• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 87 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 52.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 35 12.1%

• Total voters

Kip

IMO they get a better as they get bigger. I kept upgrading and have ended up with 590s as LCR, Wides, Surrounds, and 580s as Rear Surrounds only due to space limitations causing them to sit on top of my 2 rear subs. If you can fit the 590 I’d go for it. They’re cheap, but they’re BIG.
How did you set your system with the 590 as such a tall center ?

AVKS

So it seems the Monoprice Monolith THX-365C would be the best center for the 590's if I don't want to spend Revel money (and seeing that the Infinity isn't really available anymore)

Keep an eye out for a used Revel C32 - they appear fairly regularly on eBay, USAudiomart, etc. It's the prior-generation Performa center and is a fantastic sonic match for the 590s for (typically) less than the 365c.

andrewskaterrr

How did you set your system with the 590 as such a tall center ?
literally laying on it's side under the tv lol. It's ugly but it works well enough. It's offset to the side to that the tweeter is closer to the middle.

goldark

Forum Donor
Would the Revel F35/F36 be a significant upgrade from the 590? Or more of a lateral/incremental upgrade?

I've read conflicting reports saying how the 530 is on the same level as the M16 (comparing the bookshelf speakers in the same line as the towers) and some saying it's a significant step up going to the Revels. Thinking about the upgrade path from the Studio 5 but want to make sure it would be worth it.

andrewskaterrr

Would the Revel F35/F36 be a significant upgrade from the 590? Or more of a lateral/incremental upgrade?

I've read conflicting reports saying how the 530 is on the same level as the M16 (comparing the bookshelf speakers in the same line as the towers) and some saying it's a significant step up going to the Revels. Thinking about the upgrade path from the Studio 5 but want to make sure it would be worth it.
Based off ASR reviews, I would imagine the M16 are better than the 530s, and I'd say the 590 vs F35/6 would lean towards the Revels. I've been tempted to buy the M16s to try out, but decided against spending more money for now lol.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based off ASR reviews, I would imagine the M16 are better than the 530s, and I'd say the 590 vs F35/6 would lean towards the Revels. I've been tempted to buy the M16s to try out, but decided against spending more money for now lol.
I'd tend to think the Revels are a bit better, but not by a lot.

AVKS

I moved from F35s to Studio 590s, in one of the same spaces where I had the 530s and M16s as well, and am much happier. IMO no, it is another lateral move and even a downgrade in some ways. The Revels have a slight edge in mids and JBL slightly leaner out of the box, plainly seen in the measurements, but I find the 580s (I have in my living room) and 590s to be much more dynamic and holographic in my spaces.

Theater-like dynamics were the big reason I tried the 590s in the first place and even 2 years later now I'm still in the 'honeymoon phase'; the 590s were absolutely transformational to my home theater experience. I've also been listening to more music on them of late and greatly enjoy that as well, easily just as much as the Revels. Again, there are differences as seen in measurements, but it's ultimately nominal IMO. Also, cost was never a factor in my decisions, as I got both my M16s and F35s for 60% off of retail at the time, which was 10% lower than it is now, brand new from a dealer.

Long story short, I enjoy the JBLs significantly more in my spaces then I did the F35s, which are no slouches in their own right. If you listen to primarily music then you may end up leaning Revel, but IME it will be way more alike than different vs 590s. If you already have 590s you will need to spend much more to get something clearly and markedly better, and even then it may not be much better in every specific way.

e1us1v3

I went from the 590s to F35s and wouldn't say it was much of an upgrade. To be fair, I never had them in the same space(different houses). The 590s are probably better suited to my current space than F35s but I'm using the same pre-amp/amp.

I agree with AVKS, as I also enjoyed the 590s more. Both are/were used in the main living rooms for movies/music and paired with 15" HSU subs. I found myself more content listening to music on the 590s and not having the need to turn on the 2 channel system in the other room. Whereas with the F35s now, I hardly use them just for music.

In terms of looks and build quality though the Revels are miles ahead of the JBLs. The footprint is way smaller and a better fit for most living rooms.

AVKS

I went from the 590s to F35s and wouldn't say it was much of an upgrade. To be fair, I never had them in the same space(different houses). The 590s are probably better suited to my current space than F35s but I'm using the same pre-amp/amp.

I agree with AVKS, as I also enjoyed the 590s more. Both are/were used in the main living rooms for movies/music and paired with 15" HSU subs. I found myself more content listening to music on the 590s and not having the need to turn on the 2 channel system in the other room. Whereas with the F35s now, I hardly use them just for music.

In terms of looks and build quality though the Revels are miles ahead of the JBLs. The footprint is way smaller and a better fit for most living rooms.
That is a good point about the finish of the Revels vs the JBLs - IMO that's a chunk of what you're paying for with that increased cost. The Studio 5s have polarizing aesthetics and are below the Revels in terms of finish, but that's accounted for with the JBL 'sale' prices. Sonically, they are on pretty even footing.

Filio45

Interesting feedback. Shame how seldom the 590 turns up in the UK, if at all. The 680, 690 & 698 are commonplace though

mrmeng430

Have 2 Aiyima A07 Max amps with both 48V 5A PSU on each in mono mode, connected to a pair of JBL 590. WOW, sounds wonderful now, sound stage, stereo separation, bass, treble are all much better/clearer. Heard things with the music from the 80s that I've not heard before. But maybe it's all in my head. YMMV.

C. Cook

Came up earlier in the thread, but yes, I also have a good "phantom center" effect in my living room with two JBL 4349s for L/R toed in slightly and angled up according to whatever the native slope is on the stands I bought for them from Deer Creek, back when they were still selling them. Had equally good luck with the 590s in a previous system at our old house. I don't need a sub either with the size of the 4349 woofers and the super low distortion bass (with a very powerful amp pushing them), which is frankly amazing even in our large living room with vaulted ceilings. I understand that for really good, crisp dialog a center speaker is probably the right way to go, but I don't want to get into the X.1 stuff all over again, and I've never liked or appreciated rear or Atmos much so...to each their own I guess.

Top Bottom