• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is so great but it's a bit time consuming to go through all the individual posts to find out which ones are the top performing carts. Has anyone extracted a top 5 list yet?
Have you used the index?

morillon

Major Contributor
Actually where do I find it?
sweep approaches, even if fundamentally the most interesting, don't really help with "ranking", that's not really the idea... and so much the better
if the idea is “so what should I buy?” that's not really the spirit of all this... it seems to me...
;-)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor
This thread is so great but it's a bit time consuming to go through all the individual posts to find out which ones are the top performing carts. Has anyone extracted a top 5 list yet?

It's a tricky proposition also due to the variables involved. Particularly for MM, what may be a great cart when loaded correctly may not work for some if they can't load it the same way. The info provided here is just one piece of the puzzle.

aaaakkkk

ive accepted that this particular stylus is bright. what i was curious about was why the 2nd harmonic distortion in the high end is higher on the measurements with the two metal capped generators when compared to the plastic bodied signet generator. while i tested the mlx stylus in the 150mlx and 150ea bodies i should probably check it in the 150sa body as well to see if the trend holds. i wish i had some other plastic capped generators.

Can you see how many plates the core in a signet consists of? Is he the same as in series 150-440-540? Maybe the bodies of the cartridges themselves have a different inclination relative to the shell?

aaaakkkk

I have to say that I very much disagree with this sentiment. In fact this thread was started on the belief in the consistency of companies such as Audio-Technica. See the measurement proof of concept post here for examples: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...tridge-measurement-library.46108/post-1643773

Certainly there can issues like channel inductance differences. (At least that what I think you are getting at, not sure if the string tension you are bringing up is directly connected, excuse me if I missed your main point.) In fact I tried blaming my bad results with the AT150MLX on just that. Again, this cartridge seems to drive people crazy, lol. See this post:

But JP showed that overall that cartridge was quite consistent. He measured 6 of these:

We are simply not seeing this issue much in the near 100 measurements posted so far. I measure this for every cartridge and mention it if it could be an issue (see Grace cartridge). But I am starting to believe that some eras/manufacturers were worse than others. I have a NOS Technics coming up in a few weeks that is showing an anomoly and I expect it to look similar to JPs' cartridges of that era, which have showed disappointing results. But they are old cartridges and that's a part of the game.

To me there is a big issue with that stylus whether people choose to believe it or not. The measurements are not lying. The fact that there are also more normal results with other styli seems to say that this is not a tonearm compatibility issue. This was a used stylus --pre-owned NOS, but was it really??-- , so thinking the manufacturer is at fault before anything else would not be my first thought. That resonance should be very audible. Perhaps that's why it was sold. Maybe it's a retip gone bad, who knows? More global pictures including the cantilever could help.

What I see is well within a reasonable margin of error. It could simply be set-up. You'd need more samples to know for sure that there is a difference.

Variation in cartridge body parameters, has a greater effect on the balance of the cartridge channels and on the power of its output. Distortion is affected by the replacement unit, damper + cantilever Perhaps this particular replacement block on the signalet is installed at a more correct angle than 150. It seems incredible to me that an iron case can affect distortion. By the way, this piece of hardware is attached to the body of the cartridge through a plastic gasket.
As soon as I have time I will make a report on 540ml with different string tensions.
It might be interesting to know. that in the 150, 440 series the string was metal. in the 540 series the string is plastic.

OP
USER

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
880p Marketing.png

I was excited to post my first truly vintage cartridge measurements for a NOS Empire 880P early next year. Measurements are available for many of the early stereo cartridges but most were taken with a CBS STR-100. I've personally done everything I can with modern cartridges (some interesting and historically important ones coming up this month) so this is one way to keep things interesting. But...

rectangle_New-Out99995.jpg
rectangle_New-Out99994.jpg

And...

rectangle_New-Out99999.jpg

OP
USER

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yup. EPC-205CII-L. Hope it has held up.

I know the question was for JP but I've been playing with (super lazy) focus stacking too this past week. The ones for the Empire are the result of stacking two photos. They would look like the older Technics ones otherwise. It helps I think.

JP, I think you can see pollen on the diamond tip on yours. Very nice picture.

JP

Major Contributor
know the question was for JP
Don't think so.

I think you can see pollen on the diamond tip on yours.

Ya, I'm not very good at getting them clean. Anyone recognize this cut? **EDIT I know it's an MR/ML but it pre-dates todays offerings so wondering any specifics that may be known.

fin6-SharpenAI-Focus.jpeg

Last edited:

narud

joseph long posted this over on his instagram recently. a supposed .2x.7 on a 310mc wearing like a line contact.

Reactions: JP

JP

Major Contributor
joseph long posted this over on his instagram recently. a supposed .2x.7 on a 310mc wearing like a line contact.

I reached out to him.

Looks like Microridge/Line/SAS. I never manage to get this quality photo , what do you do?

Yes but I don’t think just like a current MR/ML. I’ll have to throw a SAS under the scope.

Those are just microscope shots that are stacked and hit with Topaz SharpenAI. Hardest part is figuring out lighting.

aaaakkkk

View attachment 331866
I was excited to post my first truly vintage cartridge measurements for a NOS Empire 880P early next year. Measurements are available for many of the early stereo cartridges but most were taken with a CBS STR-100. I've personally done everything I can with modern cartridges (some interesting and historically important ones coming up this month) so this is one way to keep things interesting. But...

View attachment 331868View attachment 331867

And...

View attachment 331869
I wonder how these holes in the cantilever will affect its resonance :)

Top Bottom