• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 590 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 87 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 52.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 35 12.1%

• Total voters

Kip

I most, if not all movies the center is a dedicated channel w/ its own content and it is a huge portion of the sound of a multichannel set up. Are you downmxing a 5.1 input to a 2.0 set up?
Has anyone shown in a test that using a phantom center setup misses anything ?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It depends. We know the head shadow effect, but presumably the mastering/mixing engineer had the same issue to.

I will say that a really good center channel means that I have no problem with hearing dialogue in Christopher Nolan movies. I am not sure why people say they need subtitles and have trouble hearing dialogue in modern movies but I suspect it’s an evolution of sound bars/TV sound and that Christopher Nolan “intentionally” makes dialogue hard at times, but since he was part of the committee that was behind the Directors Guild of America’s new screening theater and they chose Meyer Sound for the audio (and previously ran JBL professional) that his standard of “hard” is still when driven by very premium cinema speakers.

Kip

I just ran a 5.1 test with a setup of an android STB optical output to an aiyima T8 Pro then into a A8 pro. As the test went through all the speaker outputs I didn't miss any of them outputted to Left Right or both, (phantom center)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on whether you're in the prime seat or care about guests.... I still prefer a good center speaker generally.

Haint

In the center prime seat, not really. A lower quality, or poorly placed center will typically sound worse than a prime seat phantom. Side seats however will hear sounds weighted/pulled towards the closest speaker unless you're sitting quite far a way in a lively room (which will increasingly produce a more diffuse sound). Even with 3 identical bookshelves though, the center will still sound very different from the mains by virtue of wildly different room interactions (i.e. it's usually much further from side walls, often placed lower, or inside cabinet alcoves, etc...).

Kip

Depends on whether you're in the prime seat or care about guests.... I still prefer a good center speaker generally.
Lots of MTM centers have vast weaknesses in prime versus guest listening positions. It is why I prefer to try for some tower as a center.
Doesn't a phantom center tend to have a less node prone performance width than LCR Setups. I say this assuming the L R cast a nice wide stage.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of MTM centers have vast weaknesses in prime versus guest listening positions. It is why I prefer to try for some tower as a center.
Doesn't a phantom center tend to have a less node prone performance width than LCR Setups. I say this assuming the L R cast a nice wide stage.
Sure, ideally you have identical speakers across the front; a typical center for horizontal placement starts out as a compromise....especially one that's only mtm.

FWIW this article discusses various center designs https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs-1

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ran a 5.1 test with a setup of an android STB optical output to an aiyima T8 Pro then into a A8 pro. As the test went through all the speaker outputs I didn't miss any of them outputted to Left Right or both, (phantom center)
Are you feeding the Aiyima from your AVR? If so the AVR is downmixing all 5 channels into 2. Not saying you won't hear what's designed for the center but if center channel speakers weren't an improvement from 2 channel no one would buy or use them.

Kip

Are you feeding the Aiyima from your AVR? If so the AVR is downmixing all 5 channels into 2. Not saying you won't hear what's designed for the center but if center channel speakers weren't an improvement from 2 channel no one would buy or use them.
I am just saying phantom center is an option. I tried to identify anything missing and didn't find it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am just saying phantom center is an option. I tried to identify anything missing and didn't find it.
Just for your seat in the right place?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would you know if you haven't a true 5.1 set up and listened to it?

Kip

How would you know if you haven't a true 5.1 set up and listened to it?
Why would you assume that I don't ? Why aren't you familiar with tests that independently run each speaker. They are all over youtube.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you assume that I don't ? Why aren't you familiar with tests that independently run each speaker. They are all over youtube.
I'm confused. Didn't you say you were using a 2.1 or 2.0 system? If so do you also have the ability to set up a true 5.1 set up? If not then you won't/couldn't know what you're missing.

Kip

I'm confused. Didn't you say you were using a 2.1 or 2.0 system? If so do you also have the ability to set up a true 5.1 set up? If not then you won't/couldn't know what you're missing.
I'm confused. Where did I say my 2.0 was the only system I have access to. On the contrary. I ran the same available 5.1 test on BOTH systems.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm confused. Where did I say my 2.0 was the only system I have access to. On the contrary. I ran the same available 5.1 test on BOTH systems.
My bad. I was originally responding @C. Cook and got off on a tangent. I believe it was he who had a 2.0 system. So since you have both systems do you listen w/o a center watching movies vs the 5.1 system?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't miss any of them outputted to Left Right or both, (phantom center)

That’s a good sign of a good room and good speaker setup for that room. Congrats!

For me, it took a long time to find something that worked better than phantom center. Since I use a LCD TV as opposed to a projector, center channels gave me the perception of voices being too low. Receivers with center lifts that mix in my front heights were better.

I eventually mounted a center channel above the TV and it actually works better because most movies frame people center of the screen to the top of the screen.

The center is use is the Meyer Sound Amie for what it’s worth so I have it angled down toward me.

Kip

My bad. I was originally responding @C. Cook and got off on a tangent. I believe it was he who had a 2.0 system. So since you have both systems do you listen w/o a center watching movies vs the 5.1 system?
No I have one. It's a Sony STR-DH790 with LR JBL studio 590 and SVS ultra center. I did the test on my 2-channel rack because I have never encountered a situation where the correct settings on an AVR didn't allow comprehensive play of all channels despite the media sources designation. In this case, it was only LR fed from optical to the Aiyima T8 Consider all the speakers and speaker testing that evaluates a center image with only a 2-channel left and right. Once you establish that the media cannot get you to lose a speaker, then you know you wont miss a channel.

andrewskaterrr

Even within the same family, the 590 has a significantly lower preference score than the 530. Does anyone have an idea if the 570 and 580 more closely follow the 530 or 590's measurements?
I own the the 520c, 530, 570, 580, 590. I tested the 530s and 590s next to each other. The 590 sounds better all around, even though the treble is slightly boosted more. I use the 530s as my pc desktop monitors.

goldark

Forum Donor
I own the the 520c, 530, 570, 580, 590. I tested the 530s and 590s next to each other. The 590 sounds better all around, even though the treble is slightly boosted more. I use the 530s as my pc desktop monitors.
How would you rank the 580 and 570 in that group?

andrewskaterrr

How would you rank the 580 and 570 in that group?
IMO they get a better as they get bigger. I kept upgrading and have ended up with 590s as LCR, Wides, Surrounds, and 580s as Rear Surrounds only due to space limitations causing them to sit on top of my 2 rear subs. If you can fit the 590 I’d go for it. They’re cheap, but they’re BIG.

Reactions: Kip
Top Bottom