• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's be a little nicer, especially to newcomers

DonR

Major Contributor
Not to actually revive this topic... but Skynet as depicted in the movies would be a silly joke compared to the reality.

Why bother with slow laser-toting metal halloween skeletons when you can engineer a virus, or bacterium, or fungus, or nanomachines, or tiny drones that can wipe people out with no warning, no cure, and no drama? You know, stuff you'd do if you wanted to exterminate the human race and didn't care if it looked cool on a movie screen?

I do tend to agree with the people who say that AI, if it decides to wipe out humans, would easily succeed.

OK, BACK TO THE TOPIC, SORRY.
I take issue with a lot of Sci-Fi like that. Much of it is poorly thought out. Every planet visited by humans has a breathable atmosphere and 1G gravity. :rolleyes:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha

Thanks for your replies guys. Firstly, I didn't say I preferred vinyl, I have recently started listening to hi-res stuff via a cheap Topping DAC and love that too. What I am slowly realising is that I tend not to think about what the source is and enjoy getting carried away with the music. Am I a failure as an audiophile???
Yes total failure ;) you must only listen to a limited selection from audiophile labels . This music exist so that you can listen to your equipment which is the whole point:p

Lsc

I have several comments on your post.

1) This is the internet. You cannot control, filter or limit other people's comments. Believe me ... it's been tried. It doesn't work.
2) Because of #1, you have to develop a thick skin. My way of doing this is to simply ignore comments that are argumentative, negative or provocative. The maxim I follow is, "Just because a dog barks at you doesn't mean you need to bark back."
3) Building your own speakers is difficult, but designing your own speakers is extremely difficult. To ground yourself and get into the basics, start reading something like The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance Dickason. (cheaper here: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=the loudspeaker design cookbook&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-topnav-_-Results&ds=20)
4) When someone criticizes you by saying that such-and-such is beyond you, ask them how to learn the basics behind that, so it WON'T be beyond you.
5) If you get an answer to #4, you may ... just maybe ... realize that the posters that you thought were condescending weren't actually condescending at all. Maybe they were trying to guide you realistically, although a bit more realistically than you would have preferred. That doesn't mean that they were "berating" you.
6) And finally: Some things are hard to learn and take years to master. If designing speakers was easy, Danny could do it. :p

Don't get disheartened. Blowing up party balloons in a briar patch means you have to deal with a lot of little pricks.

Jim
Hey Jim

You are delusional

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If so, then I am very curious how this sentence of yours

“ …. some audio luminaires, and not pointing to any member of the forum, have been pedling snake oil encased in a 10000 dollars machine aluminum enclosure for decades and being reverred even after measurements revealed that the products are not what they claim to be. … “

is to be understood.

Sounded like a hidden accusation to me. But please explain. Especially as you had to post it publicly.
I suspect he was pointing to industry insiders such as PM, and his ilk, without perhaps realising that "audio luminaries" is a specific tag that some respected individuals have on this forum.

He did state "not pointing to any member of this forum". Perhaps like you, I first read that as "I won't name the person" rather than "I'm not talking about anyone here", becuase of the "audio luminary" description.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I am slowly realising is that I tend not to think about what the source is and enjoy getting carried away with the music. Am I a failure as an audiophile???
Hopefully: the word "audiophile" has a bad rep around here, mainly due to the association with nonsense.

Listening to and enjoying the music is what it should be all about. The equipment is merely the means to that end, and shouldn't be the focus.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I take issue with a lot of Sci-Fi like that. Much of it is poorly thought out. Every planet visited by humans has a breathable atmosphere and 1G gravity. :rolleyes:
On the other hand, I loved Ex Machina. The complete (and literal) inhumanity of the AI mind revealed at the end was fabulous.

DonR

Major Contributor
Hopefully: the word "audiophile" has a bad rep around here, mainly due to the association with nonsense.

Listening to and enjoying the music is what it should be all about. The equipment is merely the means to that end, and shouldn't be the focus.
I think audioequipmentphile would be a better description.

DonR

Major Contributor
I just made that up. :facepalm:
Maybe if we use it enough it will make the list of Merriam-Webster new worlds for 2024.
ophio is about snakes so that was my presumption.

