• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

mglobe

Forum Donor
Do you have shims to get correct VTA ? Rega arms are Made for Rega cartridges and does not fit 2M optimally. Ortofon just released 2MR for Rega arms without VTA skims.
There’s a shim installed on my TT. By visual inspection the VTA looks good but I’m open to suggestions.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I was told Rega arms needs to be raised 4mm with 2M. I do not have Rega myself.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I am not an expert ,,,,, but your left and right channel is very similar/ parallel , a sign of a good set up I think

mglobe

Forum Donor
I am not an expert ,,,,, but your left and right channel is very similar/ parallel , a sign of a good set up I think
I'm right there with you on the first comment, and was thinking the same about the second. My results are pretty close to what lowbeats got, so I'm going to assume they know what they are doing and I got lucky.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so this is my second set of measurements, and first time publishing. Brand new Ortofon 2m Black

View attachment 332102
View attachment 332293
I'm capturing with a MiniDSP Flex DL. I tried to convert back to Flex and measure at 96khz, but couldn't get it to work. As a result, recordings are at 44. Definitely user error somewhere.
I'm assuming 80fp from cartridge/cables, and 50pf from my Apt Holman, which is the lowest setting it has. Higher values didn't improve things.
Channel mismatch was also there with the previous cartridge. I hope someone else measures this same cartridge so we have a comparison.
These Ortofons usually like lower R.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the choice of 47k and 100k on my pre. Is there a way to get lower than that?
Using your pre you would need some loading plugs. A 82 kOhm resistor in a splitter would give you 30k, using the 47 kOhm setting of the pre.

Last edited:

mglobe

Forum Donor
Using your pre you would need some loading plugs. A 82 kOhm resistor in a splitter would give you 30k, using the 47 kOhm setting of the pre.

Thank you. I thought I saw you comment about that before with that link, but somehow missed it when I went looking again.

VinyLuke

Shure V15 III with Jico SAS/B:
Shure V15 III + Jico SAS-B_48kΩ_240pF_1.25g_CBS STR-100 Issue 3.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cannot do stacking yet but I don't think it is much left of my JICO SAS/B. It looks quite "pointy".

1701987474832.png

JP

Major Contributor
I can't tell from that. May be better to look from the top to see how close the facets are at the apex.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't tell from that. May be better to look from the top to see how close the facets are at the apex.
No easy to see without a proper microscope and lightning. There might be some left since there is a line outside the sharp v-lines. But I've planned to buy a new one anyhow.

1701988992798.png

narud

Shure M91 oem stylus vs old mij generic vs current black diamond

oem-
m91 oem.png

80's mij "the generic stylus"

m91 mij generic 320pf.png

evg branded nude black diamond
m91 black diamond.png

-Shure M91 with various styli
-Technics slq2
-art djpre
-320pf total. pre at 200pf, table wiring at 120pf

-i dont know how interesting this is for people, but i still really enjoy the shure m91. i have a table set up with the m91 and the art djpre on the 200pf setting for my albums that ive had since i was a kid that for the most part pretty beat up. i also use this for the initial listen to any thrift store or dollar bin albums.
- i have an oem stylus that shows some wear, but isnt completely spent yet. i picked up a handful of old mij "the generic stylus" in the blue packages off of ebay. they have the tie wire and the same cantilever length as the original stylus. i also picked up a couple black diamond nude styli back in 2020 when they first started coming out. one is evg branded the other came from rivertone. both are the same. no tie wire and longer cantilever than stock.
-before getting the script to work, i settled on the mij generic as my go to. what i enjoyed about these generics was that they didnt change the character of the cart and seemed to track about as well as the original stylus. i picked up a similar era generic in the same packaging for a shure v15 type iii and it was incredibly bright. the old generics were all 20 bucks a pop and the black diamonds were 30 so i thought they were all a pretty good deal for what i wanted from this cart.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor
Love that folks are able to get this to work. Hope to have time over the winter to get a GUI and self-contained runtime sorted to make it even easier.

Top Bottom