• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's be a little nicer, especially to newcomers

101geo

I'mt new to this board and as I have now retired, I decided to get all my old gear out of storage and get it up and running. After numerous searches trying to find out the current state of play and even more rabbit holes I came accross this place. Wow! I thought my hearing must have been damaged all those years ago because I couldn't tell the difference between cables and power leads et al. One thing puzzles me, I still love listening to vinyl. Maybe one for the experts in psychoacoustics out there?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
I'mt new to this board and as I have now retired, I decided to get all my old gear out of storage and get it up and running. After numerous searches trying to find out the current state of play and even more rabbit holes I came accross this place. Wow! I thought my hearing must have been damaged all those years ago because I couldn't tell the difference between cables and power leads et al. One thing puzzles me, I still love listening to vinyl. Maybe one for the experts in psychoacoustics out there?
Enjoy all 313 pages of glorious vinyl discussion that only occasionally breaks into a Hockey Game! ;)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing puzzles me, I still love listening to vinyl. Maybe one for the experts in psychoacoustics out there?
Several factors at play with Vinyl - for starters:

• Vinyl is more fun and engaging to play because it's a big physical disc. This might influence how closely you listen and what you hear.
  • Vinyl tends to have more THD than other formats. That can actually sound subjectively good in moderate doses.
  • Vinyl masters sometimes have more dynamic range than digital masters, due to (IMO) poor decisions on the part of studios/labels. Which can also sound subjectively better.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and 300 pages later is there an answer. His first post how cruel. :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a neutral observer here. I had lots of vinyl and spent my share of time in the barrel. But you have to move on.

101geo

Enjoy all 313 pages of glorious vinyl discussion that only occasionally breaks into a Hockey Game! ;)

I'm a neutral observer here. I had lots of vinyl and spent my share of time in the barrel. But you have to move on.
Ha
Several factors at play with Vinyl - for starters:

• Vinyl is more fun and engaging to play because it's a big physical disc. This might influence how closely you listen and what you hear.
  • Vinyl tends to have more THD than other formats. That can actually sound subjectively good in moderate doses.
  • Vinyl masters sometimes have more dynamic range than digital masters, due to (IMO) poor decisions on the part of studios/labels. Which can also sound subjectively better.
Thanks for your replies guys. Firstly, I didn't say I preferred vinyl, I have recently started listening to hi-res stuff via a cheap Topping DAC and love that too. What I am slowly realising is that I tend not to think about what the source is and enjoy getting carried away with the music. Am I a failure as an audiophile???

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

I just looked on pp 300 and 301 to see if I could suss out to which response you refer. This one, perhaps?

index.php

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just looked on pp 300 and 301 to see if I could suss out to which response you refer. This one, perhaps?

index.php
My wife won't let me buy that kind cereal. :facepalm:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I a failure as an audiophile???
Hell no. I still have all my LPs but refuse to call it vinyl out of recalcitrance. Music is the key and one can get much better sound and spend much less by learning to read ASR test data. You're retired take your time and if your old gear is rare, funky and weird cool @mhardy6647 might take it off your hands when you get new stuff.

Last edited:

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That thread explores every reason yet discovered for and against vinyl as a source

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
I tend not to think about what the source is and enjoy getting carried away with the music. Am I a failure as an audiophile???
Absolutely not. Enjoy music any darn way that makes you happy. I was in love with my 8-track in my first car. It got junked from a wreck. I went to the Wrecker Lot to retrieve any personal possessions and the only thing I cared about was my 8-track player. I left all sorts of stuff behind because it took me an hour to get the tape player out and I never used it again. But on that cold winter night it was the most precious thing. So whatever medium you choose is your choice and if it makes you happy that’s all that matters. :cool:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to actually revive this topic... but Skynet as depicted in the movies would be a silly joke compared to the reality.

Why bother with slow laser-toting metal halloween skeletons when you can engineer a virus, or bacterium, or fungus, or nanomachines, or tiny drones that can wipe people out with no warning, no cure, and no drama? You know, stuff you'd do if you wanted to exterminate the human race and didn't care if it looked cool on a movie screen?

I do tend to agree with the people who say that AI, if it decides to wipe out humans, would easily succeed.

OK, BACK TO THE TOPIC, SORRY.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well you can set users to ignore if you hover over their name or go to their profile.
Sure. Ignore has its own problems if you're following a conversation, though.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hell no. I still have all my LPs but refuse to call it vinyl out of recalcitrance. Music is the key and one can get much better sound and spend much less by learning to read ASR test data. You're retired take your time and if your old gear is rare, funky and weird cool @mhardy6647 might take it off your hands when you get new stuff.
I am here for you guys! Me and Lamont.

1701478414925.jpeg

sam_adams

Major Contributor

That discussion could have been cut to two pages—at most—if someone had simply posted, "No.", as the second post.

Top Bottom