• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntable Wow and Flutter "Polar" Plot Script

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Not been successful at that. I find that difficult to do, maybe too bad eyes ,bad back, bad balance. Too much movement.. How do you do exactly? Mayby A fixed position USB microscope…

Last edited:
OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Something like this. I used a helping hand to hold the ruler stationary.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
The problem still is where to push/adust? Do you do that while spinning or manually turning platter?

OP
JP

JP

Major Contributor
Manually. Adjustments are made perpendicular to the groove where the stylus is.

morillon

Major Contributor
By sticking a piece of tape (typically 0.04mm thick sometimes less) on like 1/3 or 1/4 of the axis and trying different positions of the disc, would that work?

SeriousSeri

Depending on how accurate you want to be, just use an App like "RPM Speed and Wow".
I have a 360° Disc that i used in the past. I just put it on the record, push the LP to the Pin in the 0° Position and make a measurement. Then you do 90° Steps and do the newton iteration from there (always take the half angle of what you measured best before).

This will give you the best general degree for the record, but ofc this can still mean you're out of center, but as a start thats easy.

ofc you can also go crazy and use something like a DS Audio ES-001 Eccentricity detection stabilizer.

Digital1955

I'm thinking about checking and adjusting the BSL motor gain and dc offset settings on my 44 year old Sony PS-X50. Before pulling it apart I've been messing around with this script to try to get some before and after. I don't have any LPs with the official 3150hz tone. I was going through what I do have, and this was the best I could find. Here is what I got with the stock script. I also modified the script so that the radial axis is scaled from the min to max values for a different perspective.

1708707696286.png

1708707918474.png

Top Bottom