• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The ultimate low cost solution for room correction?

boatheelmusic

I found this….AKM chips

1711227652523.jpeg

boatheelmusic

Does it have a calibration file?

REW can use this to compensate for the microphone's frequency response characteristics.

This is my UMK-1:

View attachment 356901

This is the MEMS microphone that came with the ARC Studio:

View attachment 356907

Apologies if you know all this. :)

Also, if the microphone didn't come with a calibration file, it might be worth asking Audyssey. The ARC Studio didn't come with a file, but I contacted IK Multimedia and they sent me one.

utahj

It's REW an APO in one solution totally for free using Foodbar2000 specific for tech dummies like me that want a quality measurment in 1 hour without needing a bachelor in audio sceince. Quite underestimated piece of software. https://mathaudio.com/room-eq.htm
Free just for Windows users, yes? Looks like the MathEQ add-on component is not available in foobar2000 for Mac: https://www.foobar2000.org/mac

Can anyone recommend a free software solution for implementing room EQ on a Mac?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Not just measurements - the comments about the software point out things that will be showstoppers for some. I'm not sure how that power consumption gets past the CE requirements, but maybe it's allowed if you don't have an off or standby switch.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Not just measurements - the comments about the software point out things that will be showstoppers for some. I'm not sure how that power consumption gets past the CE requirements, but maybe it's allowed if you don't have an off or standby switch.
Yes, the power usage seems a bit of an over site, however, it doesn't really affect me; I turn everything off when I'm not using it anyway.

Regards the software, it lacks some flexibility, but what is there works well enough, and to some extent, I think that's the point, it's intended to be a simple, guided process for people that don't want to mess about.

As I mentioned earlier, it would be nice if a separate audio interface wasn't necessary for the measurement microphone, but I guess if you started adding more features and functionality to the hardware and software, the price would likely have to go up as well and it would be a different product.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It's aimed at studio users so it's fair to assume people will have a mic input. However from the audio setup screenshot at 6:31 it looks like you can select different input and output devices, so using a USB mic like the Umic-1 or even the HifiBerry should work if you don't have an interface. There's certainly scope for them to make hardware more suited to the hifi market, but that doesn't seem to be their thing. But I'm not the target market anyway - wrong OS.

boatheelmusic

Tried the ARC Studio, could not get it to work with OSX Sonoma on my Mac Mini M2. This appears to be a problem for many users; returned unit.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It's aimed at studio users so it's fair to assume people will have a mic input. However from the audio setup screenshot at 6:31 it looks like you can select different input and output devices, so using a USB mic like the Umic-1 or even the HifiBerry should work if you don't have an interface. There's certainly scope for them to make hardware more suited to the hifi market, but that doesn't seem to be their thing. But I'm not the target market anyway - wrong OS.

I actually have a UMIK-1. However, they don't really sell a version without the microphone:

1712574597075.png

I guess I could have just ignored the included microphone, not bought an audio Interface and used the UMIK-1. In the end, the audio Interface was an extra £109.00, which is not a huge sum in the grand scheme of things; who knows, I might find a use for it, other than room correction measurements, at some point. :)

All in all, I'm pleased with it, and it works well on Windows and it's good to know that the measured performance is fine, but it seems that there's work to do for Mac users. :confused:

Last edited:

muchacho

Hello, I am very interested in the ARC Studio, but one of the applications of use is in the living room, where I have an older but great-playing NAD C320 amplifier. I would need to equalize the acoustics of the room using ARC Studio by connecting it in the amplifier between the PRE OUT outputs and the MAIN IN inputs. The problem could be that the ARC Studio only has balanced XLR connectors and the NAD C320 only unbalanced RCA (cinch) connectors. The question is, would it be possible to use these or similar reductions without problems or risk of damage?
I admit that I asked IK Multimedia support directly, but the answer was like "maybe, probably OK". Like they don't even make this device...?

muchacho

Thank you for the tip! I'm quite good with soldering, so I can actually make such a cable myself... ;-)
Rather, I was worried that there would be no problem at the output when the reducer (or cable) connects the minus of both channels (cold) to ground.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Thank you for the tip! I'm quite good with soldering, so I can actually make such a cable myself... ;-)
Rather, I was worried that there would be no problem at the output when the reducer (or cable) connects the minus of both channels (cold) to ground.

Excellent. That way you can make some nice short ones for the "box" to go between the pre out and main in.

You could use a 2 core and shield balanced cable, or a 2 core unshielded, or one core and shield unbalanced cable:
1712603473505.png

Over a short length, whether the cable is shielded or not, probably won't make any difference, but Mogami 2549 is nice: https://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quality_balanced/

Top Bottom