• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL D2430K Measurements

MAB

Major Contributor
I have been interested in the Project M2 DIY Thread for some time. I helped a friend install a fabulous home theater with 708i, but I have been fascinated by the M2. Recent reviews of the 708i were interesting, especially given my positive impressions of the speaker. Erin's review of the M2 is also interesting. The M2 and 708 series edit: share the same use different compression tweeter (and lens) and in both reviews the there was an odd increase in distortion, with a resonance peak just below 2kHz and rising distortion above 5kHz or so:
index.php

Erin's review of the M2 shows almost identical distortion. I've tried to listen for the rising distortion on the 708i, but either can't or we got too terrified with the sheer volume. I do think distortion is sometimes overblown, even if interesting.;)

So I just got a pair or D2430K drivers and the M2 Lens. Perhaps I can spend some idle time doing distortion measurements!
The drivers are large and dangerously magnetic:oops::
1683245043053.jpeg

I've had a smaller CRT TV set.:cool:
1683245198620.jpeg

I got it propped up on my turntable, which is barely adequate:
1683245271006.jpeg

First, I measured the tweeter in the lens with and without the crossover filters:
1683245917506.png

I was hesitant to crank the tweeter without the crossover filters, even with a protection capacitor. But you can see some of the features of the driver with and without the crossover filters.

With the crossover but no DSP, at moderate volume, I don't see strong evidence of the 2nd harmonic at just below 2kHz, and no evidence of the rising distortion at higher frequency. The distortion is dBr in this case... But even the absolute distortion is not showing the same characteristic as in the reviews.
1683246437256.png

Since the speaker isn't useful without PEQ, I applied similar settings to the the JBL M2 Crossover doc, using a MiniDSP Flex Eight. This can be done with a variety of DSP solutions.
A great starting point is the very detailed JBL M2 Crossover doc produced by @pos
You can see how JBL solved the response curve:
1683250289239.png

Using this as a starting point, I was able to get the following response in a few tries (Erin's measurements adjusted to scale on top, my measurement is the dotted line):

1683247330264.png

I did this with the following DSP. Since I am not integrating the woofer yet, I ditched some of the filters. I noticed that the 7.1kHz shelf derived from JBL's DSP is low enough and wide enough to create some overshoot in the midrange, which has another filter to compensate. So I made some changes, and perhaps compensated for my driver's characteristics... Starting from POS' guide and the measured response I got, the EQ was easy and straightforward.
The settings I got on the MiniDSP are as follows:
1683248353052.png

In any case, the result seems very useable. So I turned the volume up and gave it a go, here is with the mic about 2 meters away:
1683248694104.png

That was loud!:eek: I can see a hint of the peak at distortion at 1.6kHz, but not nearly the magnitude in the reviews. Perhaps my measurement gear is not adequate to resolve. Perhaps there is something in the full integration of the speaker. Again, none of this distortion seems to be a problem, just curious.

Lastly I did a horizontal spin:
1683249788911.png

1683249815555.png

1683249831326.png

I can't wait to get woofers!:)

Attachments

• 1683249706277.png
    1683249706277.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

SDC

Great review!

I'm jealous you were able to get the m2 waveguide.

But 708 uses different driver. Single diaphragm vs double of m2.

And Umik(and similar) are not good for high level distortion measurement. I think U need earthworks!

Edit: AFAIK yellow d2 is for 4367. And Erins measurement shows clean -50dB of 2nd harmonics in 4367. So no real problem there IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB
OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Great review!

I'm jealous you were able to get the m2 waveguide.

But 708 uses different driver. Single diaphragm vs double of m2.
Hey, thanks for the correction! Yes, you are right the D2409H on the 708 vs. the D2430K.
Even more interesting. 708i vs. M2 distortion, same peak... same magnitude (40dB down).
1683252087440.png

Perhaps there is an intrinsic of the compression driver.

SDC

Hey, thanks for the correction! Yes, you are right the D2409H on the 708 vs. the D2430K.
Even more interesting. 708i vs. M2 distortion, same peak... same magnitude (40dB down).
View attachment 283585

Perhaps there is an intrinsic of the compression driver.

Wish I didn't erase the measurement of my JBL 4inch comp... would have been a interesting compression.

But what I can say is rising distortion in high frequency is from all the EQ we are adding for flat fr and little drop at the end is by resonance of the diaphragm making more output leading to less distortion in 2nd but more in higher order HD. (Please Correct me if I'm wrong)

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
And Umik(and similar) are not good for high level distortion measurement. I think U need earthworks!
Yah, I should try that. I also have used a few other mics with various interfaces, and have decent results. But point taken, I am likely not equipped to make a super-fine distortion measurement. And like you point out this is a super low distortion result. I'm not used to being able to play treble this loud and clean. It really is terrifying.
Wish I didn't erase the measurement of my JBL 4inch comp... would have been a interesting compression.

