• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The ultimate low cost solution for room correction?

Eliopolis

Hello to all of you from ASR, I've been following you for about three years and this is my first post...I'm using Google translator, so excuse my English... I wanted to let you know that IK Multimedia has just introduced a new dedicated product to environmental correction, called: "ARC STUDIO". I hope the company sends it to Amirm for a review...it could be the ultimate low cost solution to many of our room acoustic problems... (In fact, I had been looking for a Behringer DEQ 2496 for a long time, but this device seems much better and easier to use.)
Here is the link to the IK Multimedia website page:
ARC-studio.JPG

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Looks interesting.

However, the need for an audio interface for the included microphone is a downside for home users, like me, that don't already have one. A USB microphone, similar to the UMIK-1, or including a microphone input on the box itself, would have been nice.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Welcome to ASR. Nice product you have there. However I note that it is 2 channel only. Are you planning to bring out more models, for example to support 2 channels + subwoofers? What about a version with 6-8 channels that can do active crossovers?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are you planning to bring out more models, for example to support 2 channels + subwoofers? What about a version with 6-8 channels that can do active crossovers?
None of us are affiliated with IK Multimedia, I think.
You'd have to contact them directly for answers.

OP
E

Eliopolis

Welcome to ASR. Nice product you have there. However I note that it is 2 channel only. Are you planning to bring out more models, for example to support 2 channels + subwoofers? What about a version with 6-8 channels that can do active crossovers?
I don't work at IK Multimedia, I simply received their newsletter this morning announcing the new product.

OP
E

Eliopolis

Looks interesting.

However, the need for an audio interface for the included microphone is a downside for home users, like me, that don't already have one. A USB microphone, similar to the UMIK-1, or including a microphone input on the box itself, would have been nice.
Of course, you need an audio interface, but there are some fairly good ones on the market at a modest price. For example, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, MOTU M2 (I own this one). So, if you have a PC, I believe that with around €500 or dollars you can put together a "universal" system, without having to pay for additional software licenses. However, if IK put a direct microphone input on the device, it would be perfect (although I think it would significantly increase the final cost).

Tangband

Major Contributor
A WiiM pro for 150 dollars with its 4 PEQ can be used for corrections of the rooms fundamental resonances thats all below 80 Hz in all normal rooms and entirely dependend on the rooms dimension. In a rectangular room theres only need for 3 frequency corrections for the fundamental room resonances. Everyone that dont own a microphone can calculate where the fundamental resonanses are in frequency, simply by measuring the distance between the walls in the room.

If you read this and may be insecure about the difference between a fundamental resonance in a room and a wall reflection, you need to learn about those differences. Understanding the differences makes it clear why its not a good idea to do fullrange corrections from the listening position.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Of course, you need an audio interface, but there are some fairly good ones on the market at a modest price. For example, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, MOTU M2 (I own this one). So, if you have a PC, I believe that with around €500 or dollars you can put together a "universal" system, without having to pay for additional software licenses. However, if IK put a direct microphone input on the device, it would be perfect (although I think it would significantly increase the final cost).
I did have a look at some audio interfaces.

This one looked interesting: https://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_audio_1.htm

Are the threads on a microphone holder the same as on a photographic tripod?

D

Deleted member 48726

A WiiM pro for 150 dollars with its 4 PEQ can be used for corrections of the rooms fundamental resonances thats all below 80 Hz in all normal rooms and entirely dependend on the rooms dimension. In a rectangular room theres only need for 3 frequency corrections for the fundamental room resonances. Everyone that dont own a microphone can calculate where the fundamental resonanses are in frequency, simply by measuring the distance between the walls in the room.

If you read this and may be insecure about the difference between a fundamental resonance in a room and a wall reflection, you need to learn about those differences. Understanding the differences makes it clear why its not a good idea to do fullrange corrections from the listening position.
That's not nearly good enough for any resemblance of what you would call room correction.
The thing is you might need to correct much higher and many incl. myself gets much better results from correction full range. Regardless what the guy's book says. This book might have had very different conclusions if room correction software was mature when it was written.

Reg. calculated room modes this is true in theory and praxis only when your room is rectangular and closed off. If it has vaultes.ceilings and an opening on one side it isn't accurate enough to do any EQing that's for sure.

