• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

MAB

Major Contributor
How do you cut them drivers? Two way or three way?
It's a two-way.
The prototype boxes are modular, I can mix and match. I've tried several midrange configurations. The D2 plus M2 lens plays so low and the 2216Nd plays so high, I haven't found a better match for directivity and response. Not sure really what I intend to improve. If I want more output a 2.5-way configuration sounds great.

Pulkass

Thanks. Very kind of you. You could cut at 500 hertz (?) How the mid highs driver handles frequencies? Has It an internal x over?

Reactions: MAB

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's a two-way.
The prototype boxes are modular, I can mix and match. I've tried several midrange configurations. The D2 plus M2 lens plays so low and the 2216Nd plays so high, I haven't found a better match for directivity and response. Not sure really what I intend to improve. If I want more output a 2.5-way configuration sounds great.
I just caught up with this build here and the other thread.
What an incredible build! The idea that the M2 can be cloned at such a
low cost is staggering. Of course you do have to possess the woodworking skills
and tooling.
I tip my hat to your artistry on this DIY project.
Enjoy them!!!

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks. Very kind of you. You could cut at 500 hertz (?) How the mid highs driver handles frequencies? Has It an internal x over?
The crossover is all DSP (external, using a MiniDSP Flex), except the D2 uses passive filter with complimentary DSP filter, plus the driver's roll-off. You could do this with a nice DSP plate amp, or many other options.
1702847455012.png

I have used the JBL DSP filters exactly using 780Hz cut, and also my own profiles, with great results. I've also used several different values of cap for the passive filter.
Here is one example of a different DSP solution that I cooked up, line on line on top of Erin's nearfield measurement:
index.php

It measures great far-field as well. I have other PEQ versions that match JBL's profile in the crossover region too.

This driver and lens in a 2-way the above 8uF ~780Hz passive filter makes sense - it compliments the driver's natural low-frequency behavior. There are a jumble of measurements and ideas in the D2 thread. I have done lots since, but it has the starting point and some references to other work, mostly by POS at ASR and the Project M2 DIY Thread. I'll try to update it since I have tried a bunch of different DSP and passive configurations.

MAB

Major Contributor
I just caught up with this build here and the other thread.
What an incredible build! The idea that the M2 can be cloned at such a
low cost is staggering. Of course you do have to possess the woodworking skills
and tooling.
I tip my hat to your artistry on this DIY project.
Enjoy them!!!
Thanks a bunch.
I will say, you could hack these cabinets:
index.php

One of the tweeter lenses is mounted in an old subwoofer cabinet from a truck I sold, the other is in a simple frame made from 2x8" scrap. I am happy with how the woofer cabinets turned out, I intended them to be prototypes but they worked out great. I think people could come close with a circular saw and router if I they had to. And a better frame for the lenses can be made even with pretty simple tools.

I am building the final cabinets this winter. Will post some more.

beeface

This question just popped into my head, so I figured I'd ask it here:

The M2/4367 is generally considered to be the best JBL loudspeaker, right?

If that's the case, how is something like the Everest DD67000 justified?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hard to know. This is the only comparison I have found. The DD67000 should hit higher SPLs for people who have really really big rooms. You are also paying for the cabinetry work.

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?39821-JBL-K2-S9900-vs-JBL-4367

The K2 is also in that class where it’s more expensive but may not be meaningfully better, even though its preferred by some.

beeface

Hard to know. This is the only comparison I have found. The DD67000 should hit higher SPLs for people who have really really big rooms. You are also paying for the cabinetry work.

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?39821-JBL-K2-S9900-vs-JBL-4367

The K2 is also in that class where it’s more expensive but may not be meaningfully better, even though its preferred by some.
Appreciate the response

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate the response

There is also this counterpoint which helps put some comparisons into perspective.

The XPL 90 was measured here which offers a bit of a guess of how XPL200 might measure too. I really enjoyed the sound of the XPL90 over the L52 Classic and Studio 620 and Studio 530. The JBL 708P was much more focused in imaging whereas the slightly more diffuse XPL90 made classical music feel more authentic and less “mic’d”.

The Meyer Sound Amie with a Sony UBPX800 and Yamaha CX-A5100 replaced my XPL90/Marantz PM-10/SA-10 setup.

Jonas_h

Have you listened to K2/Everest? There is something about the sound of their 4" compression drivers the M2 just cannot do. I would swap my M2s with K2 S9900 anyday. But from a value perspective I would probably not be willing to pay for the price difference.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Reactions: MAB

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am building the final cabinets this winter. Will post some more.
If I had the room for speakers that size I'd make you an offer on the originals when the finals are finished. :p
It was the trickle-down of the HDI horn technology that inspired me to purchase my HDI-3600's immediately
after they were introduced. I love them. ;)

Top Bottom