• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Equipment Reccomendations for my son.

LostMom

Hello Everyone!

I do not if this is the right place or not, but i try it anyways, please let me know if i digging in the wrong place.

I want to gift my son some audio products because he always tells me how much he wants something nicer, and since he is been a wonderful kid i just thinking about why not.

I just looked up the boxes of his current stuff and He has a Superlux HD681F, Audioengine D1, Logitech Z625, Hyperx Solocast.

I do not really know what is good or bad of these stuff, so if you guys and girls could just tell me what should need replacement or not i would really appriciate that.

He is mainly playing games or listening to music while sitting in front of his computer.

I do not know if i have any budget or not because i do not know how much of these things cost, but i'd rather have a cost cap about roughly 1000-1500 EUR(Around 600,000HUF at max in my currency)

If it is less, of course it is good, but if i can get him something better by sending a bit more, i pretty much down with that.

Thank you for anyone taking the time reading and answering my post.

All the best,
Edit.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @LostMom! Welcome to ASR.

That budget is definitely, easily enough for better speakers and headphones.

Though I struggle to decide how to distribute it properly.

Does your son use his speakers and headphones equally? Or would it make sense to focus on one, as the other doesn't get much use in comparison?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I want to gift my son some audio products because he always tells me how much he wants something nicer, and since he is been a wonderful kid i just thinking about why not.

How great is that. Wonderful kids don't happen without a lot of work, so kudos to you both.

just looked up the boxes of his current stuff and He has a Superlux HD681F, Audioengine D1, Logitech Z625, Hyperx Solocast.

I do not know if i have any budget or not because i do not know how much of these things cost, but i'd rather have a cost cap about roughly 1000-1500 EUR(Around 600,000HUF at max in my currency)

If it is less, of course it is good, but if i can get him something better by sending a bit more, i pretty much down with that.

You should be able to go well within your budget and give him some very nice gear. Is this going to be a surprise for him, or is there a way to find whether he would prefer an open or closed headphone? For open back, the Sennheiser HD650 is one of the standards for a good reason, but there are many great options.

Does he listen more through headphones or speakers, or a mix of both?

Depending on how much space he has on his desk, there are quite a few 'professional monitors' such as Genelec or JBL in a range of sizes that would be truly excellent.

Once you've narrowed down some headphones, some suggestions on an appropriate DAC/amp or two will be more helpful, but that's not where a lot of that budget has to go.

JohnnyAudio

A DJ mixer is fun and educational!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR! Seems like your son has a cool mom who is also savvy about researching things, lucky kid.

The Audioengine D1 is probably OK to leave as-is for now.

The microphone doesn't look too great, but if he isn't recording audio for serious purposes then it is probably fine. If he aims to become a famous streamer or youtuber maybe it could use an upgrade. I personally like Rode stuff for a solid price/value in the "pro-sumer" range - good options at many prices - but if he's just using the mic to chat with friends or whatever, I say leave it alone.

The headphones are not terrible but could use an upgrade. The suggestion of Sennheiser HD650 is a good one that I would agree with.

The speakers could also use an upgrade. The JBL 308P MKII gets recommended a lot here as a very strong budget option. A step up from that might be one of the Kali options, the LP-8 or IN-8 are both well-regarded at their prices. A big (big) step up would be anything from Neumann like the KH80.

However, I notice that you have already tolerated a subwoofer in your house... so to that end I might suggest getting him the JBL 308P set and a subwoofer that you find suitable for the budget.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Everyone!
Welcome at ASR. :cool:

I just looked up the boxes of his current stuff and He has a Superlux HD681F, Audioengine D1, Logitech Z625, Hyperx Solocast.
The weak link are the Logitech speakers, without doubt. I highly recommend to get active speakers and a calibrated measurement microphone. Here is what i would get as a gamer and music enthusiast myself:
  • The Kali LP-6 2nd (157 452 Forint the pair at Thomann.de, i think shipping is free to Hungary). These will wipe the floor with his speakers in terms of details and power and they will be enjoyed for a very long time. You will have to buy a 3.5mm headphone to RCA cable adapter for 5€ or so to connect his sound output to the speakers.
  • Optional: the MiniDSP UMIK1 measurement microphone (150€ or so). I usually order at MiniDSP.com in Hongkong to Germany, but that may not be possible to Hungary. You will find another online shop, i'm sure.
With the microphone and the speakers he can get near "state-of-the-art" fidelity. The software side is without cost.

Top Bottom