• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's be a little nicer, especially to newcomers

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NM? No we’re green chili. Pretty much all the California scenes in the last season of stranger things was filmed here. Netflix produces a ton of shows out here and condo prices a rent are soaring, since we’re so cheap relatively, that many folks in the business are buying work homes out here.
No, no!
Peach State (Georgia) seems to be the current hotbed of film production in the country, from my understanding... after LaLaLand!

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, no!
Peach State (Georgia) seems to be the current hotbed of film production in the country, from my understanding... after LaLaLand!
They are. But so is Albuquerque/Santa Fe.

We’re Tamalewood.

Reactions: JPA

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread Title = "Let's be a little nicer, especially to newcomers"
Being that ASR is an objective-based endeavor; I have an issue with that title...
Let's be nice nicer little-nicer polite civil respectful of all members.

Allow me to explain and provide a personally annoying example!
Even when a well-meaning member's post mentions a certain piece of equipment/hardware [let's call it the "Acme Gizmo AG235"] yet, does not provide any links/references -- as to what the "Acme Gizmo AG235" is -- simply forces readers to waste time searching for "Acme Gizmo AG235".
Collectively, the time consumed by ONE member (=poster) to provide the reference-link saves many other members (=readers) the burden of searching for that :mad: "Acme Gizmo AG235".

[I sympathize that equipment-reviews by @amirm intentionally do not include links; as that can possibly be considered endorsement of a brand/model.]
Yet, you may notice how @amirm reviews always include the frontal photo as well as connectivity at the rear-panel. << Yey, @amirm !
Have you also noticed that some (ignorant/oblivious) equipment manufacturers do not include rear-panel images of their hardware, at their own websites?

References to "Acme Gizmo AG235" is meaningless w/o references! << and I would not bother searching for it now!;)
As I have respect for all members (noobs/geezers) alike, I apologize if you catch me not practicing what I just preached.
CTRL+K is all our friend!:)

sam_adams

Major Contributor
. . . as to what the "Acme Gizmo AG235" is . . .

It doesn't seem to be a very popular product . . .
acme.png

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just follow the tax credit money. Hollywood would film anywhere if price is right for the handouts. Same with professional sports.
Absolutely, the Tax credits (and the 300 days of sun) a year is why they are here. (Well also a cheap labor force that is creatives heavy). But mostly the tax credits. It is still a net positive for our town, both in the income they spend here, plus the taxes the employees pay here. Definitely helps the bottom line, which is important when you are competing with Mississippi of #1 poorest state all the time. Although we do have the fifth richest county. Yeah!, Las Alamos county, and all the fine US tax payers who support the people doing work at that national lab. My NM county (Bernalillo) has a national lab as well, but I doubt we're nowhere near these top lists.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yet, does not provide any links/references -- as to what the "Acme Gizmo AG235" is -- simply forces readers to waste time searching for "Acme Gizmo AG235".

Oh yes, this - one of my pet peeves. And very often I could be helpful, but don't bother due to the effort of having to look up a long list of items in an OP's OP. Some people don't even say what the kit is, Just a long list of item numbers with no idea if they are Dacs, Amps, Speakers, Turntables, or even Reel to reel decks etc.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yes, this - one of my pet peeves. And very often I could be helpful, but don't bother due to the effort of having to look up a long list of items in an OP's OP. Some people don't even say what the kit is, Just a long list of item numbers with no idea if they are Dacs, Amps, Speakers, Turntables, or even Reel to reel decks etc.
A worthy mention should go out to @JSmith [who, I consider to be of geezer quality] for posting the innards of the equipment reviewed/tested by @amirm !
10Q

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't matter how gently you pierce the bubble of some people, they take it as a personal affront.
Some band aids are best ripped off quickly ;)

smith007

I intend this post most respectfully and with inestimable appreciation of the quality minds and expertise evident on ASR.

Debate and argument are critical in science. Argument for its own sake can be a source of revelation and healthy comedy. But in science, debate and argument are essential in the development of scientific truths. Working as a team, formal or informal, can foster marked human and epistemic growth. It might be an aspirational view of ASR that we most optimally work as a team to advance this science.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41599-022-01217-1

Yet at ASR we are not bots and we are not (I would assume) AI. Human brains are not neutral and objective information processors, but instead are discursive and emotional organs that cause associated somatic and emotional feelings, behavioural trajectories, biases and lenses, and which are subject to life-long retention and conditioning (the stuff of trauma and hatred).

Even with specific training in communication skills that enhance civil discourse, cooperation and the goals of science, most all of us can still benefit from subsequent reminders to check our own feelings and our reactions in order to ensure that our replies and posts are not formed through our fight-flight circuits, but instead through our cooperative, curious and intellectual capacities. I would love to publicly applaud the clear-headed posters I’ve read here who beautifully adhere to those latter abilities when things have been hot.

We do indeed possess the amazing capacity to be in mindful relation to our thought and feelings, and to weigh impulses against standards of wisdom and common care. I think we all known on some level that changing our mind and acknowledging, at least to ourselves, when we are wrong are very difficult and even heroic practices.

But just today some have posted their concern that ASR may be gaining some growing reputation for being, too often, mean-spirited. Sometimes when it gets hot it gets even hotter and more random. How often? To what effect(s)? Are there enduring patterns, liabilities and developing blind spots? Do we need to take stock?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But just today some have posted their concern that ASR may be gaining some growing reputation for being, too often, mean-spirited. Sometimes when it gets hot it gets even hotte r and more random. How often? To what effect(s)? Are there enduring patterns, liabilities and developing blind spots? Do we need to take stock?
This happens because people come to forum that is already populated with some who have audio science and engineering backgrounds and with this outside ignorance of who is here start making uninformed statements about technology that forum members are not only knowledgeable but passionate. If people ask questions, apologize for spreading misinformation and try to learn this place can quite welcoming to those who want information. I have been learning a lot about circuit breakers in a recent post, something I have been working with as part time home builder for 40 years. The internet can be an acerbic place, do to one's anonymity and lack of stake in outcomes, why would ASR be different.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This has all been discussed ad-nauseum in other threads. No need to start a new one on the topic.
You are kind of validating the OPs comment with this. Just saying. But I do get your take. There was a recent thread about being civil. I think there is a core group of ASR members who have already addressed many of the new threads about some magic in a speaker cable and it gets kinda of annoying. I think we have to remember that new people on this forum don’t benefit from having seen it before.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But just today some have posted their concern that ASR may be gaining some growing reputation for being, too often, mean-spirited. Sometimes when it gets hot it gets even hotter and more random. How often? To what effect(s)? Are there enduring patterns, liabilities and developing blind spots? Do we need to take stock?

I think it depends who is saying what. ASR has what I would call several schools of thought, and in some cases people from different schoold don't always get along. It's no different than any other forum on the internet of appreciable size!

Last edited:
Top Bottom