You wouldn't in any case know how large corrections to apply from calculations as each speaker has its own response and will excite the modes more or less according to its extension and response.
You need a microphone for room correction.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
it could be the ultimate low cost solution to many of our room acoustic problems

It looks nice – IK's products seem generally to be decent quality – but it's missing any option to control subs which makes it a bit, well, pointless ...

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello to all of you from ASR, I've been following you for about three years and this is my first post...I'm using Google translator, so excuse my English... I wanted to let you know that IK Multimedia has just introduced a new dedicated product to environmental correction, called: "ARC STUDIO". I hope the company sends it to Amirm for a review...it could be the ultimate low cost solution to many of our room acoustic problems... (In fact, I had been looking for a Behringer DEQ 2496 for a long time, but this device seems much better and easier to use.)
Here is the link to the IK Multimedia website page: View attachment 351492
I'd put it in my Apt/Holman's processor loop but would need to sets of "to RCA" adaptor cables (which is fine if pinned correctly).
And since I sometimes use 2 Apt/Holman's (one feeding into the other [to generate quad]):
Quadraphonic Synthesis

With two Holman Preamplifiers, you can synthesis and control four output channels from just two input channels.

Apply all your inputs to the first Holman Preamplifier. Use it for all your tone controls, filters and source and tape selections. Leave its Stereo Mode in Stereo.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to one power amplifier and your two front speakers.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 2 output to any line-level input of the second Holman Preamplifier.

Connect the second Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to the power amplifier for your two rear speakers.

Rotate the second Holman Preamplifier's stereo mode control to L-R, and start by setting it to about unity gain or a bit less, and keep its tone controls flat. The tone and filter settings of the first Holman Preamplifier are fed automatically to the second Holman Preamplifier.

Set balance on the first preamp. Set front-rear balance on the Volume control of the second preamp.

Leave the power switch of the second preamp ON, and plug its power cord into a switched outlet of the first Holman Preamplifier. Now the power is controlled by the first Holman Preamplifier, too

I'd get a Schiit Syn to really play with the analog signal.
That would have me set up all 4 of my Dahlquist M-905's and my pair of subs that handle 20 Hz to 80 Hz. It would be interesting!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Read this and liked what I read. Thanks Eliopolis and Arthur for finding this. So the device seems simple but geared towards someone using a recording room workstation with speakers 1 m from a chair and not speakers in a large room. So would one use both the settings for their listening chair 3 m away and the HT room settings or what? I just use Roon and want to get something more sophisticated. The price, flexibility and simplicity without having to change any audio gear seems very attractive because it goes between amp and speakers.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Read this and liked what I read. Thanks Eliopolis and Arthur for finding this. So the device seems simple but geared towards someone using a recording room workstation with speakers 1 m from a chair and not speakers in a large room. So would one use both the settings for their listening chair 3 m away and the HT room settings or what? I just use Roon and want to get something more sophisticated. The price, flexibility and simplicity without having to change any audio gear seems very attractive because it goes between amp and speakers.

Yes, I don't have an audio interface, so I would need a few extra bits and bobs, but I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this:

1708721977455.png

I currently use a UMIK-1 and REW together with the PEQ settings available either within JRiver, or in my DAC, but this looks like it might be a more guided, easier to implement and a more "set it and forget it" solution.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I would like to see a delete option for the IK-MEMS mic since I already have a UMIK-1. Their support (and web pages) say the UMIK will work ok, but the only mic-delete purchase option seems to be the upgrade (where you need a pre-req product according to the shopping cart).

So far crickets from support on that potential option.
Yes, it seems they don't do an option with everything but the microphone. :confused:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As this thread is titled "the ultimate low cost option" for room correction...

I would like to know if anyone can suggest a better, and lower cost option than MathAudio RoomEQ?

It is absolutely free.
Nada.
(Oddly ignored however it would seem.)
Roon, not so much.
Go figure.
This goes between you amp and speakers after set up, so no computer required to use. Its hardware also, its a low cost hardware and software.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
As this thread is titled "the ultimate low cost option" for room correction...

I would like to know if anyone can suggest a better, and lower cost option than MathAudio RoomEQ?

It is absolutely free.
Nada.
(Oddly ignored however it would seem.)
Roon, not so much.
Go figure.
So is REW: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

However, neither are a guided process. In addition, you need a piece of software/hardware, Foobar, JRiver, PC, Raspberry Pi, or similar for the PEQ settings.

With this solution, you could take your measurements using a PC or Mac, upload them to the unit, then place it between your DAC or preamp, and power amp or powered monitors and it will work.

Top Bottom