But what I can say is rising distortion in high frequency is from all the EQ we are adding for flat fr and little drop at the end is by resonance of the diaphragm making more output leading to less distortion in 2nd but more in higher order HD. (Please Correct me if I'm wrong)
Yes. The rising distortion profile seems to follow the DSP PEQ gain.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Low order harmonic distortion is almost always inaudible due to perceptual masking threshold. In fact, distortion becomes less noticeable at high volumes, which is fortunate for us. You can safely ignore the second and third order distortion.

When selecting a crossover point, I check the time domain performance, and high order distortion (5-9th). If the burst decay and HOHD look clean, I use whichever slope gives the best directivity match.

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Low order harmonic distortion is almost always inaudible due to perceptual masking threshold. In fact, distortion becomes less noticeable at high volumes, which is fortunate for us. You can safely ignore the second and third order distortion.

When selecting a crossover point, I check the time domain performance, and high order distortion (5-9th). If the burst decay and HOHD look clean, I use whichever slope gives the best directivity match.
By your higher order HD criteria, the driver seems to lose composure at ~800Hz:
1683348025126.png

This is pushing the driver fairly hard, even then the distortion is low. I think this is a very useable result.

alex-z

By your higher order HD criteria, the driver seems to lose composure at ~800Hz:
View attachment 283812

There may be a small resonance present at 800Hz, but don't worry about it. It has a narrow bandwidth and is 75-80dB below the input signal, so it should only be audible under unrealistic test conditions, such as running a 500-1000Hz sweep for a long duration.

For such problems, I check if there is an easy/cheap fix, such as damping the back of the horn structure. If not, ignore it and enjoy the music.

Last edited:
OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
There may be a small resonance present at 800Hz, but I wouldn't worry about it. It has a narrow bandwidth and is 75-80dB below the input signal, so it should only be audible under unrealistic test conditions, such as running a 500-1000Hz sweep for a long duration.

For such problems, I check if there is an easy/cheap fix, such as damping the back of the horn structure. If not, ignore it and enjoy the music.
Yes, I keep saying, this is incredibly low distortion, at really high volume.:)

Agreed, the horn may be resonating, spray of harmonics. Most of the horn is well damped and potted in epoxy, except for the throat. Again, I'm not particularly worried, but interested.
I won't be enjoying the music quite yet, I still need to build the rest of the speaker!;) And tinker around while I'm at it. Thanks for your advice!

DualTriode

Hello @MAB,

I like your turntable, I am going to steal your idea of using a photo Tripod.

Thanks DT

index.php

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Hello @MAB,

I like your turntable, I am going to steal your idea of using a photo Tripod.

Thanks DT

index.php
It works well for small speakers.
This is at the limit of what the ball-head can do without slipping!
I think a video head would work better, or a simple panning-base:
Or even better, a motorized and indexed panning base:
Either is less than a ball-head solid enough to hold.

Ultimately, these are all limited to modest sized speakers.

DualTriode

I purchased a used one GITZO 1570 tripod head to measure tweeters and mid-range drivers.

g1570m.jpg

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I purchased a used one GITZO 1570 tripod head to measure tweeters and mid-range drivers.

g1570m.jpg
Very nice, I think that may be better than an equivalent ball-head, probably handle a modest 2-way/bookshelf speaker as well. Easier to operate with the box mounted on top.
I did horizontal and vertical measurements with this precarious arrangement:
1687208330222.png

Not ideal, but I did avoid disaster.
I'm using a shop-stool and a foot-stool now, possibly less ideal:
index.php

paulgyro

Very nice, I think that may be better than an equivalent ball-head, probably handle a modest 2-way/bookshelf speaker as well. Easier to operate with the box mounted on top.
I did horizontal and vertical measurements with this precarious arrangement:
View attachment 293551
Not ideal, but I did avoid disaster.
I'm using a shop-stool and a foot-stool now, possibly less ideal:
index.php
What is the large woofer that you are using? Where did you purchase the JBL parts? They are hard to come by these days.

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
What is the large woofer that you are using? Where did you purchase the JBL parts? They are hard to come by these days.
Hi, all the components are available from Speaker Exchange.
The woofer is the JBL 2216Nd:

The lens, driver, and adapter plate are available too.

It is a very satisfying speaker. I will never regret building these. I am working on better cabinets now.

Top Bottom