Andysu

Major Contributor
A snake oil lover?
880s5y.gif

Travis

I would counter your point saying that some audio luminaires, and not pointing to any member of the forum, have been pedling snake oil encased in a 10000 dollars machine aluminum enclosure for decades and being reverred even after measurements revealed that the products are not what they claim to be. We should appreciate all sensible comments and not take blindly any expert.
Not sure what your point is.

This was my post:

“Well said. Unfortunately, there are too many of those who really don’t have an in-depth knowledge of what they are talking about, they know the general basics, but they tend to see only black or white when a post does raise an issue with gray areas.

One of the best features that this site has is identifying audio luminaries, technical experts, manufacturers, etc.”

Some forums everyone is an unknown entity. This forum you have AES medal winners, other award winners, and/or published. They are identified, they are identified for a reason.

If you see “audio luminary” designation here it’s pretty clear why that person is given that designation. I have yet to see someone tagged with the “Audio Luminary” label that wasn’t highly deserving of it. I greatly appreciate their participation and involvement here, they have a great way of cutting through the bullshit when they find something they want to respond to. Frequently they post where people have a misunderstanding about the science and they are chasing their tails.

Travis

Our Members have no duty to be kind and gentle with every single person and/or post. Telling the poster the truth and facts is sometimes taken as abrasive or offensive, when it’s just the truth. Thier is a big difference between being direct and factual and being insulting.

New members come here every day to drop in get a few questions answered and they never come back. While the Core Members providing this free high quality content/tech support are here everyday trying to help others get this very complicated Science right. We don’t expect them to bow down and entertain your misunderstandings or misconceptions. If you’re wrong you will be told this pretty swiftly. There is a burden on the new comers to arrive with an open mind and be here under good faith intentions.

In this world we normally get back what we give. If you come here with an attitude or some type of grudge. Expect to be treated in kind to how you present yourself. On the other hand if you come here truly wishing to learn and to intelligently discuss Audio Science you will find a depth of knowledge and experience in Audio Science unmatched anywhere. None of this “human interaction” is complicated unless you intentionally make it so.

Trolls are quickly identified and removed from the collective. As a Community of Science and not feelings and opinions we get a lot of backlash for not blindly believing that there are things about Audio that can not be measured and accounted for by Science and Engineering.

All are welcome to join our community. Bring a positive attitude and you will be greeted in return with a positive Welcome. ;)
I’m trying to reconcile some of this with the plea of the original post. Has there been a rethink on this? Clearly I don’t what the mods see, or deal with. Are we too nice now?

D

Deleted member 21219

I’m trying to reconcile some of this with the plea of the original post. Has there been a rethink on this? Clearly I don’t what the mods see, or deal with. Are we too nice now?

I'm not sure, but I believe this is a comment on, among other things, post #256.

Jim

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that those who get in trouble are those that adamantly believe that there are things that can be heard that the test data doesn't reveal. And the real problem is that the test data reveals things that can never be heard and some use that to argue that those devices are far superior.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
That’s not what I said nor what I intended to communicate. But good communications has to have equal effort from both parties. There have been few instances where a new member got upset by how he was being treated. We jumped in to mediate the situation and after a thorough review there was no offense or insults. He just didn’t like being told that he had his facts wrong and his opinion about what he heard was not scientific evidence. This happened multiple times and I was trying to clarify that for some new members being told that they probably can’t hear the difference between two usb cables or upgraded power cables making a difference. Someone being told that a thing they believe to be true is not true and probably a scam to get the customer to spend exorbitant amounts of money on DACs and cables. This is not a case of being rude or insulting. But to a new member who doesn’t know better, they get defensive and the conversation doesn’t go the way they wanted. Being told you’re wrong can be embarrassing and taken as an insult.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That discussion could have been cut to two pages—at most—if someone had simply posted, "No.", as the second post.
Took 86 posts, but that was predominantly due to the fusillade of replies the OP received. Or maybe because I was asleep for the OP and first 84 replies. :cool:

One might argue that, by post 87, it was (as my father was wont to say) all over but the shouting.
6170 posts of 'the shouting' to date. :)

Top Bottom