slew rate related issues.

We all know what marketing hype is... Consider the fact that there are opamps and other ICs in the preamp/dac signal path, the "discrete" HDAM opamp situates near the end of the premap/dac signal chain, with at least one, or more opamp that is an IC, (not discrete like the HDAMs) before the signal hits the power amp input. So even if the slew rate of the HDAM module is infinitely high (that is impossible, but say it is), it cannot make it any higher than the part, whether is it one of the opamp upstream/downstream, volume control IC, switches etc.. It is simple logic. If Marantz uses such discrete opamps end to end then yes they have a great argument in terms of overall slew rate. They might have done that in their higher end integrated amps or power amps, or the new AV10, but not in their AV8805A, and/or prior year models. We know that because the information was available in the service manual that was available shortly after launch time.

Other than the HDAM factor, the AV8805 uses slow DAC filter that resulted in a slight roll off from about 8-10 kHz and dropped about 2.5 dB by the time it hit 20 kHz.

On the distortion side, I would reference Nelson Pass's findings as follow.

Nelson Pass has a great article on which harmonics people prefer, take a look of something he said:

Harmonic Distortion and Sound​

Many audiophiles believe that 2nd harmonic is to be preferred over 3rd harmonic. Certainly it is simpler in character, and it is well agreed that orders higher than third are more audible and less musical. However when given a choice between the sound of an amplifier whose characteristic is dominantly 2nd harmonic versus 3rd harmonic, a good percentage of listeners choose the 3rd.

I have built many examples of simple 2nd and 3rd harmonic “types” of amplifiers over the last 35 years. When I say “types” I mean that they used simple Class A circuits described as “single-ended” versus “push-pull” and so tended to have a 2nd harmonic versus 3rd harmonic in the character of their distortion, but were not made to deliberately distort.

Anecdotally, it appears that preferences break out roughly into a third of customers liking 2nd harmonic types, a third liking 3rd harmonic, and the remainder liking neither or both. Customers have also been known to change their mind over a period of time.

I just find it interesting that you may in fact be a good example of, as you said:

"Sure it might not test as well on the bench, but the additional clarity speaks volumes for the marantz* brand"

May be those extra harmonics from the distortions could account for the "additional clarity". Regardless of the reasons, it is a good thing that you prefer it over the X8500H, otherwise I would imagine, that it wouldn't much of an upgrade for you. I only posted the info because you seem interested to know the reason for the additional details, though no one can know the real reasons for sure.

Aside from the HDAM effects, the AV8805A uses slow dac filters that resulted in roll off from about 8-10 kHz, dropping about 2.5 dB by the time it hit 20 kHz, though that only affect digital inputs at mostly for contents with 48 kHz and below, and high frequency roll off shouldn't give you the perception of additional details. So, I think (could be wrong for sure), harmonic distortions is still the more likely reason.

You can visually compare the harmonic profiles of the AV8805A vs AVR-X8500H:

Note that the 3rd harmonics for the Denon was almost 20 dB lower, at -110 dB, I doubt even those with superb hearing could hear its effect, but at -92 dB, you may hear such low level harmonics and might perceive that as the "additional details".

AV8805A AVR-X8500H

1709040031149.png
1709040131447.png

By the way, I assume you are using XLR outputs, but which power amplifiers are you using? That could potentially be a reason too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom