• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope - zero signs of work and it was factory sealed. I've about a dozen more I can check.

So you think it's a Namiki/Orbray?
Not shure about all of the types and who made them but microlinear, microridge is probably just different name of the same stylus. SAS might be slightly different but can’t say there is anything significant.

JP

Major Contributor
Whose MR/ML cut it is is what I'm curious about.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whose MR/ML cut it is is what I'm curious about.
Namiki patented it so I think it must be Namiki.

JP

Major Contributor
Namiki patented it so I think it must be Namiki.

Hmm. The product launch brochure does call it a "Linear Elliptical" as opposed to 0.2x0.7 like they spec others (305MCMK2).

Actually, in the brochure they pasted over 0.2x0.7 with "Linear Elliptical", and pasted over another section with this (translated):

"Adopting a high-performance linear ellipticel needle with 0.065 mm square ultra-light and ultra-precision processing polishing. The precision finish, which was considered impossible with conventional record needles, is further finished in an ultra-precision special shape, and there is little change in curvature due to abrasion. You can maintain the initial performance as it is. ( Conventional needles tend to increase the curvature due to wear and their performance.) In addition, due to the fine precision curve rate radius, there are few changes in frequency characteristics and strains between the periphery of the record and the inside, and the contact with the record structure is in the treble range by adopting linear eliptical needles with a linear and elliptical shape. Even for loud sounds with a dynamic range, it is possible to play with less strain."

Sure sounds like a marketing description for a MicroRidge. Seems no one ever noticed before...?

Last edited:

mglobe

Forum Donor
Ok, so this is my second set of measurements, and first time publishing. Brand new Ortofon 2m Black

Ortofon 2m Black_130pf 47ohm_CBS STR-100.png

Ortofon 2m Black Rega RB303_130pf  47ohm_CBS STR-100.png

I'm capturing with a MiniDSP Flex DL. I tried to convert back to Flex and measure at 96khz, but couldn't get it to work. As a result, recordings are at 44. Definitely user error somewhere.
I'm assuming 80fp from cartridge/cables, and 50pf from my Apt Holman, which is the lowest setting it has. Higher values didn't improve things.
Channel mismatch was also there with the previous cartridge. I hope someone else measures this same cartridge so we have a comparison.

Last edited:

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Ok, so this is my second set of measurements, and first time publishing. Brand new Ortofon 2m Black

View attachment 332102

I'm capturing with a MiniDSP Flex DL. I tried to convert back to Flex and measure at 96khz, but couldn't get it to work. As a result, recordings are at 44. Definitely user error somewhere.
I'm assuming 80fp from cartridge/cables, and 50pf from my Apt Holman, which is the lowest setting it has. Higher values didn't improve things.
Channel mismatch was also there with the previous cartridge. I hope someone else measures this same cartridge so we have a comparison.
Great stuff, thanks . Can you please also plot in plot style 3 so we get zoomed in on frequency response?
What turntable and arm, ask since the arm seem to be good ( even response below 1k)

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. The product launch brochure does call it a "Linear Elliptical" as opposed to 0.2x0.7 like they spec others (305MCMK2).

Actually, in the brochure they pasted over 0.2x0.7 with "Linear Elliptical", and pasted over another section with this (translated):

"Adopting a high-performance linear ellipticel needle with 0.065 mm square ultra-light and ultra-precision processing polishing. The precision finish, which was considered impossible with conventional record needles, is further finished in an ultra-precision special shape, and there is little change in curvature due to abrasion. You can maintain the initial performance as it is. ( Conventional needles tend to increase the curvature due to wear and their performance.) In addition, due to the fine precision curve rate radius, there are few changes in frequency characteristics and strains between the periphery of the record and the inside, and the contact with the record structure is in the treble range by adopting linear eliptical needles with a linear and elliptical shape. Even for loud sounds with a dynamic range, it is possible to play with less strain."

Sure sounds like a marketing description for a MicroRidge. Seems no one ever noticed before...?
Yes they all called it different names. MicroLinear, microridge, SAS. The picture definitely shows a Namiki microlinear/ridge/sas.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Great stuff, thanks . Can you please also plot in plot style 3 so we get zoomed in on frequency response?
What turntable and arm, ask since the arm seem to be good ( even response below 1k)
Done. I have equipinfo filled out, but I can't figure out how to get it to be included. There seems to be a character limit on infoline.

WRT the tonearm, as I added in the title, it's a RB303 arm on a Rega RP3 TT. I bought this cartridge after my disappointment with the performance of my Clearaudio Concept V2 (purchased before I discovered ASR). I didn't want to go through the process of shopping for a V15V5 and stylus with uncertainty of the health of the cartridge. I debated between a Hana MC and the Ortofon MM, and really wanted to try an MC with my Apt, but the Ortofon matched up much better with my tonearm.

With some help from @JP and @USER it wasn't too terribly difficult to make these measurements. I'm good with computers, and make a living interpreting data with them, but I'm no programmer. I had never done anything with Python. It took some trial and error, and bit of help, but I ultimately got a useful result. If others following this thread have considered trying to run the script on their setup, please do it. There are folks here that can help you (even me now).

mglobe

Forum Donor
Ortofon 2m Black_280pf 47ohm_CBS STR-100.png

Here's what extra loading does to the response. I decided I preferred having the response flat to 10khz (well within what I can hear) over less of a peak at 20khz but more rise at 10khz.

JP

Major Contributor
I have equipinfo filled out, but I can't figure out how to get it to be included.

It's there - bottom left. You may want to update infoline - I think you mean 47kohm (or 47k), not 47ohm. If you use the beta script you can choose plot style 4 to get the dual-axis and zoomed plots on one image.

mglobe

Forum Donor
It's there - bottom left. You may want to update infoline - I think you mean 47kohm (or 47k), not 47ohm. If you use the beta script you can choose plot style 4 to get the dual-axis and zoomed plots on one image.
Thanks, I completely missed it, and yes that's an oversight on my part. Definitely 47kohm. As a physics major you'd think I would catch that. I may try the beta script. I like the combined plots and was wondering how that was done.

Reactions: JP

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Done. I have equipinfo filled out, but I can't figure out how to get it to be included. There seems to be a character limit on infoline.

WRT the tonearm, as I added in the title, it's a RB303 arm on a Rega RP3 TT. I bought this cartridge after my disappointment with the performance of my Clearaudio Concept V2 (purchased before I discovered ASR). I didn't want to go through the process of shopping for a V15V5 and stylus with uncertainty of the health of the cartridge. I debated between a Hana MC and the Ortofon MM, and really wanted to try an MC with my Apt, but the Ortofon matched up much better with my tonearm.

With some help from @JP and @USER it wasn't too terribly difficult to make these measurements. I'm good with computers, and make a living interpreting data with them, but I'm no programmer. I had never done anything with Python. It took some trial and error, and bit of help, but I ultimately got a useful result. If others following this thread have considered trying to run the script on their setup, please do it. There are folks here that can help you (even me now).
Welcom to the club,@USER helped me a lot getting it working too. Very good to see more contributions to increase the number cartridge plots. I was waiting for the Ortofon 2M black you posted. I was hoping for a less rise at 20k- not that I can hear it but still. If you make/get some loading plugs you can try with lower resistance to counteract the rise. You may need more capacitance combined with lower R.

VinyLuke

Hi All,
I did measure my Shure V15-V with Jico SAS/B both channels:
Shure V15 V-MR + Jico SAS-B_23kΩ_380pF_1.50g (with brush)_CBS STR-100.png

Crosstalk is weird, but I noticed that on other carts I have similar results with it. Test record is CBS STR-100 Issue 3 and its warped.
Also does distortion rise in 10kHz mean that stylus is worn?
Once I get my heands on Clearaudio CA-TRS-1007 I will redo my measurments.

VinyLuke

And now for something completely different:
UNITRA MF-104 - Polish cartridge based on Tenorel T2001. Stylus is NOS - bonded spherical on aluminium cantilever.
Loading is matched to manufacturer recomendations. Capacitance value means phono loading + cables & tonearm.

UNITRA MF-104_48kΩ_400pF_1.50g_CBS STR-100.png

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor

Do you have shims to get correct VTA ? Rega arms are Made for Rega cartridges and does not fit 2M optimally it Seems. Ortofon just released 2MR for Rega arms without VTA skims.

Top Bottom